AF: Maybe just as well Renault deal didn't work out | Page 9 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maybe just as well Renault deal didn't work out

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Beentherebefore, Dec 27, 2019.

1. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

In my case, the juice is definitely not worth the squeeze. Glycemic Index too high and too many carbs!:p:D

Tony K likes this.
  2. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Do they have an extradition treaty with Lebanon?

3. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I don’t know. But France and Lebanon go back a very long time.

Zagnut27, Tony K and Adventurer55 like this.
  4. 77 Monaco Brougham

5. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Irony is, Nissan was headed for bankruptcy even with Mr Ghosn in charge. Had the Japanese waited a year or two, they may have saved themselves all this trouble.

Then again, that may have been the underlying reason Mr Ghosn wanted to merge Nissan with Renault.

Dave Z and Adventurer55 like this.
  6. Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas Well-Known Member

"The gift that keeps on giving", it's almost like the Energizer Bunny who keep it going and going and going.... ;)

7. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

John Elkann must've seen some of this, or he was extremely lucky. Either way, he made the right decision, thankfully.

Dave Z likes this.
  8. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I doubt he saw it. He was ready to do it hadn’t it been for the French government’s last-minute decision to give Nissan veto.

Knowing what I know of Nissan, and having seen Nissan and Renault work together, I’m glad it didn’t go through.

9. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Mitsubishi will be posting a quarterly global loss of $60M. Mitsubishi slumps to quarterly loss, multiplying alliance woes Not horrible, but a loss nonetheless.

This leaves Mitsubishi in a precarious position at a time when Nissan is struggling to make a profit, and Renault is seeing its income evaporate.

This week Nissan N.A. announced voluntary layoffs at its HQ in TN.

I feel for the 1/3 of Mitsubishi N.A. staff who took the offer to relocate from Los Angeles to Nashville be close to Nissan.

10. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Nissan sales keep digging themselves into a ditch: Nissan dealers sour on selling new

Meanwhile, the guys responsible for the debacle: one is basking on a Mediterranean beach, the other is now running Hyundai USA.

11. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

The executives rarely, rarely suffer. Enron is the only example I can think of. Dare I point out what happened to the guy who was driving Home Depot into the ground (after he left, the chain’s fortunes rose)?

12. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

I worked at Home Depot during that era. Oh man the morale from the long time employees were the worst. I sold my shares of that place as soon as I left, and vowed not to touch it again. I kinda wish I had stayed invested in it.

Dave Z likes this.
  13. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

And from there he walked into a job running Chrysler, and from there a sinecure somewhere else...

I wonder if Tom Gale would have taken that position.

14. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Precisely. And let's look at Stumpf for a moment. Wells Fargo was especially egregious, signing people up for accounts without their knowing it and then charging them fees and using extreme measures to extort payments.

Is $17.5 million a serious fine? I think it's like a parking ticket for you or me. Less.

Wells Fargo CEO walks with $130 million (at https://money.cnn.com/2016/10/13/investing/wells-fargo-ceo-resigns-compensation/index.html )

My guess is he also pays a lower tax rate than either of us. His Social Security payment, incidentally, assuming he declared all his income and didn't find sleazy ways to avoid paying it—and we all know he did—would be roughly 0.001% of his income versus 6.2% for you or me (or, if we are self-employed, 12.4%).

There is no real punishment for industry executives who have their companies commit felonies, much less execs who are simply incompetent. They get huge rewards and walk into their next sinecure.

As for the Boeing guy, I blame Mulally as much as anyone. When did it all start going wrong? When they told the employees “screw you” and moved the HQ.

16. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I had read today that the virus outbreak was affecting a bunch of Chinese factories that supply parts to a lot of the automakers. So this has the potential to affect everyone, not just Nissan...though they may be more vulnerable to any service interruptions.

As far as coronavirus goes, personally I think this is getting blown WAY out of proportion. But I digress....

17. 77 Monaco Brougham

I thought I had read someplace online that the European arm of FCA was experiencing parts shortages due to the disruptions in Chinese manufacturing.

It really does have the potential to effect everyone...but...wouldn't it be ironic for FCA to be one of the least effected due to having relatively less "exposure"...(I can't believe I just used that horrible pun)...in the Chinese marketplace.

Zagnut27, Stéphane Dumas and tomit like this.
  18. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

If you think it's getting blown way out of proportion, consider that Chinese official reports tend to be optimistic by a factor of 10. Having said that, it doesn't seem so far to be as bad as SARS, but with a 2 week incubation period, it's hard to say. At least the Chinese have been more forthcoming than with SARS, which went three months before official word got out of China.