Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mazda announces breakthrough in long-coveted engine technology

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by Erik Latranyi, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

If I were in the market for a new car. Not just to acquire it to improve my gas mileage. That would never pay for itself for that reason alone.

2. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Fuel efficiency is one thing. But I set that aside -

This states my interest a bit more clearly https://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-latest/mazdas-gas-powered-diesel-set-for-2019/2100004508/

In the first paragraph :

Mazda Motor Corporation will introduce the world’s first commercial gasoline engine to utilize a compression-ignition as part of its Sustainable Zoom-Zoom 2030 vision. Set to hit the market in 2019 and offer 20- to 30-percent better fuel economy than the automaker’s current SkyActiv-G engines, the new SkyActiv-X engines will be the first gasoline-fired powerplants in which the fuel-air mix is ignited by heat generated from compression–as it is in a diesel--during certain operating modes. Mazda says the super-lean burn condition this creates coupled with a form of supercharging makes the new SkyActiv-X engines more efficient than its existing SkyActiv-D turbodiesels and also boosts peak torque by 10 to 30 percent compared to SkyActiv-G equivalent. Equally important, the technology will reduce total “well-to-wheel” carbon dioxide emissions over the vehicle’s entire life cycle.

Power from smaller displacement. I prefer Diesel, personally. However, a form of HCCI using petrol/gasoline solves the "Diesel fuel isn't available everywhere" claims.

Skyactiv-G = 1.3L to 2.5L

If I could get more Ooomph from a smaller, lighter engine ( my currently vehicles are 2.5L and 2.0L, respectively) I'd want to explore that.

There isn't an easy, single summary way to measure the effectiveness of an engine (I'm not ignoring drive wheel orientation and final gearing) in a vehicle in stop and go traffic, on the open road, factoring climate and related conditions.

Fuel economy is important, but not my primary concern.

somber likes this.
  3. hemirunner426

Level 2 Supporter

4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Makes an attractive car even nicer — I did want more torque when I drove a Mazda3 (of course I drove the 2.0, not the 2.5).

Like most automakers, Mazda makes many options available only with an automatic or the 2.5.

5. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

There are also a lot of variables not yet mentioned. For instance, weight of components to withstand the heat and pressure associated with this style of combustion.

For this engine to meet long term durability, it will need to be heavy duty.

Mike

6. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Typical Mazda, lacking torque. They would probably tune this engine in the same manner LOL

Mike

7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Hard to say. I remember laughing at Honda — 125 hp (in the top Civic), 100 lb-ft. Great sprints on level ground but don’t try going into the hills on a summer day. They’ve changed their tune.

Dismiss Mazda at your peril — they really have a car that replaces the Neon quite well. Noisier than the Dart, yes, but considerably lighter; easy to toss around on the road, but comfortable and practical; and pretty well designed inside. Ugly, IMHO, but I can live with that in return for the feel that insulates but still passes road-feel through. Closer to the Neon than my (admittedly the Aero version) Dart... it strikes a very nice balance. Good economy, enough power to get by. The 2.5 takes care of any engine deficiencies. For the class, I don’t think you can do better today, without paying a LOT more.

I was stunned when I saw prices on the BMW 3-series, by the way. Ludicrously high. And Cadillac — their base model is about the same as a well optioned VW Jetta! Lower than I’d expected and better equipped.

DarkSky likes this.
  8. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

You can actually lease a BMW 3-Series for a LOT less than you can finance a mundane car. Of course, a $275/month lease is for a mundane version of the 3-series.

We now see BMW regularly being cross-shopped with Toyota and Honda, as much as with Mercedes and Audi.

For better or worse, BMW has become "mainstream" --in a way Chrysler can only dream of.

#28 aldo90731, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    valiant67 likes this.
  9. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

The real opportunity here is for Toyota, with its new stake in Mazda, to make this new gasoline compression engine available through its much broader product portfolio and distribution network.

It will need much durability testing, indeed. But, if it were to pan out, it could help Toyota re-ignite the enviable reputation for engine durability and efficiency, like the one it enjoyed from the 1970s through the 1990s.

10. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Leasing obviously favors cars with high residuals. That helps brands like BMW, along with probably applying incentives to leases rather than purchasing.

aldo90731 likes this.
  11. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

So what is Mazda looking for out of this announcement? Investors? They are already partnered with Toyota. To announce a new technology that is not ready for production is a pointless exercise unless they want something else.

12. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I don't think Mazda is announcing anything too soon.

March 2019 is right around the corner in carmaking years.

13. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I'd be pretty surprised to see to come to fruition though. Or at least be a really meaningful technology. It just reminds me of the hype around the widespread use of Multi-Air or direct injection. Good technology that has a narrower application than hoped for.

14. pt006

pt006 Active Member

I commend Mazda for trying new things. But I remember how they hyped the rotary engine and that went away. Then they tried the 6 cycle engine in their big car for a while. I think that's gone too.

aldo90731 likes this.
  15. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Indeed. "Rotary engine" was the first that crossed my mind too, when I first read the news.

But Mazda has done an amazing job, if under-the-radar, with its Skyactive engines. My guess is they are serious about efficiency and refinement these days.

16. JavelinAMX

#36 JavelinAMX, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    MJAB likes this.
  17. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Watched the first video. Interesting. The second video made me puke after 20 seconds. Sounded more like Home Shopping Club.

As the engine goes leaner than 14.7 to 1, the nitrogen oxides will increase. It'll be interesting how they get around that.

18. Nordique

Nordique Member

More efficient is great and all but does it also deliver the torque of a diesel. Doubt it.

19. JavelinAMX

Early adopters will tell us part of that story. The other part will come when end-user on-road experience leads to v1.2 ... v2.0 . Once in-service characteristics are chronicled and evaluated, we will see where the SCCI/HCCI engine type will find a place in auto history.

20. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

- massive amounts of egr or just a simple as its to lean to reach the temperature to make nox.