Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MB300 Front Wheel Differences

Discussion in 'Vans' started by FLynes, Jun 27, 2017.

1. FLynes

FLynes New Member

Why did some MB300 chassis vehicles get regular 8-lug wheels up front, while other MB300s got the extended hub and a dually wheel? Here are two pictures showing the different wheels I'm talking about. Our MB300 has the regular wheels up front, and it seems like a pain in the butt, because if you get a flat in the rear, you have no spare tire, because the spare that came with our motorhome is for the front only.

It should be possible to add the hub extensions up front, right? Is there more to it than that, and where do you find the hub extensions, because I've looked online and have only been able to find one for sale on eBay. Does anyone know the part # I would need?

Attached Files:

2. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Active Member

I believe you are correct. Early cutaway chassis were single wheel in back as well. Then dual rear wheels showed up as the units grew in size. One has to remember, Dodge had about 80% percent of the RV market at this time, they really catered to the builders and listened to their needs. As the 70s came to a close, so did RV sales and in true Chrysler fashion they walked away believing that no one would ever buy motorhomes again and as usual they were wrong. They just about walked away from the full-sized truck market as well. Thank god someone in the Corp. thought otherwise.

3. FLynes

FLynes New Member

It just makes no sense that two motorhomes, same chassis model, same year, have different front wheel setups.

4. Adventurer55

Knowing Chrysler, it's possible that it was a rolling change. Meaning that they went from the single non spaced wheel to the offset one as production ran out of one and changed over to the other. I do know that when those showed up the other ones disappeared.

5. FLynes

FLynes New Member

Now that I think about it, I remember reading some years ago about single non-spaced wheels having stress crack issues, so I wonder if this was the case with the MB300 and they went to the offset dually wheel for greater strength. That, or customers complained about having two different types of wheels, which created complications if they got a flat tire.

I have the original Bill of Lading and the Motor Home Pre-Delivery Service Inspection. The Bill of Lading is dated June 19th, 1975, so possibly the change took effect for the '76 chassis model year. It would make sense that two 1976 motorhomes would be different, one being built on a '75 chassis and the other being built on a '76 chassis.

Attached Files:

6. Adventurer55

Also bear in mind that chassis model year doesn't translate into the RV model year. I have seen RVs with model years up-to 1983 with Dodge chassis and those were out of production in the 79 to 80 timeframe.

7. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

I've noticed that as well on at least 1970's Class B coaches; the B van based platform, with a SRW rim up front and with DRW rims on the rear axle.