AF: Mechanical temp gauge | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mechanical temp gauge

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by greendart58, Jul 5, 2015.

1. greendart58

greendart58 New Member

So the temp gauge in my 71 dart went out. I did everything about it and nothing solved the problem (changed fuses, temp sensor, etc.). So my question is how tough is it to install a mechanical aftermarket temp gauge and install it on the dash? Would I have to just run a line through and hook it through the wall, or would I have to do some wire work?

2. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Is your fuel gauge working ?

3. greendart58

greendart58 New Member

No, the temp and fuel gauge are out.

4. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

Mechanical gauge, basically a thermometer can be installed but it is a little more difficult than an electric gauge with regards the installation of the sensor plus you will still need to wire it into the dash lights. With an electric gauge you will need a new sensor (which should come with the gauge and should screw into the existing threaded port), and 4 wires: a 12VDC power source, connection to the dash lights, connection to the new sensor, and ground. Buy an installation bracket and mount it under the dash.

5. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

If both of them are out in could mean that the voltage limiter is out, it is on the back of the instrument cluster and is rectangular and about 1 in by 2 maybe smaller it controls the voltage to both of these gauges. What a lot of people do not know is that for years the dash gauges where 6 volt and the limiter dropped the 12 volts to 6 for them.

#5 geraldg, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    Bob Lincoln likes this.
  6. greendart58

greendart58 New Member

Ok is that an extremely rare part to find, or can i find it at any auto parts store?

7. greendart58

greendart58 New Member

Also installation wise is it tough to fix?

8. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

Readily available. Easy install.

9. greendart58

greendart58 New Member

Ok, and it probably takes some dash taking apart i assume?

10. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

No, You can buy a bracket specifically made for the gauge and mount it under the dash in the center just above the transmission hump. Use 2 sheet metal screws to mount the bracket.

11. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I told him this the other day in his other thread. I guess he either forgot or ignored it.

http://www.allpar.com/forums/threads/temp-sensor.161344/#post-1084711952

#11 Bob Lincoln, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  12. greendart58

greendart58 New Member

Ok, that makes me feel better. Should make my life easier knowing that. I'll go and look at it later. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for the replys

13. greendart58

greendart58 New Member

Found it at O'Reilly for 55 bucks im just glad its not discontinued

14. greendart58

greendart58 New Member

15. greendart58

greendart58 New Member

I found it under the dash today, it was on the left side. Although I don't have a picture to upload I guess it was drilled on the left side over by this black box. Looks REALLY corroded. Gonna get a new one today

16. greendart58

greendart58 New Member

17. greendart58

greendart58 New Member

Ok, so I bought the new one and with easy installation it was able to go in. However, the gauges still do not work. I am noticing though that it is not in all the way, but it's not letting me go any deeper in the socket. So, am I installing in wrong? Or is something else happening?

18. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The next step might be to determine if +12V is to the converter. I don't know the pins for it, but it's +12V in and it converts that to +5V out (either mechanically as original or electronically as with some newer design ones).

19. greendart58

greendart58 New Member

Ok, how would i do that? On the piece i just put in?

20. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I'm going by memory - but one of the pins is ground. I think this one is easy to determine because it is part of the case. That leaves 2 pins, one is +2V in, the other +5V out. Is there any marking on the part for in and out? So with the part out of the car, you should be able to connect an electric meter to the ground and lug and the other end to the +12V terminal on the cluster. If you don't get a reading of +12V, the problem lies elsewhere.