AF: Meet the 2019 Cherokee | Page 26 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meet the 2019 Cherokee

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by valiant67, Dec 19, 2017.

1. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Exactly. If you compare a 3.2 powered 2016 and 2017 Cherokee, the MPGs are exactly the same but the 2017 shows as more expensive for fuel because of the mid-grade. Doesn't matter if it's FWD or AWD, the difference is there.

Why this wasn't communicated in the owner's manual, who knows? But it sure looks to be an oversight. One that might be a big deal in reality as far as emissions and gas mileage are concerned (legally vs. practically).

2. gwilliams2076

gwilliams2076 Active Member

I’m not aware of FCA making any published modifications to the 3.2 or software in ‘17 to justify a change in recommended octane.

An engine designed to run on 87 will not see any efficiency improvements using higher octanes as stipulated in the manual, therefore, there is no reason in this case to assume that mid grade would get higher milage than regular.

In the absence of any justification to use octanes higher than recommend by FCA, I’m sticking with their direction. Contrary to popular opinion, they don’t always screw up!

DAGAR likes this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Well they obviously did screw up. They reported using mid-grade to the EPA and published regular in the owners manual. One or the other is FCA’s error.

aldo90731, Erik Latranyi and UN4GTBL like this.
  4. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road

I don't believe premium is required for the 2.0T though. You could use regular with a slight performance hit (may or may not be significant) and it could still have better fuel economy than the 3.2 without a fuel price offset.

Zagnut27 and suzq044 like this.
  5. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

It would be nice if the manufacturers published your fuel economy for using various grades of fuel (if it is allowed).

Then customers could make a choice and do a real calculation of cost/benefit.

KrisW, DAGAR, UN4GTBL and 4 others like this.
  6. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Which is weird, as most vehicles that don’t recommend/require a higher octane often get worse mileage with higher octane fuel.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  7. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

The worst MPGs I've ever gotten in my Caliber was with a tank of Premium that I got when the regular gas was all sold out, back in 2008. I averaged 16MPGs!

8. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

One must ask what changed in the 3.2 Pentastar from the 2018 to the 2019 to understand why.

9. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Not necessarily related to the Cherokee, but since it includes the option now... I'd like to hear opinions on CarPlay vs Android Auto. I dislike CarPlay enough to consider switching to Android if it's got a better car interface.

10. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

Our IT guy here used an iPhone for a week while his Samsung was fixed, and was very thankful to get back to Android Auto. Said he liked it much better than CarPlay.

I've only ever used Android Auto briefly in a new Compass last summer, and it was enough to convince me to postpone my KL purchase to wait for it.

11. Ryan

I think my main problem with CarPlay is that if I exit the music app on my phone, it exits on the screen too. I don't need or want it to do that. It's kind of a minor inconvenience but I also don't like having to rely on Siri for things either.

12. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

13. Ryan

Infinitely better than the snout on the pre-refresh KL.

GasAxe and wilbur like this.