Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mercedes-Benz gets reality check from Tesla owners after asking fans if they want electric cars

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by Erik Latranyi, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

2. DarkSky

DarkSky Fully Charged
    Level III Supporter

Why wait for Mercedes to release one when you can get a car that's already out from a brand that can actually innovate? Mercedes is tied down by their ICE cars and those are going to be their volume sellers - Tesla only sells electric vehicles, so they have to put forth their very best effort. As long as Mercedes offers both gas and electric vehicles, the electrics are always going to play second fiddle to their volume (gas) vehicles.

3. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Tesla built a reputation with the luxury segment and has credibility. It did this in a very short period of time.

However, Tesla is in trouble. Reaching down to the mass market will dilute the "premium" image and its battles with quality make it vulnerable to Mercedes and others recapturing the customers lost to Tesla.

danbek, aldo90731 and DarkSky like this.
  4. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Wow, I had no idea that they were the world leader in sales for luxury sedans. Outsells S Class, Panamera, 7 Series, etc.

GasAxe likes this.
  5. DarkSky

DarkSky Fully Charged
    Level III Supporter

I doubt they'll release anything cheaper than the Model 3, which competes (favorably) with the BMW 3-Series, Mercedes C-Class, and Audi A4.

6. serpens

serpens Active Member

Mercedes didn't get a "reality check" from this tweet, that was a click-baity title. As the article later concedes, Mercedes is well on their way with creating an electric sub brand that will include CUV's and sedans. Their reality check occurred about 5 years ago.

I think you are seriously downplaying the amount of investment Mercedes is putting in with their EQ brand (VW/Audi, BMW are all-in as well). This is the whole reason Mercedes is creating a sub-brand; this whey than can create dedicated electric cars freed from the shackles of their mainstream line. They wouldn't be building their own battery factory if they weren't serious about this.

Well it's important to know many countries, particularly in Europe, were issuing extreme tax breaks that meant you could get a Model S for about half the price of a Mercedes-Benz S550. Tesla sales in Hong Kong literally went down to zero after the tax breaks stopped.

Tesla Sales Fall to Zero in Hong Kong After Tax Break Is Slashed (at https://www.wsj.com/articles/teslas-hong-kong-sales-gutted-by-tax-change-1499598003 )

7. DarkSky

DarkSky Fully Charged
    Level III Supporter

Of course Mercedes is investing heavily into it, but until their entire lineup is electrified they won't have the incentive to excel like Tesla does because they can always fall back on sales of their gas vehicles.

Donte Lindsey and aldo90731 like this.
  8. serpens

serpens Active Member

If we were discussing compliance cars like the Fiat 500e and Benz's B-class electric, I'd agree with you. Mercedes' reputation rests on its engineering; these EQ brand vehicles aren't going to be punts. This isn't just because of Tesla either, as Audi and BMW are both racing to be seen as Tesla's peers in the electrification front as well. They are well on their way to hybridizing the entire lineup anyways (starting with the new I6) so these investments will pay benefits to gas vehicles as well.

Their incentive to excel is that they don't want to Tesla to determine their future, much like Mercedes and its frenemies have been able to set the bar for the luxury segment for decades.

DarkSky likes this.
  9. DarkSky

DarkSky Fully Charged
    Level III Supporter

I think that ship has already sailed, unfortunately. Unless Mercedes has something incredible up their sleeve.

10. serpens

serpens Active Member

The way I see it, the German's have this:

1. An existing dealer network. The hype would tell you that Tesla has completely corned the luxury market, but when you look at raw numbers that's not the case. The Model S outsells the S-class, granted, but that's it. Mercedes has many other model segments they'll be entering shortly and will be able to push them out to the market quickly. They'll be subject to the same tax advantages Tesla is in other countries.
    2. The Germans have plenty of domain expertise on how to design a luxury car. Believe it or not, there are some Tesla owners can be won back. Tesla interiors don't have nearly the amount of opulence as other cars at this price point and the Germans will be able to exploit that.
    3. Manufacturing expertise. BMW's strategy is that all of their cars from 3-series forward should be able to accept electric drivetrains, hybrid, and conventional ICE. Mercedes and Audi are making separate electric vehicles. Regardless, all of them aren't going to have to go through the extreme pain Tesla is with producing mass produced vehicles like the Model E. The Germans will be able to spin off more models more quickly than Tesla as it stands now.
    4. Brand loyalty. People who are skeptical of Tesla will be more inclined to slide into an electric vehicle from a brand they know and trust rather than a upstart brand. Teslas have become a familiar sight for most people but when it comes to spending money on an unknown, there are plenty of people that hesitate.

It'll be interesting, but the established players are moving quick. Can't wait. Having a choice in any market is the best thing possible!

11. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Agree 1000%

I have been in many luxury cars. The most impressive? By far (discounting Rolls) is Tesla. S Class is there, too, but... really... sitting in one, and then the other, the S Class, just lacked that certain something. The S Class, simply put, was not in the same class as the Tesla Model S. The Tesla was incrementally superior in just about every way.

Before I had been in a Tesla, I liked them, but I did not understand why everybody made such a fuss over them. NOW, I completely understand why folks make such a big fuss. I can count on one hand (with four fingers cut off) how many cars I have been in, that had a nicer feel.

DarkSky likes this.
  12. DarkSky

DarkSky Fully Charged
    Level III Supporter

Agreed. The Tesla doesn't have as many luxury amenities but it truly feels like the future which instantly dates all other competitors. Isn't driving a vehicle that you know is years ahead of anything else the ultimate luxury?

If I was shopping for a car around $45k, the Tesla Model 3 would be at the very top of my list. Haven't been in one of those, but I'm very impressed by the minimalistic, clean design.

#12 DarkSky, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  13. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Yes, it's free of those pesky controls that let you do stuff without pulling over, stopping, and using the screen...

Personally I like the Volvo interiors far more than the Mercedes, too, if we're in that price class.

Donte Lindsey likes this.
  14. DarkSky

DarkSky Fully Charged
    Level III Supporter

Volvo does have excellent interiors. I'm not sure what you'd actually need to pull over for to adjust on the Tesla screen though... the controls are there, just in a different location. You'd just have to get used to it.

15. Chase300

Chase300 Active Member

Wow, that's quite a statement!
    Why is it I read that Tesla's are for lack of a better word "cheap" inside???

Donte Lindsey likes this.
  16. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

That's it. Tesla feels like the future. It already IS where other cars want to be. That's the difference. It makes just about every other car feel like they are thirty years old.

17. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

18. Lampredi

Lampredi Active Member

The problem is, though, that apart from the gimmicks and the obvious benefits of the electric motors for the driving experience, Tesla has not been able to get the basics right. As far as innovation goes (or rather, lack of it), Tesla has failed, because in terms of range, charging time and cost, the good old ICE is still in a league of its own, and Tesla is unable to compete.

It's an embarrassment that Tesla, purporting to make a luxury vehicle, didn't ensure that these basics were taken care of before the Model S was launched, yet here we are some years later with the new Model 3 about to be launched, and it still hasn't got its act together even after all this time.

19. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

I'm not sure any of this even matters to the "Tesla-isti".

For them, Tesla is a whole lot more than just a start-up auto manufacturer. It's a whole cultural phenomenon, and a quasi-social movement. People who buy Teslas......in many cases......feel as though they are making some sort of social statement or message.

Logic definitely seems to be taking a back seat to emotions. Leonard Nimoy's "Mr. Spock" would be quite irritated indeed!;):p:D

20. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Tesla's horrid quality is their weak spot. They are very vulnerable.

The futuristic stuff can be copied by anyone. Tesla, for some, is a novelty, and the product of the tech generation rather than the auto generation.

But, smart auto companies should know that Tesla is a house of cards waiting to fall when the right competitor stands up.

danbek and JavelinAMX like this.