Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

micro vibration in steering wheel.

Discussion in 'Minivans · Pacifica' started by voiceofstl, May 22, 2017.

1. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

On my 2016 with 10.000 miles caravan there seems to be a micro vibration coming through my steering wheel. I only noticed it on the highway after driveing 15 min. or so.
    You can't feel the wheel shake or anything like that but after awhile my hands feel like they have "fallen asleep"...its hard to describe.
    Has anyone else encountered this?

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

A small steering wheel shake is sometimes called steering 'nibble'.
    Can you see any vibration at the rim of the wheel when you hold it by your fingertips for a moment? Does it seem speed dependent? Has it had or did it happen after a tire rotation?
    Hand and wrist fatigue can be a real problem on long drives with vibration from a hard steering wheel or handlebars.

3. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

I can only "feel" it at highway speeds. I can't see any vibration.

4. Ray Green

Ray Green Living in RV heaven. You think cars are bad!

Have the front tires balanced. A slightly irregular condition can telegraph through the steering. Tape a toothpick or coffee stirring stick to your steering wheel pointing straight up. Watch it while you're at highway speed and see if it quivers.

5. Bernard Feltzer

Bernard Feltzer Active Member

My 2005 T&C did that since new. At 16k miles the power steering hose from the ps pump sprung a pinhole leak. It was a high pressure line, replaced the hose with a whole new assembly. Power steering was nice and normal after that.

Ray Green likes this.
  6. ohcdoug

ohcdoug Active Member

I have had this on more than one car...its either unbalanced tires at the front or the tire plies have separation inside...had that more than I care to say.and that means new tires.