AF: Mid engine C8 Corvette to start at right under $60k | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mid engine C8 Corvette to start at right under $60k

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by hmk123, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Add the new Supra to that list.

TheViking and aldo90731 like this.
  2. LeeRyder

LeeRyder Well-Known Member

I'm really digging it and the price is incredible.
    Homerun by Chevy.

aldo90731 and Ryan like this.
  3. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Corvette sedan and SUV next???
    At least Autoweek has a rumor Corvette will become a brand within GM....Hmmmm.

4. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

Dropping the engine over the rear wheels will make an incredible difference to traction, I like the base starting at 500HP or so. Well done GM, I love the exterior, I will have to see the interior and sit in it to see if I can fit... :)

Price point starting at $69k cdn (I have read hopefully) will make it the very achievable in the future for a lot of customers.

Wil

aldo90731 likes this.
  5. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I guess...

Detroit just can’t help it...

#25 aldo90731, Jul 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Erik Latranyi likes this.
  6. aldo90731

Auto News speculates that C8 could become a “conquest” machine.

Conquest is a big word, particularly for a 2-seater. The levels of practicality required to “conquest” in any meaningful numbers are simply not there. What C8 will likely do is attract a significant number of one-time impulse buyers into the category, who will find it difficult to keep the car due to its limited practicality.

Either way, C8 promises to offer tremendous value. That alone is bound the change the competitive dynamics within the Sports Coupe category.

Erik Latranyi likes this.
  7. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I wonder if the C8 generates any appreciable profit at $60k?

Panterasr9 likes this.
  8. Junkman George

Junkman George Active Member

With the current direction at GM I would expect an easy conversion to electric.

9. TheViking

TheViking Active Member

I wonder how many are really going to sell anywhere near the 60k base price? But regardless it's going to bring a lot of foot traffic to Chevy dealers which can't hurt either.

GasAxe likes this.
  10. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

I have a 2004 C5, last year of the pop-up headlamps. Sexy, curvy body like that of a woman. This new Vette, looks wise is about the same as the rumored black female 007. Just not right.....and what about those Camaro tail lamps?

#30 danbek, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Panterasr9 and CherokeeVision like this.
  11. aldo90731

As long as no major discounts, warranty work and recalls are in the mix I suppose.

But that number is only meant to be a headline grabber. Most C8s will probably transact much higher, and gives GM a platform from which to launch variants that compete with $200,000 cars at half that price.

page2171, GasAxe and Erik Latranyi like this.
  12. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Nice Ferrari! It's already been done.

13. TheViking

TheViking Active Member

Not at Chevy prices it hasn't.

This is going to clobber Ford's price gouging ADM dealers with the upcoming GT500. After the initial [person who likes a particular brand]s buy their cars prices should come back to earth quickly.

Ryan likes this.
  14. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

I agree with the first bit, but I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself on the end of that sentence.

I'm going to be the cynical one (for once on here) and agree with you on the pricing: the $60,000 entry version is not the one they've shown in the pictures, and it is not the one that can do 3.0 seconds to sixty. I'm going to guess that if you want the car shown, at the performance stated, you're looking at comfortably over $70,000.

Any version of this that could out-perform a $200,000 car is going to cost closer to $150,000 - you don't get something for nothing anymore, the idea of putting a powerful engine in a small body isn't something revolutionary that only GM knows, and the other guys already have lighter bodies and more powerful engines to put in them...and the other guys all benefit from being in big conglomerates too (Ferrari is different, but Ferrari's other business activities generate plenty of money to spend on making cars). And that's before you hit Chevrolet's other big problem: they're just not "expensive" enough to support that kind of price. The whole point of a $150,000 sports car is so that some guy (it's always a guy) can show off how much more money he's got than you. It's because plebs on salaries can afford to drive a Corvette that it has no value to the six-figure buyer.

Yes, there are a small number of skilled, enthusiast or professional drivers who would buy these; they don't matter for sales because they invariably buy used (competition racing isn't lucrative, motorsports is an expensive hobby, and enthusiasts tend to drive lots of different cars, changing them often).

The point is, really, that above a certain price, the intrinsic value of the product no longer matters. Someone buying a Lamborghini or Porsche is also buying entry to an exclusive club of owners; when they pay the crazy service bills, they do so in gleaming marble-floored dealerships with designer chairs in them, as befits someone who runs a $200,000 car. Pay $150,000 for a Corvette, the ownership experience is still going to be "Chevy", and the bills won't be much cheaper.

T_690 and ScramFan like this.
  15. aldo90731

Yes and no.

$60,000 is hardly luxury any more. With that in mind, the idea of a $60,000 mid-engine exotic-looking sports car will be enough for many to forgo buying a Hellcat or a GT500.

With regards to NSX: Acura is struggling very hard to sell those. The value proposition is simply not there, electric motors and all. When a car costing a fraction can give NSX a run for its money, whether C8 ends up costing $60,000 or $100,000, it only makes Acura’s efforts look over-engineered and, in the end, weak. With little else going for it, NSX’s days are numbered.

With regards to GT-R: if a mid-engine Corvette can out-handle it for 60% of the price, Nissan is toast. As good as GT-R is, the brand doesn’t have the cachet to compete on premium price.

I agree with you regarding $200,000 Porsches, Audis and Mercedes: there’s enough brand prestige in those marques to deflect an assault by Corvette. Nevertheless, it may still make the USP of $70,000 Boxers and Caymans a little more difficult to explain.

KrisW likes this.
  16. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

We agree on the $60,000 end of the market, absolutely - it's within reach of "normal" buyers, and this is going to be a strong competitor... if GM can deliver on their big words. It was the idea that this could allow GM to compete in the $200,000 range that made me blink a couple of times...

I do believe, though, when you compare versions of the same performance, the Hellcat won't be found wanting... $65,000 gets a SRT Hellcat now, and that's so much easier to justify as a purchase.

ScramFan and aldo90731 like this.
  17. TheViking

TheViking Active Member

Perhaps, but as long as Chevy still sells 600+ hp ZO6 and ZR1 versions it made little sense to stay front-engine. You can't effectively put that power to the ground without either AWD or better rear weight bias. If you pick up a some potential Ferrari, Lamborghini or Porsche buyers in the process (which they will) then that's a bonus.

18. TheViking

TheViking Active Member

IMO, Acura's problem is they didn't take enough Acura out of the NSX.

GasAxe and aldo90731 like this.
  19. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

If the c8 stays mostly out of the $100k game, it would defiantly be the every mans sports car it started out as. Perhaps more of a modern day fiero? With the newest of hyper cars coming armed with f1 engines and electric assist 2000hp, wouldn’t it make sense to stay out of that fight and go for the working class pocketbook?
    Is it a carbon tub?
    Is is fuel bladder?
    Maybe it could fight, but it would be totally outclassed

20. aldo90731

The lesson we should have learned by now after watching the JT launch is that pricing matters, and matters a lot.

That one number has the power to make shoppers line out the door or slap them on the face. It all depends on the perceived value it creates within the context of the brand reputation, the underlying quality, the styling, and the product performance/capability specs.

#40 aldo90731, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    page2171 and TheViking like this.