AF: Mid engine C8 Corvette to start at right under $60k | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mid engine C8 Corvette to start at right under $60k

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by hmk123, Jul 19, 2019.

1. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I don’t follow much of anything to do with the Corvette. Has quality been an issue for them?

2. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

There’ve been some driveline complaints, and the occasional engine problem. Nothing too much above the norm for GM that I’m aware.

My point is: if GM is going to come aggressively on price, it better have it ducks in row. It wouldn’t take much to throw the entire project into the red.

I think GM is counting on Corvette sales to grow significantly and, by doing so, help those margins.

GasAxe likes this.
  3. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

I took note that the $60K version will have cloth seats and the Chevy reps were quoting the sub 3-sec 0-60 times for the Z51 package which is not on the $60K base model.
    So we are probably looking at $70K+ by the time we add a decent interior trim and the Z51 package I suppose?

4. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Like the famous swallows of Capistrano, aging Boomers return in droves to Chevrolet (GM) showrooms when an all-new Corvette comes out. And that moment has arrived.

Last week GM debuted the new Corvette — the C8, as it’s known — and it’s shaping up to be something special, with a rear-mounted V8 engine (a first for the Corvette), short athletic front end, wide rear haunches, and what finally looks like a nice interior. The new ‘Vette looks more supercar than muscle car.

[​IMG]
    TUSTIN, CA - JULY 18: Mark Reuss, president of General Motors Company, unveils the 2020 mid-engine C8 Corvette Stingray during a news conference on July 18, 2019 in Tustin, California. (Photo by Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images)
    But many of the Corvette faithful — men pushing over 60, possibly pony-tailed and post-second divorce (I kid, I kid) — aren’t happy about the massive changes to the Corvette’s tried and true formula — namely a huge front hood with a big V-8 engine underneath, tall front fenders, and small back end buttoning up that long coupe silhouette. And don’t get them started on the lack of a manual transmission in the new C8.

[​IMG]
    1980 Chevrolet Corvette stingray, 2000. (Photo by National Motor Museum/Heritage Images/Getty Images)
    And therein lies the problem facing GM. Aging Corvette buyers aren’t getting any younger. The median age of a Corvette convertible buyer is a staggering 67 years old, according to research firm Strategic Vision. The same firm finds the median age for the BMW 6-series is a relatively spry 54, and the Nissan GT-R, a youthful 33.

[​IMG]
    TUSTIN, CA - JULY 18: The 2020 mid-engine C8 Corvette Stingray by General Motors is unveiled during a news conference on July 18, 2019 in Tustin, California. (Photo by Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images)
    Meanwhile, as you may have guessed, Corvette sales have been slipping, from 37,782 in 2017 to only 9,686 in 2018 — the lowest total since 1959, when only 9,670 Corvettes were built, this according to data compiled by the National Corvette Museum.

Now it’s true sales numbers may have dipped as likely Corvette buyers waited to hear more about the much-rumored C8, and Chevy likely scaled back production in anticipation of starting the new ‘Vette. But the numbers don’t lie, and the sales decline on its face is quite significant.

A new beginning for the Corvette
    This is where GM decided to go “out with the old, and in with the new” — for the car, as well as its customers. The look, features, and specs makes it obvious that the new Corvette is meant to resonate with younger, more enthusiast sports car buyers who want the Corvette to be a track fighter, not a boulevard cruiser with massive straight-line speed. The all-new design is European sports–car-esque, with a supercar-fighting 495-horsepower heart sitting aft of driver, and a cockpit that finally screams quality.

[​IMG]
    TUSTIN, CA - JULY 18: The 2020 mid-engine C8 Corvette Stingray by General Motors is unveiled during a news conference on July 18, 2019 in Tustin, California. (Photo by Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images)
    “The potential for success for an all-new, mid-engine Corvette is high, assuming the price/performance equation makes sense,” writes Karl Brauer, executive publisher of Kelley Blue Book. “The Corvette has always offered incredible bang for your performance buck, and if Chevrolet can produce a V8-powered, exotic-slaying mid-engine sports car for less than $70,000 it should sell as well or better than the current Corvette.”

5. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

It was a good move by GM IMO. The Camaro had already entered the Vette performance arena so GM needed to provide more performance separation between them and this will.
    It should bring in new customers who would have never entered a GM showroom. I see this attractive to those who grew up through the "Fast and Furious" times but being older can afford now something more upscale and would be attracted to the mid-engine layout and its performance potential. I could see this being coined the "smart mans" McLaren.

aldo90731 likes this.
  6. aldo90731

One factor not mentioned by GM executives for obvious reasons is that Corvette had become the poster child of new retirees. While this gives Corvette steady sales, it creates clear image complications.

No doubt part of GM’s decision involved C8 attracting a greater number of young buyers. I’d say it succeeded.

Panterasr9 and Erik Latranyi like this.
  7. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

It will have succeeded when those young buyers actually buy the cars. Right now, GM has managed to get as far as "I want one", which is a major improvement on previous models.

But while the young might now have the motive, it's still only those older customers who have the means and opportunity.

AlexB and T_690 like this.
  8. AlexB

AlexB Active Member

And its at a "Chevy Dealer".....it not like those buyers ( Porsche/Ferrari) want to "rub elbows" with the Chevy clientele. Hence the Bolt lack of sales.

ScramFan likes this.
  9. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

I have to say it looks great and I like any great American product so hats off to GM i hope they sell a ton of them. The corvette has always been an American icon!

tomit and aldo90731 like this.
  10. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

They copied a 1961 Imperial for the steering wheel! lol!!!

Yes, too many lines. Back end is confusing. Did a stylist from the Aztek program sneak into the Design studio??

11. wolfsblood07

wolfsblood07 Active Member

It always used to be that stick shifts were faster than slush box automatics. You could burn rubber in 3 or 4 gears.

12. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The people crapping all over this C8 simply don’t realize the iconic status Corvette has in the American car culture, even if it comes from a lowly Chevy dealer.

13. AlexB

AlexB Active Member

It became "passé" with Tesla and Dodge being way more relevant to American Car Culture.
    And that's a FACT.

ScramFan likes this.
  14. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

No, that would be your opinion.

15. AlexB

AlexB Active Member

NO,a simple look various enthusiast culture formats proves that.
    Nobody getting a "Corvette tattoo", people are getting Hellcat/Dodge/Hemi tattoos.

ScramFan likes this.
  16. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

People get all kinds of tattoos. Bashing the popularity of a car based on tattoos is probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on this site. o_O

17. Ryan

Corvette has proven itself with staying power. Time will tell if Dodge’s performance-focused marketing of the past 10-ish years also has staying power.

This is why tattoo removal procedures exist.

gforce2002, valiant67 and page2171 like this.
  18. AlexB

AlexB Active Member

"ridiculous"
    Not if you understand lifestyle, and culture.

ScramFan likes this.
  19. AlexB

AlexB Active Member

AARP & Sears have staying power too...

ScramFan likes this.
  20. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I know it’s not a representative sample, but my group of car friends have posted much more about this Corvette than all the Charger/Challenger variants of the last 5 years. And my group of friends is heavier with Mopar people than Chevy people. This reminds me more of Viper level excitement of the 90s, which was much bigger than Hellcat/Demon/etc.

TheViking, Ryan and page2171 like this.