AF: Mild redesign for the Pacifica | Page 6 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mild redesign for the Pacifica

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Mr.Source, Dec 29, 2019.

1. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

That's one helluva midivan there....throw in a turbo and AWD, too!

Zagnut27 likes this.
  2. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I know, right??!! I am in no way, shape, or form a minivan fan, but I would definitely be interested in something like that...or an off-road, Jeep equivalent. AWD or eAWD would be a must. I don't know if I could sell the wife on it though...she's a much tougher audience than I am. :D

3. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

If they are bringing AWD I truly hope it's e-AWD to reduce the fuel economy penalty for AWD. My Journey AWD is a pig.

UN4GTBL and Tony K like this.
  4. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I think for Pacifica it would have to be eAWD because of the stow & go seats, a traditional mechanical AWD system can’t fit IIRC.

Ryan, codypet and Tony K like this.
  5. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

Yea its kind of a no brainer for the Pacifica. The technology exists in the smaller Jeeps, and its long been reported the end of AWD in the 4th gen minis came because of SNG. I know it was also rumored in the current Pacifica, but I suspect the tech was either not ready or they wanted to launch it in the Jeeps first because margins.

6. Powdered Toast Man

I may not wait for the refresh. I'm casually looking at 2019's and 2020's right now (My Journey just held me up for another 180 bucks - thermostat - and it's got some sort of odd whine coming from the transmission). We want the PHEV model too. It would actually be kinda cool to have the matching vehicle to my 200 in the garage :)

Quambi, UN4GTBL and gforce2002 like this.
  7. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

2020 Pacifica Hybrids are finally starting to hit lots, there have been a bunch of delays on them. When we test drove one last year we loved it. Hopefully ours will show up next week.

page2171, somber and Dave Z like this.
  8. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I’m thinking the tech wasn’t ready yet, since we were talking about the eAWD here all the way back in 2016, and it was supposed to be “coming soon” in Pacifica IIRC. Now it’s supposed to be arriving in the small Jeeps. I just hope they’ve had time to iron out all of the bugs (I say this for all automakers with this tech). Having two separate motors powering two sets of wheels...I shudder to think of what could go wrong if the system isn’t in sync at highway speeds. Sometimes being blissfully unaware is best....:D

9. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

Sooo... curious about the complaint here. For those wishing the grand caravan to stay, is it because you love the van or the price point?

ive seen many suggestions to add a crosshair grill to the Pacifica, and say they did and matched the gc price, would that appease? Or do people like the older platform that much?
    I may be in the market for a van soon, but a used one. My brother had a town and country and HATED it. Then a journey and now a Pacifica. He adores the Pacifica, but I haven’t had a chance to try driving it.
    At work I am regularly taxied between 150-300 miles per trip, usually in a minivan. Mostly in caravans, Some Hondas and Toyotas and the odd suv. Caravan eats the miles best, IMO. So I have some love for the gc. But if the Pacifica/voyager is better, and the price is right, I’d have no problem with one in my driveway

Doug D and Tony K like this.
  10. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

You need to ask yourself what you want out of a vehicle. Although the pacifica and gc are both minivans they both act way differently. The pacfica has newer tech and rides/handles more like car

UN4GTBL, dodgeismycar and Tony K like this.
  11. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

I’ll wait till I’ve driven the Pacifica/voyager before I make my decision, I’m just curious of exactly what the pro caravaners are so adamant about? The name? The price point? Or the actual vehicle itself?

12. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

THe Caravan is a bit more truck like, it handles better and doesn’t look like a spaceship. Pacifica looks like a nice van for a Mom, the Caravan does not look out of place at a construction site.

13. Powdered Toast Man

I think we just hate to see a nameplate with 35 years of brand loyalty tossed aside. Also the Caravan was always the more affordable “Everyman” van whereas the Chrysler was more upscale. It’s silly of FCA to assume that all those Caravan buyers will simply switch to a Chrysler for their next purchase (as the deletion of Plymouth proved that buyers don’t). It just feels like corporate stupidity to end the Caravan nameplate.

UN4GTBL, Tony K, vipergg and 5 others like this.
  14. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

We'll, I don't see many Caravan's at construction sites. Rams, Silverados, and F150's, yes, but not Caravan's.

UN4GTBL, Tony K, tlc and 2 others like this.
  15. NWbyNW

NWbyNW Active Member

I recently read a long term (year long) review of a Pacifica Hybrid in Motor Trend, and they loved it... except they didn't. It was in the shop almost nonstop and had problems all the time. :( But they said when they actually had it working, they loved it. Sadly it is one of the few vehicles they couldn't recommend simply because of the nonstop issues they had. It was at the dealer longer than anything.

16. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I think their review of the Giulia they were testing basically said the same thing. Loved it, when they actually had it.

UN4GTBL and Tony K like this.
  17. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

Recently I rented a GC-SXT for the period of just over a month. Initially I needed a truck to do so hauling prior to the holidays but one was not available so, I got it for the lesser cost as a replacement. I was not disappointed. Loved it more than I thought I would. I only had a couple of concerns: rear suspension seamed a bit too happy (rebound) at normal hey speeds; not sure how it'd perform andfully loaded. Also, I desired less roll in turns at speeds upwards of 35-40 mph...

18. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

A few thoughts.

My wife and I looked at a Pacifica when they first came out. She loved it and this was one of the lower trim levels. Unfortunately my wallet didn't - the one we looked at had a MSRP around $33K. That's more than I paid for my '06 Ram 1500 14 years ago.

In December 2018 wife totaled our Journey. Insurance paid for a rental which was a '18 or '19 Grand Caravan which was nicely equipped. The 3.6L V6 could really get up and go. Fuel mileage was decent (for a minivan). Asked her if she liked it and would want one (our 4 children are grown, but we do have three grand children). Her reply was "it's just not speaking to me." She really wanted a 2 seater sports car, but ended up with a '14 Equinox (that one "spoke" to her).

My daughter (with three children) will have finally paid off her '12 Hyundai Sonata this month. She really needs a minivan though I think a Pacifica might be beyond her reach financially. The pricing of the Grand Caravan would be more in line. Truth be told, that's the only reason she would consider a GC. She has really taken an interest in the new 8 seat SUV from Hyundai/Kia, but again I think this will be beyond her price range.

Makes me wonder how many GC buyers really wanted a Pacifica, but could not afford or qualify to purchase one and "settled" for a Grand Caravan.

Mr. Fusion, UN4GTBL and Tony K like this.
  19. pug-man

pug-man Well-Known Member

We'll I've owned Dodge since 1987 Dakota.
    I like the the image, the logo(s), and the name itself.
    The only Chrysler I've ever been attracted to is the 300. That car combines class and toughness in my opinion.
    I'm no longer in the minivan market but I'd still choose dgc. It may boil down to some extent to intangibles.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  20. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

When I have to drive my Wife’s Red and Black 2019 Compass I feel Ike I’m driving a chick car, Dark Grey or Green look more like a guys ride. I believe it’s the same with Vans, Guys who work in the trades and get their hands dirty, like the Caravan while office workers like the Pacifica. Of course this is not a hard and fast rule, but it’s not completely off base either. As a rule Tradesmen make a lot of money so that is not the issue, it is mostly a style decision or maybe lifestyle. Would you take a Pacifica down a Fire Trail on a Hunting Trip? The Caravan is a common site while Deer Hunting.