AF: Mild redesign for the Pacifica | Page 8 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mild redesign for the Pacifica

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Mr.Source, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

In Canada the price differential is pretty high.

UN4GTBL and gforce2002 like this.
  2. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

Yep. Even the basic models are well into the 40s.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  3. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

The Straight Pipes guys are awesome and well worth a subscribe.

Powdered Toast Man and Ryan like this.
  4. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Key word is "rural." In more suburban and urban areas, a minivan being used as a work vehicle is pretty common, similar to the way the larger cargo vans are used.

5. Mr. Fusion

Mr. Fusion Active Member

Couple of small corrections: The shop-queen Pacifica that Motor Trend had was a regular Limited, not a Hybrid. Separately they remarked that they also tested a Hybrid for a much shorter period (few weeks) and had no problems. But yes, that Limited they had was a real horror show.

Their long-term Giulia Quadrifoglio went a year with zero problems, as MT writer Mark Rechtin likes to point out occasionally. He did so most recently in regard to the Genesis G70, which replaced the Giulia as their Car of the Year long-term daily driver, and has had some shocking issues. The G70 update is pretty illuminating.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  6. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

I see Grand Caravans frequently being used by handymen and painting contractors as work vehicles. But, I don't see them using new ones. These are usually ones that are on a second owner and are well used.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  7. page2171

We do our fair share of deer hunting around here. Enough that our kids don't have school the first week of deer hunting season. With that, I don't see people out hunting with a Grand Caravan (our any other minivan). It is all pickups or full size SUVs with a hitch receiver mounted platform.

Tony K and tlc like this.
  8. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Well-Known Member

The pricing is all weird on the websites right now. But, gone are the days of the $19k Grand Caravan AVP.

9. flffddy

flffddy Active Member

Given that the Caravan used to be sold as a Ram work van, the fact that people are purchasing GCs for work uses should be no surprise. They're fantastic for that purpose.

10. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

Most likely because they are an incredible value on the used market due to high depreciation.

page2171 and Tony K like this.
  11. page2171

That's why I bought both of mine gently used. One year old and under 20k miles both times, and significantly cheaper than new.

12. 97 plymouth neon expresso

97 plymouth neon expresso Well-Known Member

Yes they are, even a beat-up high mileage one is much better than a new Promaster City, which someone thought would make a good GC (Ram) C/V replacement

13. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

but most service vehicles (cable, package delivery lika Amazon,plumbing services) use Promasters.

ScramFan likes this.
  14. 97 plymouth neon expresso

Yes they are using Promasters with the 3.6 Pentastar with the 6 speed transmission (just like the Ram C/V used), not Promaster City,

valiant67 likes this.
  15. Mr. Fusion

Mr. Fusion Active Member

There are a couple of major players who have fleets of Promaster Citys (Xerox, WASH), but other than that they seem thin on the ground.

I was pretty shocked when FCA announced that they were killing the RAM C/V. Yeah, the sales were low, but it was built on an existing line in a factory that had the capacity...I mean, just build to the demand, what have you got to lose? Then again, I am also disappointed that it was such a poor seller in the first place...how did businesses not see the value in that van? Or if nothing else, how did its unique size not find a niche? Sure enough, once the C/V was gone, the Metris came in to fill that size category. Are you happy now, commercial buyers? Is the Metris really what you wanted?! o_O

16. valiant67

valiant67 ...

That's FCA's fault (and its predecessors) for not cracking that market with the Ram C/V, Caravan C/V, Mini-Ram, and whatever other names they may have slapped on the commercial van other the years.
    The GM plant in Doraville cranked out the commercial version of the Uplander minivan even after they stopped making passenger versions of the van. If I recall, they even delayed closing the Doraville plant for a while to make more of them. Every morning and every evening I'd see trucks loaded with plain white vans leaving the factory as I drove by.

page2171 likes this.
  17. edvan

edvan Well-Known Member

I have been reading a bit about AWD systems using an electric motor in the back. If the electric motor in the back is more than say 30HP, it seems to me it would have to be Hybrid model only. If it is a small motor like the Prius, then maybe gas only models of the Pacifica might be possible. I just sent a letter to Chrysler asking for a CCS type 2 plug in the 2021 or 2022 hybrid Pacifica. I live in a condo community, with no garage or driveway so have no way to charge a Hybrid. A CCS system that supports say 50KW would be great when high power charging stations are available.

18. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

It wasn’t FCA fault. Just the change in the market favors pro master type vans than the conventional C/V van. In the DC area, I’m seeing tones of Ram pro master vans being driven by uhaul, Cable installation services, contractors, Amazon, or as independent service providers. There are a couple of Ford versions around being used as plumbing services like “Michael and sons“. But not many Minivans are used anymore unless it’s a used and worn out van by a struggling contractors that could do anything they can get they hands on.

19. 97 plymouth neon expresso

I don't know anyone who favors a Promaster City over a Ram C/V. Yes there are a ton of Promasters used by many large companies, not too many large companies are using the Promaster City

20. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

They seriously tried. The ultimate was done early on by Fiat, as I recall, with a completely redesigned interior engineered specifically for contractors and upfitters. It failed dismally. People only wanted traditional commercial vans until Ford brought out their Transit and then everyone wanted Ford Transits. It's like front-drive and SUV police cars, nobody wanted one until Ford sold them. Or turbo engines.

Tony K and tlc like this.