Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miss my old Gran Fury!

Discussion in 'Police, Taxis, Ambulances, etc' started by Chrononaut, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Chrononaut

Chrononaut Member

Howdy, everyone! Man, reading all this stuff about squad cars makes me really miss my old '85 ex. NHP Gran Fury. Bought it with 83,000 on it and had it 'till over 500,000 miles on the clock. No foolin'! Original motor, too. Reliable 318 4 bbl., A999 and 2.94's. I had to re build the tranny once due to a bad pump, and went thru three Q-Jets due to junky California gas. Even in it's faded out Earl Shieb paint, she still scared the bejeezus out of countless motorists who would always either quickly put on their seat belts, or check to make sure they were on. Cars wouldn't pass me on the freeway, which was frustrating. It came with the original chrome spotlights and push bumpers which gave it an even more scary look. She was fast for an m-body, I won't say how fast, but triple digits were involved. After several years of ownership, I re-did the interior. From the headliner to the floor, everything was either new NOS, good used-refurbished, or in the case of the headliner, new. Back then in the early to mid nineties there were tons of these cars, used, for sale in the traders, at auctions or in the salvage yards. Lots of them were still on the road as daily drivers, taxis and some were even still in active police service. I never had the sagging torsion bar problems that a lot had. Probably because she came from a completely flat state with no pot holes, and long, straight, deserted stretches of highways. No rust, either, because I'm told Nevada doesn't use salt on their roads. At least they didn't back in the day. Sure wouldn't mind owning another old Mopar squad. Any leads? Old Mopar squad stories? Mopar to ya!

2. peterjon1

peterjon1 Well-Known Member

I have always wanted one of them. There's a dealer only auction near me, and I had given someone with a dealers license instructions to get me one. When one finally came through, it didn't sell, so the owner was trying to sell it in the parking lot. My friend told me about it after the fact, said it needed an exhaust, and he wanted $250 for the car, so he didn't pick it up.:(

3. Chrononaut

Chrononaut Member

Aw, man, that sucks! An old squad for $250! Unless it's on fire, you'll never see THAT kind of price again! They really were great cars and were so durable and reliable. The new Chargers are great squads, but you can't touch one for less than eight grand. My Gran Fury was overpriced at $2,500 because I bought it at a small, independent used car lot. He bought a small batch of them at auction in Nevada and was going to offload them to his usual customers for retired police cars, the local taxi companies. But instead he thought he'd try the general public. The only takers were private patrols and security guards. No one else wanted a big blue sedan with spot lights and chrome push bumpers on it. When I check E-Bay motors and Craig's List, there are few to no older patrol cars for sale. The few classics that are there are rusty overpriced chum-buckets. There used to be a glut of them in the Auto Trader and similar publications. Along with them were LTD's, LTD Crown Vics, Mustangs, All three different R-body squads, along with all the GM squads you can think of. I used to haunt the local salvage yards here and it seemed like the supply of all these cars in there would never run out! It was a parts picker's paradise! Diplomat 'Bullet hole dog dish hub caps' used to literally litter the ground and cost $2.50 apiece. I see them now, used online for $50.00 each! Ah, well.......the hunt for another old 'prowl car' goes on. anyone?

4. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

My favorites were my 88 and 89 Gran Fury's that were old Ohio State Highway patrol cars. I bought the 88 at the state auction for $1500 with 90k miles on it and ran it to 200k with no big issues. I think it was around 1995. I loved the silver exterior (an old Chrysler color, Silver Cloud Metallic, not the standard silver for that year) and the lighter blue interiors used in 88 and 89. Ohio got the cars well equipped (tilt, power locks, nice cloth seats, carpet) but no cruise control, radio or power windows. All I can remember about the auction was the taxi companies were going crazy bidding on the Chevys, ignored the Plymouths and were lukewarm on the Ford cop car. A couple of taxi companies even had car carriers (the semi truck kind that could hold 5-7 cars) in the parking lot.

Last year I bought a used Magnum cop car after the county was done with it. It had a few electronic issues but was a decent car and pretty dependable once it started. I sold it because I wanted something AWD or 4WD.

5. Chrononaut

Chrononaut Member

Sounds like an awesome Gran Fury you used to have, Valiant! I've seen the Ohio cars from that year and they were real lookers! That interior color was nice, too. I knew a guy with a retired CHP Diplomat that had that interior color. 60/40 seats, velour cloth, power windows and rubber floors. He installed an air bag steering column and air bag wheel from a Fifth Ave. that was junked but didn't have it's bag deployed. His car was on the cusp of Chrysler's installing them on the late 87's, so the holes for mounting and installation were already there, he just bolted everything in. My car, being an '85, didn't have the holes. Mine had 40/40 buckets in dark blue vinyl and light blue diagonal tweed cloth, along with the oil pressure gauge and the 'lock fast idle' control and AM radio. Out of the salvage yard I bought and installed the AM/FM version, an under dash map light from a '70's diplomat that went under the passenger side below the glove box in the exsisting empty hole. I also scored a Grote 'ticket light' for the ceiling, lights for the glove box, ash tray, under the dash by the parking brake and a 'key in ignition/door ajar' chime from a Fifth Ave. My car didn't come with the switches or the holes for the door ajar option, so I had to pirate them from the same Chrysler that donated the other high end parts. Installing them was easy once I drilled the right size holes. In the same salvage yard I found a mint, black heavy duty plastic composite console box in a junked Le Baron squad (sob! boo-hoo!). This box was made for bucket seat squads and had a semi hard, dense foam covered lid. I've seen others that were tan, also. Under the hood I installed a set of the light blue Good Year silicone hoses from another AHB Dippy, an engine oil cooler from another one, along with a Hemi orange, twin snorkel air cleaner from a junked '75 Monaco , 440 CHP car (sad, but someone did junk it. But I did salvage the 140 certified speedo, but lost it in a house move along with my huge certified speedo collection) : ( Along the way, someone in the car cub I belonged to donated a gallon of NHP blue, a half gallon of NHP silver and a set of replica decals for the restoration that was already underway. I had already installed the correct radio rack, gun lock, radios, deck lights, antennas and siren with an under hood kill switch. I never got around to finishing the project, and gave the car to someone else. Now I own and drive an '87 Reliant, but I still miss that old Gran!

6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Ha ha ... I really miss my old regular 1977 Fury (b body)... like Chrononaut’s Monaco.

valiant67 likes this.
  7. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I had one of those too!
    Actually two. First was a 360 powered 77 Fury wagon, an Ohio Department of Natural Resources car. Just a civilan car that was in a government fleet.
    Second was a 440 powered 78 Fury from the Washington State Police. I sold it for what I thought was a really good price back in the 1990s. It's probably worth 5 times that now.

8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

If I had the garage space, I'd have gotten a new old one... but I only have space for a Valiant!

9. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter