AF: Missing the boat without a midsized truck(Dakota 2) | Page 25 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing the boat without a midsized truck(Dakota 2)

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by CDJSalesPro, Aug 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

yup--though ironically the LRD looked best (IMHO) painted jet black

2. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

Yeah, they didn't make many.

Thankfully.. lol.

I say that as a former LRE and current Dakota RT owner..... I just never could get past the squarish nose and the curvy rear fenders, too much of a dichotomy for me.

Mike V. likes this.
  3. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

He's convinced we should badge engineer a Dakota and Jeep truck together. The problem is, the two vehicles are/would be too different, and one or the other would be compromised.

4. md80891

md80891 Active Member

Try the photos that start the thread.
    Motor Trend initial review of the 2016 Tacoma is up.

5. srm3500

srm3500 Well-Known Member

I think FCA is missing out here as more and more people are looking at midsize trucks again. the hardest thing to do is keeping the cost down IMO but I would like to see something based off the renegade or charokee platform and then drop this in it. http://cumminsengines.com/cummins-announces-results-of-atlas
    Just look at those MPG numbers (and they already tested it with the 8 speed ZF) at 35 and that was a half ton truck. I could see something smaller and lighter getting 40MPG out of that engine. There is also an article at www.pickuptrucks.com with a china truck testing with this engine. If they could make something like this and price it around $35,000 for a loaded model I think they would sell great and have lower models with the 2.4l base priced at $18,000, a mid one with the 3.6l base priced at $22,000 and the diesel base price at $26,000, would be a hit.

WS23Mopar likes this.
  6. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Oh, you mean the Photoshop on top and the Colorado on bottom that a) would be a poor Jeep, or b) if made like a Jeep would be a poor Colorado?

Mike V. likes this.
  7. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I'd like to see that source that says people are "looking" at mid size trucks. I'm sure, as Dave has mentioned time and again, that FCA has done market research and it shows that at the present time, there is not a good business case for another Dakota.

If you want a vehicle that gets good fuel mileage, then one should not be looking at trucks - buy a car.

8. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

9. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

Guy at work has a new Colorado quad and it is a beautiful truck in the brown color scheme Chevy has . To me it seems like a happy medium for people who want smaller to be able to get it into a garage. While not really small there is a noticable difference againt the Silverado.

10. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

The sales data proves it too.

Mike

Doug D likes this.
  11. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Looks like this market is making a case for a Transformer® truck :)

12. IronMike3406

IronMike3406 Well-Known Member

As a owner of both trucks and a multiple Dakota 88,92,94 and Ram QC 4.7 2002. I must say I enjoy the Dakota much more intimately than I do the Ram !!!! I am with MoparDanno on this one Gen3 styling with a Hemi and I would definitely have another Dakota in my garage !!!

MoparDanno likes this.
  13. srm3500

srm3500 Well-Known Member

Sorry but I think if FCA were to make a new MID size truck they better not try and stuff a big V8 under the hood. This truck would need to stay smaller this time and get good MPG too. Also don't try and have a towing war with this, a 5000-6000lb max would be fine and not cut into the full size Ram.

I don't have a source I just read Ford, chevy and Ram forums and many people are asking for a new Ranger and Dakota.
    I also hope they don't look to long and miss something by being the (possible) last one on the market (IMO BE the competition, not wait and say "me too") BTW what in the world do you mean one should not be looking at trucks for good MPG? Ever hear about the Ram ecodiesel that gets 29+ ? (many owners that I talk to consistently get 1-2 more than that!) and that's as good or better than some cars FWI.

14. valiant67

valiant67 ...

For all the people on forums looking for a small truck, there really aren't many buying. (remember it costs next to nothing to post and say you want something - but how many put money where their mouth is).
    At one time 15 years ago the Ranger ALONE sold more per year that all of the small trucks added together sold in the US last year.

GasAxe, Doug D, TheMan and 1 other person like this.
  15. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

It's meant in general terms. Trucks, historically, have not had great fuel mileage though the average fuel mileage has been going up. The Ecodiesel is the exception. Most truck buyers I know use them as trucks (hauling, towing, etc) - not necessarily as fuel misers. And consider only 1 of every 5 Rams (20%) FCA manufactures are Ecodiesels. That means 80% are V6's or V8's which don't get near the fuel mileage of a Ecodiesel though, yes, the V6 does fairly well (25 mpg hwy).

"Many people" doesn't mean squat unless you have some real numbers behind them.

16. md80891

md80891 Active Member

Eco Diesel sales are limited by engine supply.

Cornupenuria and Moparian like this.
  17. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

These kinds of arguments discount brand loyalty. If it isn't from GM or FCA I'm not buying.

Moparian likes this.
  18. valiant67

valiant67 ...

While it does discount brand loyalty, most people aren't brand loyal. If there was a big demand for smaller trucks, we'd see a lot more of them sold regardless of the make from those shoppers who would buy any brand that meets their needs.

19. dodgeatheart

dodgeatheart Not THAT guy again!

20. Int

Int Active Member

JKU12 and burtstwins like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.