AF: Missing the boat without a midsized truck(Dakota 2) | Page 26 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing the boat without a midsized truck(Dakota 2)

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by CDJSalesPro, Aug 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Just heard that ford is looking at a future Bronco and Ranger. It will be interesting to see what direction this will take. The old Bronco wit optional bed cap would be outstanding. Hope Jeep does a pickup like that.

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

The Ford Ranger was a "small" pickup. No way did I consider it a "mid-size" truck.

3. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

That's funny, the Ford rumors and reports were mentioned many many many pages ago in this thread. Suddenly it hits mainstream media and everyone posts about it.

Funny.

Mike

MoparDanno likes this.
  4. valiant67

valiant67 ...

But yet even this article praising the smaller sized pickup market says two contradictory things:
    then this:
    Note that the projected growth to 300k units is still less than Ranger's sales alone (350k) some years back.

JKU12 and Mike V. like this.
  5. Mike V.

It's easier to ignore reality.

Mike.

6. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

Ford bringing the Ranger back to the US in a crowded small market makes way more sense then FCA starting from scratch to try to accomplish the same thing.

7. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Don't get me wrong, I really wish the Dakota would come back. Or a Jeep truck like the Gladiator concept (but not one like the conversion package, not enough bed).
    But the market is just so small now.

8. 12soldier

12soldier Well-Known Member

It's crazy how they had the flexibility to make the 4 door XJ, the 2 door Xj, MJ long bed, and the MJ short bed. But a Wrangler truck is too much to ask.

9. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

A Wrangler truck with the current setup, or a Wrangler truck on the JL?

The biggest reason (or one of the biggest) for no current Wrangler pickup I believe is capacity. The thought is plant capacity increases could allow them to sell more Wranglers and perhaps some variants.

freshforged likes this.
  10. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Plants were more flexible in the past because there was more manual labor involved in the assembly of vehicles.

11. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

Dead horse. Every Wrangler built is sold. The plant cannot feasibly produce 1 more Wrangler per year than it is right now. How can it produce Wranglers AND Wrangler pickups? Solve the Toledo problem and FCA has a blank check with your name on it.

freshforged likes this.
  12. dodgeatheart

dodgeatheart Not THAT guy again!

Sorry, I can't keep up with these multi-page threads. Unfortunately, once they get to where people are talking about their old Dakota they had back in '91, I tune out for a few pages.

Kinda like the Dart 0-60 chatter on the vegas thread. There's an extra page and a half of that off-topic crap.

#512 dodgeatheart, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    HotCarNut likes this.
  13. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

THEN REPORT IT.

Then one of us moderators can get a reminder to go in and clean it up when we are done with our other chores.

14. TheMan

TheMan What color are the clouds in your world?
    Level III Supporter

Yes it is inthe current plsnt.

freshforged and burtstwins like this.
  15. james.mooney.

james.mooney. The Poster Formerly Known As "Bethlumboy"

^this^...

...and ^this^, as well as the fact that the carriers in the plant are not big enough to carry a vehicle longer than the Unlimited, which limits any Wrangler-based pickup to a two-door model, which limits the appeal of said truck, which would limit the sales of said truck, which, when combined with the other factors mentioned above, makes the investment needed to develop such a truck not worth the expected returns, at least IN THE CURRENT PLANT AS IT IS CURRENTLY CONFIGURED.

(Did I get that right, Mr. Sheaves??)

freshforged, JKU12 and TheMan like this.
  16. TheMan

TheMan What color are the clouds in your world?
    Level III Supporter

No they aint got enough monsy to do that. Go read how i ecplained it should be done.god help me it is easisr to hwrd cats than imprint N explanation around here.

Yep.close enough.

Prabhjot, freshforged, jwp44 and 7 others like this.
  17. md80891

md80891 Active Member

Tacoma will hit 170k this year. GM will break 100k for the twins call it 105k, Nissan will hit 70k I I think it is already at 350k.

18. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Even then, it's still not greater than Ranger alone.
    it's a market that is a mere fraction of what it was. 3/4 of the market is gone compared to the peak.
    According to the article Dakota wasn't even around for the peak (1986, unless it's calendar year then Dakota was there for part of it).
    I don't think you an make a business case for a Dakota at 50-75k yearly sales (and that's probably optimistic) unless the price is high.
    Which small truck market do you chase?
    Maximum cab/minimum bed (ala Explorer SmartTrac)?
    7/8 or some scale truck with high capability at the expense of better economy (ala Chevrolet Colorado)?
    FWD higher economy with reduced capacity (ala original Rampage)?

Doug D likes this.
  19. WXman

WXman Active Member

It's funny how in this thread we see it admitted that people want a Wrangler pickup but we can't get one because they don't have the capacity to make any more Wrangler vehicles, and then in the very next post we see discussion about how people don't want small trucks anymore because they only sell X amount of them, ignoring the fact that it's a capacity issue and not a demand issue. LOL.

If GM could make more of the "twins" and push them out the door, they'd sell every one. Those trucks already sell faster than any other truck in the U.S. If Ford does in fact build a Ranger with a good powertrain option, it'll sell like MAD. The new Tacoma is going to sell like MAD. When the new Frontier hits with the 2.8 Cummins next year they won't be able to make them fast enough. People DO want small trucks. It's just that there haven't been any fresh options in the last 10 years.

20. Mike V.

Clearly you are misreading this thread.

Mike

dmcdonald and JKU12 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.