AF: Missing the boat without a midsized truck(Dakota 2) | Page 27 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing the boat without a midsized truck(Dakota 2)

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by CDJSalesPro, Aug 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I haven' seen any one post a market research report showing the demand for a mid-size truck is worthy of chasing. Those trucks aren't selling like "mad". Not compared to the overall market. There maybe customers interested in a small truck, but it's a small portion of the sales market (2%). One that FCA doesn't have the funds to chase for questionable return. FCA doesn't exist to satisfy our every whim - they exist to turn a profit.

Funny how there now is people supposedly demanding a mid-size truck. Where were you when Dodge had the Dakota on the market?

ScottB likes this.
  2. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

It's been said before - the automakers sell every vehicle they make. The dealers - that's another story entirely.

The marketplace contraction in smaller pickups is very similar to that of the minivan - and we argue about that, too.

I'd think we'd sooner see a Ram 1000 (ie, a lighter/decontented 1500) than we'd see a "traditional" Dakota.

ScottB likes this.
  3. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Most were buying full size trucks for only $1500 more.;)

The "demand" for small trucks and that the Dakota should be resurrected argument has crossed over to pure internet silliness. Yes, a small or midsize truck can sell, but only in numbers up to 20-30,000/year at best in the current market. That's not going to change any time soon unless the demand drops with more efficient full size trucks and utility vehicles. The only route for a small truck is the Jeep scenario which cannot be done until after more capacity for production is built and even then, it won't be the small, efficient utility truck like small trucks were in the 1980's. It will be built for minimal bed capacity and high on Wrangler off roading characteristics. It will cater to the off road enthusiasts and dreamers who currently buy Rubicons for their suburban commute.

And really, for all the success of the Tacoma, who doesn't believe that Toyota would trade all that success for better Tundra sales?:p

Doug D likes this.
  4. GuidoFL

GuidoFL Well-Known Member

The price of the RAM and other full size pick up's has gotten outta hand ! If someone brings in a real no frills work truck, I wonder what would happen if it was priced say $5000. lower ???

5. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

That's not a bad idea. Nothing wrong with a 4x2 with the Pentastar that can get decent MPG and can hopefully be purchased for under $20K after discounts. That would seem to satisfy most of those people looking for inexpensive transportation with good utility. The only drawback would be size......which is what attracts some of us to the mid-size trucks.

6. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Yeah and I was one of them.

Looking back I'm still glad I purchased the Ram over the Dakota. Truck buyers can be a finicky bunch. Fuel mileage is not usually the overriding concern. Capability is a bigger factor. Most truck buyers (customers, not consumers) know trucks generally don't get great fuel mileage (the EcoDiesel is the exception).

GasAxe likes this.
  7. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Don't feel bad Doug, I choose a 360 Ram over a 318 Dakota in 1997. The extra room and moar powah made it the easiest few bucks a month I ever spent.:)

8. Stratuscaster

Take that Ram 1000 idea and you just bought yourself 4-6 years to actually develop a compact/mid-size truck. ;)

9. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Believe me, I'd love to see truck prices come down but I think it's unrealistic to think that any truck is going to sell under $20k. The cheapest Ram I could get online was just over $25k with discounts. The fleet deal my company has for extended cab tradesman 4x4's are priced under $30k. Really, if anyone is price limited that badly, I don't see the allure of buying new when they can get a much better equipped used vehicle.

MPE426HEMI and Doug D like this.
  10. md80891

md80891 Active Member

And that solves the parking, turning, handling and economy issues how?

11. 12soldier

12soldier Well-Known Member

Don't make the truck in Toledo. Make it anywhere else. If Holy Toledo is so swamped, then build it elsewhere and have some shared parts with the Wrangler shipped from new truck plant to Toledo to help with their downfalls and keep up with demand. I mean if it's only expected that the Wrangler type truck will be producing 30-40,000 a year and Wrangler can't make more than number X, then it's the most logical reasoning to build it somewhere else and leave the Wrangler there. There will be some freight and shipping issues, but I'm sure they'll find a way around that too.

12. md80891

md80891 Active Member

What was the discount on your truck compared to the Dakota

13. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Ahhh... it's been so long I don't recall what discounts were available but the difference was only around $2500-3000 if I remember correctly. The dealer was making more money moving full size trucks than the Dakotas though, I do remember that.

14. Stratuscaster

It doesn't. Just like the lack of a new Dakota today doesn't solve them either.

15. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

I was buying another XJ Cherokee (2001). For two reasons.
    One, production was ending and I wasn't going to buy a Liberty.
    Two, the Dakota Quad Cab needed to be 2 or 3 inches shorter to fit on my side of the garage with my work bench at the back.
    Then the Dakota turned ugly.

* A four door pickup isn't as important now since the kids are older, have their own vehicles, etc.

But an extended cab mid size that is just as long as a four door just with a longer bed isn't cutting the mustard either.
    4 1/2 foot bed is what someone needs to come out with,

16. GaryS

GaryS Well-Known Member

While the degree of demand for a new Dakota might have crossed over into Internet silliness, there still is a demand. I really don't care. However, I would buy a new Dakota, but I won't buy the massive Ram. My need is the size to carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood, seat two people with storage behind the seat, capable of light towing, and have at least a thousand pound payload. If they made a Jeep pickup, it wouldn't be for me, as I don't want 4WD and a Jeep without off-road capability is an insult to the brand. Consider it my tiny token of respect for Norm and others who cherish Jeep history and tradition.

The great unknown is not what today's demand might be, but what it might be five years in the future. Whether due to finances, lack of vision, or just bad luck, Chrysler has a rather poor record of having the right product available when government emission and safety rules change, or fuel prices spike up or down, or styling and faddish trends evolve too rapidly.

17. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

[​IMG]

Try to ignore 2007-09 ;) All Chrysler sales fell during that period and there was a mild fuel crisis. You can see that the dakota did pretty darned well in its first redesign! Not quite in Ram territory but if the reports are true and sales are not borrowed...

18. md80891

md80891 Active Member

What I would like to know is given that a platform is a set of hard points. How much variation in body style is possible ? Was KK snd Nitro where itd basically a grill the limit? The start of the thread had a chop from an enthusiast site. Basically eliminating the lower grill, rounding the fenders and aging s Camaro look.

19. md80891

md80891 Active Member

There was one year we beat Tacoma

20. md80891

md80891 Active Member

at the time frame of Dakotas demise the CEO at the time when asked about Dakota sales responded he was not concerned because Dakotas margins were high. I mailed Dave at the time because the used Dakota was more expensive than the like ram parked next to it on the lot. Discounts on Ram were heavy at the time. Local dealer would not stock the Dakota the last two years because it could not compete on price due to discount. You could order however.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.