Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Model Engine displays??

Discussion in 'Models - Games - Toys' started by 528-Hemi, May 18, 2016.

1. 528-Hemi

528-Hemi Member

Well guys as I'm sure you all know by now, I LOVE building and detailing engines, (they're part of a bigger picture BUT can be a "center point" to a full kit.

NOW I have a different idea..... If you'll follow me here....

I'ma BIG Mopar kinda-guy, WELL taking into consideration, I mold just about EVERY Mopar engine commonly found, or known of, I want to take and find ONE used piston of each of the Mopar engines..... A REAL piston 1:1!!!!!

Well on a search I found a 12.5:1 Compression Ratio 426 Hemi piston, And that sign-sealed-and-delivered this idea and project! I bought it for $15.00, Made me a Happy Modeler!!!!

Getting it, made this whole Idea, thought a real reality! -So, to continue, Heres that 426 Hemi piston (YES I measured its diameter, its 4.25 inches across, making it a TRUE Mopar 426, AND it happens to be a NASCAR piston! Has ("PC" in the pistons skirts all the way around, WHICH I believe stands for "Petty Corporation") from Pettys Garage way back when!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its used, so it has the explosion marks in it, and all that so, I have some cleaning to do! RIGHT NOW it sets pretty cleaned (I wire brushed it with a brass wire brush (so not to scratch it or scar it, so that it can have a smooth finish on it, that can be polished up so that I can clear-coat it for starters.

ONCE thats all polished up and nice looking, I'm going to begin making the "shelving" that will fit in the recesses where the rings were to display models of the "426 Hemi" and its different ways it was offered for sale.

Since getting this one, in-hand, and making this sort of "pipe-dream" a reality, I've scored a Bill Elliot 358 Piston, a 318 dual valve relief piston and a dished 360 piston! SO, you will find MORE of these displays coming! (I plan to put ONLY the model engines around the piston of that piston........... Stock, racing, and aftermarket looks.....

ENJOY more will follow later! -Thanks for viewing! Let me know what you all think!

MPE426HEMI and DC-93 like this.
  2. 528-Hemi

528-Hemi Member

WELL I thought working on the models and waiting on things to dry, or glue to cure, whatever, I'd get right to polishing up the ole Dome......... PISTON guys, get yer mind outta the gutter! LOL

ANYWAY, that <Model Engine Display "Center Piece" 426 Hemi piston> is lookin' pretty good!

[​IMG]

Looking NICE!

[​IMG]

Looks GREAT without all that crude on it!!!!!! Will look even better when I have it shiny enough for clear coat to seal in the polishing!

[​IMG]

It does in fact have a few "beauty marks" on it. uncovered from the removal of the "burn" it got over time.....

[​IMG]

Parts number, anyone?

[​IMG]

I forgot totally just how damn big these things were!!!! Even with a missing fingure or NOT those pistons ARE HUGE!!!!!

[​IMG]

You bet I measured it!!!! I wanted a true 426 High Compression piston, WELL I got one!

[​IMG]

Piston skirt stamping, is a bit interesting.....

[​IMG]

See it? "PC", does that stand for "Petty Corperation"???? I think so, but I am not sure!

Thanks for looking more WILL follow!!!!

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  3. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

Perfect Circle.

Perfect Circle made a piston knurler that embedded PC while knurling.

Thanks
    Randy

[​IMG]

DC-93 likes this.
  4. 528-Hemi

528-Hemi Member

Thanks Randy, I wasn't sure I just had this thought it may have been you know? I appreciate the information on that marking. Your piston has it right-side-up, mine is up-side-down, what gives? LOL

So that means that this is an aftermarket piston, right, not true Mopar performance part? (Sorry for al lthe questions) Just trying to get all the info I can on it, since its gonna be a display piece.....

5. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

Knurling is an old process to reduce piston to cylinder wall clearance.

Done back when parts were more valuable that time.

Looks like a factory Chrysler Hemi piston that was knurled to keep an old Mopar racing!!

Great project!!!

Thanks
    Randy

DC-93 likes this.
  6. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Sent a note to Larry Shepherd who used to run Mopar Performance Parts/Direct Connection and showed him a picture of the piston. Here is his answer.

Hi! Ed!

1. It is not a production piston - easy answer!

2. It is either a 12-to-1 (NASCAR) piston or a 12.5-to-1 (Drag) piston.

3. Aftermarket - maybe - probably made by TRW - probably dates from the early 1970's - 71 or 72 maybe - based on the Chrysler part number.

4. It's a Chrysler part number but I no longer have access to the part number books. Typically the piston used the Chrysler design number (issued by Chrysler Engineering) but it would be sold by Chrysler Parts/Direct Connection etc - as an assembly - with pin which would be a slightly different number.

GLHS60 and DC-93 like this.
  7. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

12.5 to one was used in the circuit track engines. 13, and even higher, was used in drag engines.
    The pistons I have in my 426 Nascar engine are 12.5 to one. Each piston is stamped with the block i.d. number and the hole location.
    I was lucky enough to find a vintage short block assy which was built at the Motor Room in Highland Park, and in the 88 in Feb. 69. There are no part numbers on the pistons. The crank is stamped with a late date in Jan. 1970, with the last time it was freshened up at Chrysler Engineering.

GLHS60 likes this.
  8. 528-Hemi

528-Hemi Member

Thanks guys for all the help & info on this piston!! It seems that it was a 12-1 compression but thats OK, I'd LOVE to get my handsw on a Drag one too :rolleyes: LOL

Anyway, its gonna have a BUNCHA model engines surrounding it in time! BUT that will come in time!

Anyone know what the "STOCK" ones looked like both 10.1 AND the 11.1? as well AS I THINK they even made STOCK 11.5:1? Yes/no?

As far as the way I'm gonna do the model engines is unclear yet, I was originally thinking to make "shelves" for them to sit on, in the top compression ring, NOW I'm thinkin' I may use the oil ring drain holes... in like "stilts" holding the engine up (this would give a nice even spacing)

IF I went the oil ring drain hole way, I could "paint" one of the ring spacers, "Hemi Orange" and one "Black" just for contrast.... BEFORE I clear coat the whole piston.... Something like this:

[​IMG]

Then below that in the oil ring, recess there are drain holes to get oil inside the piston to the wrist pin as well as the cylinder walls, BELOW the compression rings so.... Those holes may become the place the engine stands may be made to "mount" that way I can do a little contrast on the piston itself with some Hemi Orange and black to go with the natural "silver" of the dome! As I do what to add some insignia to the 426 Hemi and the Mopar "M".... Thats going to be put somewhere in plain sight on the dome itself!

Just speaking out-loud guys.... whats your input?

9. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

Looks good to me but I'm waiting for your 2.2 SOHC Turbo Engine!!!

Thanks
    Randy

10. 528-Hemi

528-Hemi Member

Randy, say what? 2.2 SOHC Turbo engine? o_O Not sure I have ever mentioned a 2.2L SOHC engine LOL

11. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

I don't think you did, its one of my all time favorite Engines!!

I was only dreaming!!! LOL

Thanks
    Randy

12. 528-Hemi

528-Hemi Member

You referring to a model of it? Have pics? I ask as I MAY Have one in model form, that if your a builder, I can see what it take to mold it in resin! (I make my own resin engine parts for my model builds!)

Let me know!

13. 528-Hemi

528-Hemi Member

Well guys in a bit of absence to this project (I had to allow some time between things to happen properly).

Anyway, I got that top polished, nicely (I LEFT the "beauty marks" ALONE) -And I simply lacquer clear coated over the dome only. I then had to primer the space between the compression ring (top one) and the scraper ring (the middle one) This "space" I painted Hemi Orange. THEN, the "space" between the middle ring (scrapper ring), and the lowest ring (oil ring), I had primered that one too and painted it Gloss Black. The lower part of the Piston, I plan to "darken" it chemically. Once thats done, I plan to Lacquer clear gloss over EVERYTHING! I then want to add some decently polished "rings" in the top and middle groves, for looks only. The oil ring grove is where I will be using to mount the "stands" to for the model engines that I want to put around it.

Have a look at the progress so far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And there ya have it BEFORE the "skirt" of the piston has been "darkened" so. I have a bit to do yet.... So, stay tuned! I have all the Model Engines to build and detail!

Comments welcome! ~ENJOY!

14. 528-Hemi

528-Hemi Member

Well guys, one of our members here has helped me GREATLY with sending me 2 more pistons! One is to a Mopar LA 273 (I miced it out) and the other is to a LA 360, (I also miced that one out as well) to make sure what engine they belong too! -So that when I make the model engines, they are the actual model that piston!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This piston above is to the LA 273.... As the member that sent it to me can witness it was all burnt black and needed some real cleaning. This as seen now is the first stage of polishing!

Stay tuned, the other piston is to follow! Thanks for looking Comments welcome!

15. 528-Hemi

528-Hemi Member

Now the other piston..... its the LA 360 piston I mentioned, it has since taken a bath in oven-cleaner to remove grease an oil just like the 273 and 426 Hemi pistons have. the oven-cleaner makes them look as your about to see:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Noticed a little scarring on the piston edge.... I'll file and polish this out, a little I'm NOT gonna remove it all together, (I class that as "Beauty Marks") So, only to a light extent will they be removed.... -And thats why I was looking for "JUNK" pistons, I don't want to break a "set" of them, from anyone.... Singles only! AND to that, I'll work with what I get.... The condition of what I get...

[​IMG]

This one will shine like the other one as well, I'm just going one stage of cleaning to polishing at a time, PLUS I have to see what I have for Mopar engine paint. I want the space between the rings to be painted! Like the 425 Hemi that you see, the space between the compression ring and the scrapper ring will be Mopar engine Red on the 273, and Mopar engine blue on the 360. The space between the Spraper ring and the Oil ring will be Black on the 273, and that same space on the 360 will be white.... The tops OF ALL the piston engine displays I do will be polished and clear coated, NO paint! I plan to put some sort of insignia on them to show that each is WITH Mopar emblem of some sort....

Stay tuned! I got the Hemi piston damn close to getting some engine made for it! I want to clear over the whole thing BEFORE the model engines are made to go onto it!

Thanks for looking, Comments welcome! ENJOY!

16. hemirunner426

Level 2 Supporter

Would you want pistons from a Chrysler industrial flathead 6?

17. 528-Hemi

528-Hemi Member

Yes I'd be interested, what ya lookin for cost for it? PM me on it please!!!!

18. hemirunner426

Level 2 Supporter

You can have 1 or 6.i don't want anything for them.You pay shipping,they are yours.I am in Northern Ontario,Canada,don't really know how much shipping would be,might be to much?

19. 528-Hemi

528-Hemi Member

I'd take one for sure BUT because yopur in Canada, I'd have to have you see whaty cost would be and then go from there (It could be pricy as I'm in New Hampshire USA so....

Take one and see what they estimate the shipping cost on it.. and then let me know if ya would! Let me know if thats fair!

20. hemirunner426

Level 2 Supporter

Can you give me your zip code,i guess snail mail would be cheapest.