Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mopar’s already geared up for 2018 Wrangler JL

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Oct 31, 2017.

1. wilbur

wilbur Active Member

I was too busy looking at the scratches on the axle to notice that. good eye... :)
    Another thing they said and I think it was also mentioned on the forum is the raising of the fenders to allow 35's stock... I really like that as I am not the greatest fan of lift kits. Nothing wrong with a really good setup, but the cheap ones can be pretty scary.

Wil

2. Dr. Jeep

Dr. Jeep Well-Known Member

You can get 35's on the JK as well with no lift (Mopar has a high clearance fender kit for the JK that does the same as these JL Rubicon fenders). However, I agree with you that this is set up a lot nicer on the JL. With a JL Rubicon you already have OEM wheels with the correct offset and backspacing for 35's, so you don't need to buy new wheels. The axle width on the JL is also properly setup for 35's, so you don't mess up the scrub radius like you do by putting 35"-compatible wheels on the JK. The JL has strengthened C's that seem like they won't be as susceptible to bending like they are with 35's on the JK's D30 and D44 (with really hard 4wheeling). The JL has upgraded thickness of the axle tubes on the D44's, again, not as big of a concern with bending with hard wheeling on 35's like the JK. Lastly, the JL Rubicon has upgraded brakes basically equivalent with the Big Brake Kit that you could get from Mopar. There are so many things that they thought of for 35's on the JL Rubicons, it really is a complete package for that tire size. They aren't kidding when they say 35's are package protected on the Rubicon.

Agree also about preferring this style of fitting 35's over lift. While lift provides improved clearance elsewhere, it also increases frontal area by quite a bit. Fitting 35's with a fender modification and keeping the frontal area lower by not lifing the suspension also helps fuel economy (a bit).

This all has to be figured in on the price of the JL Rubicon as honestly it will be quite a deal over the JK Rubicon, even with a price increase. You have to figure that for the JK to get to the same point with 35's, it needed:

- brake upgrade kit (~$1000)
    - high clearance fenders (~$500 - $1000)
    - new wheels ($750 - $1300)
    - axle tube sleeve and C reinforcement ($300 + welding and assembly costs)

...and that doesn't include installation cost. And you still aren't on par with the axle width improvements and scrub radius of the JL Rubicon without replacing the front axle entirely. There's a minimum of $3500 improvements baked into the JL Rubicon just on those above items alone... and being package protected for 35's the JL is going to be covered under warranty on all of those components, whereas if you do that stuff to your JK... forget it...

xjgary, wilbur, GasAxe and 2 others like this.
  3. wilbur

wilbur Active Member

Thanks for taking the time to explain the differences between the Jk and JL rubicon’s.
    will 35’s fit on a sport or Sahara without modification?

Wil

4. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JL makes JK look so cheap looking. One thing I am really happy about FCA US Product Design Office is they are putting a lot of detail into their designs. For the past decades, vehicles were slab sided and just lacking body lines and all the design focus was into headlight design. It feels like the PDO is getting back into the 90s swing of things were Chrysler's design was more of an art than anything.

Mark Allen & Ryan Patrick Joyce and the rest of the team should be extremely happy with how beautiful JL turned out.

#524 redriderbob, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    xjgary, AlfaCuda, aldo90731 and 8 others like this.
  5. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Our own Patrick Rall is at the first drive event... here are a few pictures from him...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He's driving a new Hurricane errr eTorq Sahara model

[​IMG]

Jeep is going all out bring out the new models and vintage Willys, CJs and Wranglers.

6. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

7. LordHobbit

LordHobbit Active Member

I just realized the Jeep badge is gone from the front. Looks are iconic so it's not needed apparently ...

8. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Yep, it's back on the side where it belongs ;)

wilbur, UN4GTBL and GasAxe like this.
  9. zack_falcon

zack_falcon Active Member

10. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I really like those Sahara wheels. They look like gears, or bearings, or zipper cogs. All of which infer “traction”.

GasAxe and dmcdonald like this.
  11. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Am I seeing correctly that JL has “halos” around the headlights?

If so, that’d be great, and reason to ditch those silly fender-mounted LEDs.

12. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Yes JL does.

aldo90731 likes this.
  13. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

It is fixed.

14. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Next step...full steel roof as an option perhaps?

15. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

The power top can be removed but it's not recommend from what I was told. The standard freedom hard top can still be easily removed as before.

16. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

It's always been speculated but no official word. As a global expansion of the brand it make sense to me. Also the waist line styling que would greatly help to break up the body and look for a full steel design. Just my opinion with no back up info.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  17. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work...
    Level 2 Supporter

One step closer to a "Lux" Wrangler!

UN4GTBL and GasAxe like this.
  18. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

It would be nice...more livability over a regular Wrangler...perhaps more akin to the old XJ’s. It would be interesting to see anyways.

MJAB likes this.
  19. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Sky One is fixed on JL with six bolts from what I was told. Two front, four rear. You then have to unplug a harness, remove rear quarter windows and rear window as well to remove. Far more complicated than that of the Freedom Top and Soft Top. Also its one big piece, so have fun trying to lift it and store it somewhere. FCA US said its possible, but don't recommend doing so with the Sky One roof.

Hope that makes sense.

20. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

wagoneer