Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mopar in pro-stock

Discussion in 'Motorsports / Racing News' started by prowler, Mar 20, 2017.

1. prowler

prowler Member

What in god's name has happened to Allen Johnson? He can't even get his car down the track. How did one of the most efficient operations come to the level that it's at? Watching yesterdays race was painful especially with all the Chevy's. All last year the Mopar's were down on power and just about got smoked every race. Same thing this year. What is going on?????

2. bill burke

bill burke Member

The R+D dollars from Mopar that were small last season have dried up completely this year as Mopar has pulled support for Pro Stock. Pro Stock unfortunately has drifted too far from a "stock" car and that loses informed fan interest. Ford and Dodge had proposals on the table to revamp Pro Stock with more stock appearance and less exotic engines, I have read from an insider. That was rejected by Chevy and NHRA who have always been linked at the hip, and Ford pulled out and Dodge followed a year later. Both brands have chosen to put more money into sportsman racing. An almost all Chevy Pro Stock racing will soon become irrelevant and fans will lose interest quickly. Time to make the factory showdown stock class the new Pro Stock and use the factory built cars that fans love, and that small racers can campaign on a reasonable budget. I feel the old Pro Stock cars might work as the new Funny Cars, with a few minor modifications like nitro fuel mixtures, larger tires, and little other changes. Again that might bring more participants with smaller assets to compete and fans to watch cars that today are more like airplanes than cars. Too many seats are empty at NHRA events and fans are talking with their pocketbooks and staying home.

Wade in Minnie likes this.
  3. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

That and on top of that when they limited the rpm range that really hurt the hemi's as they make more power after the rpm limit.

Beentherebefore likes this.
  4. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

I now fast forward through pro stock, I couldn't care less and find it hard to believe that NHRA is so short sighted

5. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

2016 Pro Stock Problems, Solutions, and the Future - Hot Rod Network (at http://www.hotrod.com/articles/2016-pro-stock-problems-solutions-future/ )

6. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I am ff too, for the first time in 25 years. I don't waste my time watching "Pro-Camaro" or any other series that features "Brand C" with no effective competition from other brands, particularly Mopars.

danbek likes this.
  7. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

There's been serious discussion about that for quite some time. If as many people continue to "boycott" PS as I am hearing about (including myself), a changeover to something close to the new "Factory Stock' class might just happen. Mopar is way behind there too as Ford has been pouring $$$ into supporting about a dozen top FS teams and Mopar couldn't even hang onto David Barton who just cleaned up in his "Brand C" FSer @ the Gators. The other problem is that the current entrenched PS teams have lots of $$$ invested in their current setups and won't go down without a fight. NHRA would probably offer to put them into Comp Elim where they would be racing for 10% of the purse that they race for now. Mr Anderson & Mr Line would not be happy.

Dave Z likes this.
  8. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

NHRA's updated rules for Pro Stock are not favorable for the Hemi's. That's the bottom line. It has nothing to do with R&D or how much money Mopar pays to support the racers in the class.

Mike

Smitman, Dave Z and Devildodge like this.
  9. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

When you can't beat Mopar or Furd...change the rules

dana44 and Dave Z like this.
  10. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

It's the truth. The RPM limit for the fuel injection era kills the Hemi.

Mike

11. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

One thing I have always told my Furd and Shivy friends...when mopar finally supercharges their cars you will lose hands down everytime...now look what they are giving us and how the other brands haven't won.

And as history has shown numerous times...change the rules.

Go to ford or chevy social media...they aren't saying one thing about straight line acceleration.

I wish the run what you brung class (whatever that would be) could be more showcased on the national level beyond reality shows.

Mopar rules the race tracks and drag strips...but always loses to the rule book

hemirunner426 and Dodgeguy1961 like this.
  12. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Ultimately the rules change that was supposed to help Pro Stock be more relevant is actually making it less relevent.

Mike

danbek likes this.
  13. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

That is what i was trying to say...I unfortunately am ignorant to the classes...they can't see the Mopar village is growing and they keep building walls

14. prowler

prowler Member

I realize that Mopar has pulled out of PS but as far as AJ is concerned he's been at this game for years. Obviously the engines are down on power but as last year his car won't even launch half the time. A few years ago when he was PS champion his car took off like a rocket ship. Between last season and this season, he can barely get off the line. Why is his Dart unable to make complete passes and just about every Chevy goes from point A to B with no problems? It just seems to me that with all AJ racing experience launching the car to go from point A to B would be the least of issues for this team.

15. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

When he won the championship several years ago he had a completely different car with completely engine setup and completely different people tuning the suspension.

Letting Jim Yates go was a huge mistake.

Mike

16. mopar22

Last year was the first year with fuel injection. Everyone had issues at some point. It doesn't really matter if you can launch or not when you know if the back of you're not gonna make it very far and more then likely watch teh camaro run right by you

17. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Excerpt from an interview with Chris McGaha on the problems with trying to make the Mopar PS motor competitive with the "Brand C" motors. Interview is shared from the HRM Facebook page and there is a lot more technical stuff in the complete interview for those of you that are Facebook members.

HRM] Why do you think the Mopars are consistently behind the GM Pro Stock cars?

CM] The Hemi has issues, and I know that because I ran it in 2012. I’ve worked on the Hemi and run the Hemi. Those engines at 9,000 rpm are 30 hp back on their best day from a Chevrolet. I’ve done everything under the moon, and I know what’s wrong with it. We dusted off our flow bench that we never use anymore, and I showed my guys what’s wrong with the architecture of the Hemi: they can’t make the torque a Chevrolet does—in fact, they don’t even get close. When they lowered the rpm in Pro Stock, it was instant death to Dodge. I even talked to Elite about this when they were thinking of going over to Dodge. I said, “Have fun going straight to the bottom.” They thought with this new head that is not a mirror design it would fix the problem, but the problem is the intake-port location. If you take the same intake port and just go down the head with it, that’s not going to fix it. It’s where the intake valve is positioned in the cylinder head. Even though the port is short, you used to make it up on the manifold because Dodge intakes were always 3/8- to 1/2-inch longer than Chevrolet. When I was doing the engine for Kramer last year, I tried to make it as much like a Chevrolet as possible. To judge on the dyno, you have specific dyno carbs that you never mess with—you never change jets, you never do anything to them, you just make sure they don’t leak fuel. But you measure how much fuel is going through them, and that’s how you can tell if you’re improving anything—by measuring fuel flow. I was able to get the Dodge to make the same fuel flow as the Chevrolet, but the Chevy on my dyno will make 1,500 peak hp. Now the Dodge could make about 1,470 hp, but that was at 9,000 rpm. It was a night-and-day difference. You had the same fuel flow, but the Dodge could not make the power at those fuel points. Others may want to differ, but I have tested them and have the facts to back up what I’m saying.

18. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

I have read a lot about this. All of the rules changes seem like they were legit, and the were meant to make Pro Stock more relevant.

Except the rpm limit, and the new hood rule. When they made those changes, they had to know that they would, effectively, be legislating the Dodges out of existence. Or is it a "hind sight is 20/20, sort of thing?

19. BrianinMpls

BrianinMpls Member

Its a bummer, I dunno but I think I remember a quote saying something like "the Hemi turns on when the others turn off". No high revs, No win?, but I'm riding a 340 so I may not know any better...... :)

20. mopar22

Yea you're thinking of the interview with AJ