AF: Mopar Norm RIP | Page 13 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mopar Norm RIP

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by JTE, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

Thanks, but the link is not working for me.

TommyDodge likes this.
  2. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Hi Jillian,

Please receive my most sincere condolences to you and your family.

As you can tell from these pages, your dad touched many of us. And while he did virtually, he did in a profound way.

If anything, his leaving such an indelible mark through the Internet may be the greatest testament to the kind of person he was.

I will always remember Norm, the MoparNorm.

Aldo Martin

#242 aldo90731, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    PCRMike, TommyDodge, UN4GTBL and 14 others like this.
  3. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Taking a moment in the midst of such a difficult time for your family and you is humbling. Thank you for responding. You're seeing - and the rest of us are seeing - genuine thoughts being shared spontaneously. Heartfelt and real communication, sadly, over time, occurs less and less in normal conversation anymore. But this is one of those rare moments where it simply wells up from within. Godspeed to you and the Layton family.

#243 JavelinAMX, Jun 20, 2015
  4. 1969 300

1969 300 Well-Known Member

Best wishes to Norm's family. If there was one word that I could describe him as was "Gentleman." So many other forums are hissing contests, but people like Norm made Allpar one of the best.

5. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

The fact that Jillian, so soon after her father's death, came here to acknowledge our grief demonstrates that Norm was also a phenomenal father.

PCRMike, TommyDodge, UN4GTBL and 24 others like this.
  6. y2kyamr6

y2kyamr6 Well-Known Member

Hi Jillian,

Your Dad was a great part of this community and will be greatly missed, I am glad that we can pass along to you and your family what your Dad meant to all of us here even though there are many of us he never met.

I work for a Chrysler dealer in TX and you Dad helped me when even my service department could not. I sold a Rubicon to a customer that was taking it back up to Canada for work and needed to have a engine block heater installed. After being told that there was no such part for a Wrangler that we can order from Chrysler I asked your Dad for some help. He told me to see if there was a part that was offered for the Grand Cherokee V6 and if there was it would work. I checked with my service department and there was, I had them order that part and it worked perfect for the Rubicon. Without your Dads help that customer would have been trying to find something that may not have worked for his Jeep.
    Your Dad helped a lot of people with questions on their Jeeps from around the world, please pass along condolences to your family.

7. Jillian Layton

Jillian Layton New Member

If anyone is in the area and would like to attend the services for my Dad they are being held on July 1 at 2pm at the Bethany of Montclair Church 9950 Monte Vista Ave, Montclair, CA 91763

8. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Well-Known Member

In the late 1950s and early 1960s I did a lot of tent camping with family or friends In Colorado, Northern Arizona, Utah, and Wyoming. I can visualize [maybe an induced memory, maybe real] somewhere seeing a family camping in a green FC170 with a camper shell. There was a young boy who looked and behaved a whole lot like Jay North's rendition of Dennis the Menace. I also remember envying the FC170 camper. Remember, I was tent camping. I think it was the only FC170, or FC150 for that matter, that I ever saw with a full-length camper shell. I did see a few such campers on Dodge and Ford forward control pickups or chassis cabs. I wish I had taken a picture.

#248 Cornupenuria, Jun 20, 2015
    TommyDodge likes this.
  9. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

If at all possible; Dave, the owner of Allpar would like to do a memorial story on your dad but, he needed permission first from your family out of respect.

Mr.Source, TommyDodge and danbek like this.
  10. BASONE88

Supporter

Jillian thank you for reaching out to us, here. I, personally, was concerned (but think it may have been a collective fear) that the Layton family wouldn't ever know how important he was to members of this website.

11. 4540 motorsports

I have been following this forum with a keen eye and updating Mopar Norm's wife as to how many replies and all the love and respect shown for an amazing gentleman. Norm's wife Tina would like to get a hold of "Dave" if at all possible. If anyone can get this info to us either by PM or through my email (which should be attached to the email when I signed up here?), much would be appreciated. Again, thank you again.

12. BismrkBear

BismrkBear Well-Known Member

Much respect and admiration for Norm. I don't post all that often, so the two "likes" I got from Norm are almost a badge of honor.

On this Father's Day, it is heartwarming to see Norm's Daughter's response in this post. On Father's Day, I think of a saying, which I often get wrong. "Please let me be the man my dog thinks I am." My dad was that kind of man, and I bet Norm was too.

13. Jillian Layton

Jillian Layton New Member

Was he wanting to write something to be read at the service?

Mr.Source and danbek like this.
  14. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Thank you very much for coming here and writing. I'm sending a PM.

15. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level 2 Supporter

When I first read the topic I thought that Wrangler name was going to be on the next soft road Jeep and someone was saying Norm was going to need to be revived. It didn't occur to me that this happened. I never met Norm personally, but I wish I had. He seemed like the kind of guy who would take a weekend to get you in a Jeep even if he didn't know you. He encouraged me to buy a Jeep. And although I didn't, our conversations really made me consider one as my next vehicle. I am sorry for his families loss. Norm seemed like a stand up guy. Allpar, and the world, will seem a little emptier without him.

16. John Wood

John Wood Allpar Legacy

Very sorry to hear this. Thoughts and prayers are with the family. RIP Norm.

Mr.Source likes this.
  17. TommyDodge

TommyDodge Well-Known Member

Jillian, I just wanted to try to let you know how much your dad meant to me. I will always treasure his friendship that started through the sweptline forum he had and continued when we both were on the Chrysler customer advisory board. When he found out of my interest in the history of the Dodge Brothers, both the men and the car he shared some pictures of the factory they built in Hamtramck MI. I will also not ever forget the help and support he gave when I went through the breakup and ending of my marriage 10 years ago, and the honor of my truck as being truck of the week on his forum. He was the best friend I had, and I will miss him, and his friendship for all the rest of my days. I wish to give you and your family my deepest sympathy, and wanted to ask if there was any place that you would like memorials sent to Thanks TommyDodge.

18. Bionicrooster

Bionicrooster Well-Known Member

Funny thing is I was at the beach this weekend in NJ celebrating fathers day and several times I got a way from someone in a modified JK and I thought of Norm and his family. Jillian I hope the good memories and thoughts outweighed the grief this past weekend for you and your family.

19. bumonbox

bumonbox Say no to kool-aid
    Supporter

65 - it's too young. I wish Jillian and all of the family the best.
    To further my anecdote. Norm and I would randomly volley PMs. (I confess I occasionally would vent about people on this forum). We had a nice chat after I lost my mum last year. She was 58, and still so full of life Norm struck me that way. I knew he wasn't a youngin in age, but he was often young at heart while simultaneously being experienced and wise. Just seems unfair when people who have still have so much to offer are ripped from us.

I always wished I could have met him. Seemed like he would have been like the uncle I never had.

Mr.Source, Prabhjot, Zagnut27 and 7 others like this.
  20. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

Norm did have a great deal of activity via PM here. He discussed much and shared much as well.

He was a hidden stitch that held this community together in ways that will never be fully understood or known.