Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mopar Promo Model Website

Discussion in 'Models - Games - Toys' started by 71Newport, Sep 16, 2017.

1. 71Newport

71Newport Member

I've been collecting Mopar promo models for several years and have finally put my modest collection on my website. Looking to connect with other Mopar promo collectors. I'd like to build this site into a valuable resource for the Mopar promo collector.

Specifically looking for:
    • images of oddball cars or boxes
    • restoration tips and parts sources
    • inside knowledge of how MPC or Johan manufactured the models, or images of the factory
    • images of original order forms
    • any other interesting information
    Would love to hear from other collectors. Check it out:

moparlit - NEW: Mopar Promo Information (at http://www.moparlit.com/new_mopar_promo_model_information_and_resources )

gminnebo, DC-93 and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  2. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

Have played with, saved and collected promos since i was a kid. The earliest model i have from childhood is a JoHan 62 300 hardtop. Also have some re-issues JoHan came out with in the 90s of lare 50s Mopars. I also always got a Chevy promo from my uncle @ Christmas. Those range from 64 to 69. Uncle worked for Chevrolet. Dad worked at Chrysler and at some management banquets say late 60s each place setting had a promo sitting right on the plate. Not everybody took their's and mom had a big purse! Got a pair of 69 Chargers and a 69 Coronet from one event. In the early 70s an order form for a promo came inside the owners manual of every new car dad got. He got two co. cars a year back then. $5 each got me a 70 Challenger and a 71 R.R. and a few others. I'll see if i can did out a couple pics of the collection.
    Have you noticed there have been no new Mopar promos since the FCA merger? I have all Challengers up to then.

3. rapidtrans

IMG_0518.JPG IMG_0071.JPG
    The purple 69 GTX is a repaint. Guy i bought it from years ago was a painter at a local Dodge Dealer and did an awsome job. Original color was is an odd mustard/gold color.
    IMG_0072.JPG

At some point dad had all of the above cars. I own a 1:1 65 Monaco today. IMG_0073.JPG

4. 71Newport

71Newport Member

Thanks for sharing. What color is the '70 GTX next to the yellow Challenger?

5. rapidtrans

You caught that.
    I meant 70 GTX not 69. Noticed the typo just as i hit send!

6. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Back in Highland Park Engineering Center during the 60's and 70's they use to sell the promos for $1...........

DC-93 likes this.
  7. rapidtrans

Yep! The real promos. The friction models were available at S.S.Kresge toy dept.

8. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Here's a pic of my signed, in 1971, Bobby Allison promo. Even have the brown shipping box.
    The Charger has one seat and a roll cage in it. A few hundred were hand made for Coca Cola to distribute in 1971.
    I bought this one from an exec named "Duke" that was the VP stationed in Daytona back in the 60s-70s.
    bobby allison 1971 dodge charger promo car model RARE.jpg

71Newport, Fast Eddie and rapidtrans like this.
  9. 71Newport

71Newport Member

Thanks for sharing that picture. I've never seen one so clean and with all the other items. Just curious- can you tell what color the car was originally? I was always under the impression that they were plum crazy, but someone recently told me they had one which was originally Green Go.

10. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

This one is red with gold paint. ANY color was used. Beware any blue promos in 71, 72, they crack!!

Best one I have ever see and I've seen three!!!!!

11. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

p.s. Small sponsor decals were lifted from the Isaac Daytona kit. The numbers and Coke stuff was a new decal sheet.
    Also, there are a few repaints floating around.(plenty got scuffed over the years)
    You'd have to be familiar with an original paint job to know what a repaint look like...

12. 71Newport

71Newport Member

Yes! They were shockingly cheap. Anyone could buy Mopar promos for a dollar each at least through 1972. A dollar in 1970 would be the equivalent of $6.50 in 2017 dollars. On the website I have Dodge retail order forms 1966-1972. Most of these appeared in Dodge News Magazine. Also have a dealer form. Check it out:

moparlit - Original Promo Order Forms (at http://www.moparlit.com/new_mopar_promo_model_information_and_resources/original_promo_order_forms )

Looking for Plymouth order forms and any Dodge forms that I don't have on the site. I've seen a dealer order form for '70 Cuda promos but don't have an image of it. I haven't seen any Plymouth retail order forms.

13. rapidtrans

The graphics on the boxes were pretty cool. Does anyone reproduce those? Or interested in doing so?

14. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

1972 - a picture of my son with his first promo...............don't remember if it is a GTX or a Road Runner.
    IMG_20170926_0001.jpg

15. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

They were sold by the students from the Chrysler Institute in Highland Park.