AF: MoparDanno's new 67 Barracuda FB... | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MoparDanno's new 67 Barracuda FB...

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by MoparDanno, Jun 8, 2016.

1. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

First off, the story.

Lately, I have been undergoing a crisis of sorts, wanting to get back into the "older" Mopar game as it were, but finding the correct car is always such a struggle. Having been involved in the AN Dakota world since the late 90's I was Jonesing to get back into something a bit more from when I was first starting out in cars.

About a week ago, one of my old Mopar buddies posted this cars Ebay link. I was pretty excited about it. Ive always had a passion for the 67/68 fastback Barracuda's, and I knew this car pretty well, and knew some of its history.

I have since learned more, and learned that this car is in some way tied to my past, present, and dare I say future. Let me explain.

Back in the mid 70's, Don Rae came home from Vietnam, and saw this car sitting alongside the road. A 67 Formula S 4 speed 273 car. He had to have it. After making arrangements, he got it, and proceeded to drive it for a few years. Then, the car go rear ended, and it had to sit for over a decade for various reasons. Don Rae finally was able to start the restoration on this car in the mid 90's. Thats where I first come into this cars story. At the time, I was in the midst of my own collection of 67/68 Barracuda fastbacks. I think at one point I counted something like 13 that I owned or parted out. If I only knew then what I know now eh? LOL. Anyway, I had a spare 67 Formula S car that was minus the drivetrain. I think I had traded my 340 out of my Duster for the car. Mike Jenkins, and Bob Kropp, who owned and ran ACME ( All Chrysler Muscle Equipment ) at the time, knew I had a "stash" of Barracuda stuff, and we ended up working out a deal for my spare 67 body for a "car that was being restored" They cut the quarters off my car, and as far as I can tell, they were sold to Don Rae for this car.

Fast forward a few years, and Don Rae is all done with the resto, and he is one of the many Mopar customers I had at Action Auto Parts. I sold him quite a few bits that went on the car ( Wish I remembered which ones specifically now! ). Not long after the car was finished, Mopar Muscle did an article on the car: http://www.hotrod.com/…/mopp-0303-1967-plymouth-barracuda-…/

By 02, I had moved out of the area to Bremerton, where Ginn and I would spend the next 10 years. In 07, Don Rae passed. He willed the car to Ed Smith, who became the caretaker of Don's vision. Ed, who probably didnt put 100 miles on the car in the 9 years he owned it, kept it stored snug and warm, and maintained what needed to be done.

Which brings us up to the aforementioned 1 week ago, my buddy John, posted the Ebay ad for the car. As stated, I got pretty excited about it, and started seeing what I could do to make it happen. I finally was able to get in contact with Ed, who remembered me from the old days. John, Ed and Don Rae, had all been ( and still are ) close friends of one another. Unbeknownst to me at the time, once Ed heard that I was interested in the car, he knew he had found the right guy for the car, and once we talked, was willing to leave money on the table that the auction would have undoubtedly brought, to make sure that the car ended up in my hands.

I took these pictures today when I dropped off the payment for the car. I will be picking it up and driving it home on Saturday, and I cant wait to start tearing into this and making "Danno" type changes to it.

The draw for me of this car is that it combines so many of my past cars into one single car. 67/8 Fastback Cuda? Check. 72 340 4 speed Duster, check. 70 383 Pistol Grip Road Runner, Check. Magnum powered like my Dakotas, Check. Plus the Viper GTS blue paint and white stripes mimicks one of my absolute favorite cars, the 96/97 Viper GTS.

Time to start adding to the beast with the "stash" of stuff that I have that just happens to fit that engine :)

Thanks for reading.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Doug D, GasAxe, wtxiceman and 3 others like this.
  2. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Interesting, a MSD with an orange box... A combination that normally does not work all that great as they normally do not like each other.

The ginormous tach isn't my thing.

But gawd, it is a nice car Danno... You done good!

Mike

MoparDanno likes this.
  3. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

The MSD and the Orange box we have done a ton of up in this neck of the woods. Never had many issue with it. Other than the standard orange box issues that everyone has.. lol. I will probably end up going to a MSD Distributor and getting away from the MP stuff all together for ultimate reliability.

I can take or leave the tach personally. The mount they used is one that doesn't leave any trace of its being there, so I can remove it and no harm.

Thank you good sir! Now you know why I was motivated to make this one happen.

Want to know what the scary thing is? All 3 of my R/T's are actually quicker than this car. LOL. I will be fixing that for sure.

Mike V. likes this.
  4. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Super nice ride. Congrats.

MoparDanno likes this.
  5. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that likes keeping the stock steering wheels?

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  6. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

I don't mind the stocker, but I also prefer something with a little more meat to grab in the wheel area personally. So I am on the fence about that swap. Also, when putting the trans in 1st gear, the shifter gets pretty close to the wheel. I can see some bruised right knuckles happening possibly. lol

7. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

I cut out the middle of the center pod and mounted a small tach in the factory position. You just need to leave enough of a flange to mount the tach face to.

MoparDanno likes this.
  8. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Congrats! I love that body style Barracuda.

MoparDanno likes this.
  9. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

It looks like a trophy winner. Good to read that one of your friends saw fit to repair and restore it.

When the A bodies were redesigned for '67, the Valiant body was completely changed, but the Barracuda looked more evolved from the previous year. Here's to evolution.

MoparDanno likes this.
  10. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Yes, I like it a lot, too, especially that 5-speed and pistol grip. I was never a fan of the giant rear window fastback, this is a nice transition to that and I like it. My favorites of the A-body Barracudas is the notchback ones, look like they are going fast before they even fire the engine, but this is definitely high on the list of likes. Congrats!

MoparDanno likes this.
  11. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

What a beauty!

Congratulations - Clean as a whistle.

If you could find the build date, 2017 would be the 50th anniversary of the MY. Perfect timing for the acquisition < Thumbs-Up >

MoparDanno likes this.
  12. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

Its got the fender tag on it. I haven't decoded it yet. All I know is that it is an original 275hp 4 speed Formula S. Weekend project I think :)

13. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

Well, its in my possession now.

The person I was buying the car from was gone for the weekend, so we had arranged a place to have the keys stashed, so I can snag em and go. He had called me the night before and told me that when he moved it, it was farting and spitting out through the carb "Really often and regular". So Im thinking "Great, intake rocker too tight, or something worse". Keep in mind, I hadn't been able to drive this, I just was able to fire it and let it warm up and hear it run. So, I did come equipped with everything I thought I might need to get this thing 25 miles home, except for my trailer ( would have been a 3 hour round trip to go get it .. .meh ).

Get there, "modify" the Edelbrock 750 so that the choke wont be in my way ( wasn't wired, so was shut all the time ) fired it and it ran and didn't fart n spit. Yay. Do a quick clutch and brake check in the driveway, put er in reverse, and down the road I went. Good thing this is a stick. LOL. Every shift, every stoplight, id have to blip the throttle to get it to come back down to 1800 or so. It was wanting to hang at 3-4k. That was exciting. Got it home, put it away for the night.

Sunday, got up and grabbed the 4 corner idle 750 double pumper that came with the car, tossed it on. LOL, nope, fuel running out of one of the metering jets even with the car off. Ok, time to dig for my "Holley" stash. I have this box, about 2'x18"x8" that's all Holley small parts, gaskets, jets, pumps, pump cams, squirters etc. I had more than enough small parts to rebuild the Holley, so off it came. Some scraping, a new primary powervalve, and a couple of cans of Mopar Brakleen later, I had a "fresh" 750dp for the car. Set the pump cams up nice and tight so it'll be real snappy ( you'd be surprised at how many people miss that step ) put it on. Cranked it a few times, pumped the throttle 5 times, hit the key, and Away it went. Was able to idle it down to 650 once it got some heat into it. So I tossed the timing light on it, set the initial at 15, readjusted the idle. I'd nailed the AF metering screws ( I tune for highest vacuum at idle ) when I set it up ( 1 turn out on all 4 ) Jetting seemed to be pretty spot on. Crisp, not eye burny ( lean ) nor fuel/black puffy ( rich ). Took it out for a spin, let er eat to the MSD rev limiter ( 6K? that's fixed now! ) and damn, this thing pulls pretty damn good. Shifts nice, cruises good.

Came back home from the initial "test" drive, and am really happy with the way it runs. I was getting worried about the state of things, but now it seems pretty damn solid. Did a bunch of TLC stuff to the car after that, including messing with the interior sheet metal. If you haven't had the opportunity to mess with the interior metal in the back of a 67-69 Barracuda fastback, consider yourself lucky. Its like a big metal jigsaw puzzle, and it had been 20 years since Id played with one. LOL. I relearned really quickly.

Anyway, some changes are going to be in order. I think a Flaming river manual steering gear is in order, and probably a full Hotchkis suspension for it. Other than that, great and fun car! Going to be a fun cruiser for sure. My wife even likes riding in it.

Stratuscaster likes this.
  14. dana44

Ad-Free Member

I always love it when someone thinks they know what they are doing and don't. My first thought at the beginning of your post was timing, although sticking chokes and fuel coming out holes in the top of the carb are never a good thing. I would say you have a better car than you expected, which is nice. Congrats.

MoparDanno likes this.
  15. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

Yeah, I knew I was going to have to give it a full tune up before it would be drivable. And by tune up I mean set everything from fuel and air to ignition. There were other small issues like having the vac advance plumbed to the ported spot on the carb instead of the manifold vacuum spot etc. So just lots of "tweaking" as I like to call it.

I have an 830 annular discharge DP around that I need to dig up and go though, that would make this thing even snappier off idle, which I think the manual trans will like. I also bumped the MSD limiter to 7k. I will probably shift it at 64-6500. But it was still pulling strong at 6k where the old limiter was, so there is more on the table that has never been found with this combo....

16. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

I got a brand new Borgeson power steering box for mine hiding under the tool box. :)

No new pics???

Mike

MoparDanno likes this.
  17. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

Nice! This is a manual steer manual brake car, so I don't want to add PS to it. Although I would like a LOT more turn in feel. That's why the FR box is something that I am strongly considering.

No new pix yet. Been raining the past couple of days. I want to get an idle vid too. Its pretty thumpy for just a .509 hyd roller. Cant wait to throw a real cam at it :D

18. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Awesome car and story to go with it. But I HAVE to ask, what did the 5-speed trans come out of? I don't see that you mentioned it unless I just missed it.

MoparDanno likes this.
  19. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I am so jealous. :p Congrats!

MoparDanno likes this.
  20. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

Its an aftermarket Tremec TKO 500 as far as I have been able to determine. Not exactly sure if they were ever a production item, or strictly aftermarket similar to the Richmond trannies. Tremec has done plenty of OE style trans, the T5, T56 etc, but I believe the TKO series is performance only.

And thanks! :)