Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mopars in IRL, Sprint cars, and WOO

Discussion in 'Historical' started by Beentherebefore, Nov 19, 2013.

1. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Given the health of IRL (declining TV ratings and empty seats at events) it might not be the best place to allocate resources at this time.
    I would however love to see a few Challengers chasing the Camaro around in the Tudor Series.

2. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

The Indy 2014 homologation update cycle will be for 2.2-liter, direct-injected V6 engines supplied by Chevrolet and Honda.

I would expect Alfa branding of engines if Indy was in the picture for Chrysler

Mike

3. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Yeah, 2.2L is a little small. I don't think the "Pentastar" V-6 family can be downsized that much and still keep it's stock heritage.

Pursue "Brand C" in a stock bodied racing series????!!!! As far as I'm concerned, Bring It On...........the sooner the better :thumbsup: .

4. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

I would love to see a factory backed Challenger running in the Continental Tire Series

Mike

5. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

You can read the whole article from the "Pittsburgh Post Gazette", May 17, 2000 @ the link below but here are some interesting quotes regarding Dave Blaney (former WOO champion) revamping his WOO team for his brother and switching to Mopar power because it was the "best" at that time.

"When he decided to continue with the team, Dave needed to make some other changes, too....... He switched engines, from Chevrolet to Mopar, the engine Mark Kinser uses. He traded a J&J chassis for a Maxim.
    ""I decided I was going to get the best equipment out there, no matter what we had to do to get it," Dave said. "And I think we did that." "

And from brother (and driver) Dale Blaney;

"I've got the car I want, the motor I want and the crew I want," Dale said. "I didn't have that before."

http://old.post-gazette.com/sports_headlines/20000517outlaws6.asp

6. TAP42

TAP42 Member

Just happened to be poking around racing junk and found this. Looks like someone is selling one of those motors. Pretty wild looking piece
    http://www.racingjunk.com/Engines-Components/182140579/1969-Chrysler-Indy-Car-engine.html

7. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

A brief comparison of the for-sale engine with the Plymouth version in the museum shows slightly more of an oval shape to the exhaust ports. That plus the "Dodge" label on the valve covers might indicate a separate IRL engine development program for the Dodge division. It'd sure be interesting to hear from somebody who worked on the IRL program (or maybe I should say either IRL program?). Except for reading a little about the company's IRL effort and the Dover victory back in the late 60s, this was a little outside of my areas of focus (or recollections).

8. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

They appear to be Westlake heads, could be that development continued into 70-71 but then the program was killed and this is the fruit of that labor.

There is little history on this program. I would love to know the history of that engine.

Westlake was a vendor, if others wanted the heads they could have got them. Cool stuff.

Mike

9. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Likewise, Mike. I keep looking at the historical articles posted by the long-retired Chrysler engineers on the site's main page, but so far, nobody has even mentioned this program.

10. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Yeah, it's one of those "so the story goes" situations. The claim by the museum is that the 1969 Petty Plymouth cash was used to find the program while Petty was at Ford. Then in 1970 he came back, the funding wasn't there, and the engine didn't make enough power specifically for Indy.

Also I noticed the ports are the same, look at the different pictures on the museum site. Also all the logos, Plymouth or Dodge, appear to be painted or stickers... Not machined into the valve covers.

The engine is seriously cool. I would love to have it to put in an A body project car like a '69 Barracuda notch back or a '70 Duster.

Mike

11. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

The ports looked a little different to me, but it's hard to tell from just the photos. If we ever hear from someone who worked on the program, it would be interesting to know how many of these motors were built in total.

Instead of survivors just being exhibited in a Nebraska museum, Mopar should have been installing a sample or two in their project cars at the SEMA shows etc.over the years. Even that one Indycar win would have been great publicity for the LA blocks.

12. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

If they didn't have any to install???

Seems to me the three known engines are in private hands.

Mike

13. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Only 3 ever built and somebody is selling it for (only) $45,000. HMMMmmmmm.

Sellers address is in Troy, Michigan so maybe some connection to Chrysler somewhere in the past????

Just wonderin'......

14. dyslexic teddybear

dyslexic teddybear Active Member

I like the way you think.

15. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

I never said "only three were built"

I said the only three known engines that exist are in private hands.

There could be 64 of them in a barn somewhere, but we at Allpar only know of three total.

Mike

16. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Another reason we need to hear from somebody that actually worked on the program. Meanwhile, we all need to keep searching for that barn ;) .

17. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Agreed! :)

Mike

18. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Somebody linked me to this old ad posted in "Horsehead Classifieds" a while back but it seems to have been taken down since.

410 Gary Stanton Mopars. (2 identical engines available) Tony Stewart Racing's last two Mopars before going to Chevrolet. All the best pieces. Zero races since major overhaul. No damage history ever on motors. W-9 CNC heads, Barnes, Carrillo, Kinsler, MSD, etc. Each motor comes with shipping container, stacks, spare rocker pair, bypasses, Waterman 500 pump and Maxim motor plate. Ready to install and race with no races since complete rebuild. Additional Mopar MSD mag, headers and IRL valve available for additional cost. 16,500.00 each.

Makes you wonder what might have been if this relationship had been handled right by Chrysler racing brass.

19. dyslexic teddybear

dyslexic teddybear Active Member

Interesting.

I have picked up references to Stewarts connection to Mopars......not a fan of Tony's, so never paid much attention.

Any more info you can post would be appreciated.

Thanks BTB.

20. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

How much reading do you want to do? :lol:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

TEAM MOPAR CONTACT:
    Misha Geisert
    J.R. Thompson Company
    317-432-4110
    MoparPR@aol.com

TEAM MOPAR TO APPEAR ON RACIN' WITH D.O. RADIO SHOW

Center Line, Mich. - Team Mopar's Cory Kruseman, Jay Drake, Dave Steele and
    Josh Wise will appear on the "Racin' with D.O. Gotta Race" radio show on
    Monday, May 24. Race fans can sit in during the show, which features a live
    broadcast on 101.9 FM at 7 p.m. CST, from Kelly's Pub Too at the corner of 10th Street
    and Lynhurst in Indianapolis, Ind.

Fans are invited to stop by early to see the Tony Stewart Racing Enterprises
    display, including show cars and the team transporter. Those in attendance
    will be eligible for giveaways to include Team Mopar gear and other items. The
    event will also feature representatives of the Championship Auto Racing Series
    (CARS.)

Hosted by D.O. Laycock, the "Racing with D.O Gotta Race" radio show is the
    longest running motorsports radio show in the Indianapolis area. Laycock created
    the show 10 years ago to help promote the sport of auto racing and area
    racing events. The show gives fans the opportunity to see their favorite drivers in
    a relaxed, fun-oriented atmosphere.

Laycock himself has been notably influential in the motorsports arena, having
    earned two ACE Awards and an Emmy for his work with the ESPN network. Growing
    up a part of the sport, Laycock's father, Bob, worked in the press room at
    the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and instilled in his family a love for the
    sport. Laycock and his brother, Dave, also built IndyCars in the late 1960s. The
    Laycock Mongooses, as the cars were known, were driven by Lloyd Ruby.

For more information regarding Team Mopar, log on to www.moparspeed.com.

Mopar is based in Center Line, Mich., and is the exclusive original equipment
    supplier of parts and accessories for Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep® vehicles.

Posted 13 November 2005 - 07:59 PM
    Paul McMahan to Drive for Tony Stewart Motorsports in National SprintCar League

Crew Chief Jimmy Carr to Lead Championship Effort with Continued Support from Bass Pro Shops and Mopar

INDIANAPOLIS (Nov. 13, 2005) - Tony Stewart Motorsports has named Paul McMahan as its driver for the #20 Bass Pro Shops entry in the National SprintCar League (NSL). The 34-year-old from Elk Grove, Calif., who now calls Nashville, Tenn., home, will join crew chief Jimmy Carr and crew members Todd Splain and Michael Kuemper as the #20 NSL team moves to Indianapolis where the United States Auto Club (USAC) teams of Tony Stewart Racing Enterprises are also based.

"I'm very excited to join Tony Stewart Motorsports and work with Jimmy Carr, Todd and Mikey," said McMahan, who has 11 wins, 100 top-fives, 226 top-10s and numerous fast times in five years on the World of Outlaws circuit. "It's an honor to be representing Bass Pro Shops and Mopar.

"We're very pleased to have Paul McMahan as our driver," said Tony Stewart, who in five years as an owner in the World of Outlaws won a championship in 2001 and finished runner-up three times (2002, 2003 and 2004). "He's a proven winner and that's what our race team is about - winning. Crew chief Jimmy Carr and the rest of the guys think a lot of Paul, and we're confident that our inaugural season in the National SprintCar League will be a successful one."

The #20 team will continue to campaign an Eagle chassis powered by Paul Kistler-built Mopar engines with Hoosier tires on Weld wheels putting that power to the ground. Associate sponsors J.D. Byrider, Coca-Cola and Old Spice will also maintain their involvement with the team.

Updated Jun 16, 2005 2:10 PM ET

CENTER LINE, Mich.
    The Tony Stewart Racing Enterprises duo of Josh Wise and Jay Drake has taken the three USAC divisions by storm-to say the least. As the team enters this weekend's "Buckeye Nationals" event, Wise sits atop the USAC National Silver Crown and Midget Car Series points chase, while Drake holds the USAC National Sprint Car Series points lead. Drake, the 2004 USAC National Sprint Car Series champion, has won two series events thus far this season. The No. 21 team's first win came at Eldora Speedway on April 30 in the "Border Wars XI" opener. He followed that up with a victory at I-69 Gas City Speedway on June 3. With those wins, Drake also wrapped up his second straight USAC "Border Wars" title. The veteran driver is also currently ranked eighth in USAC Silver Crown Series points, driving the No. 22 machine for Tony Stewart Racing Enterprises. In his second season with Team Mopar, Wise is riding high atop the USAC Silver Crown Series and USAC Midget Car Series point standings. Wise won the May 7 USAC Midget Car Series event at The Raceway @ Powercom Park to boost the No. 20 team to the front. He then had a breakthrough victory in the USAC National Silver Crown Series event at the Terre Haute Action Track on June 4 to give the No. 10 team the series lead. Wise is also currently ranked sixth in USAC National Sprint Car Series points, driving the No. 20 machine for Tony Stewart Racing Enterprises. Both Drake and Wise will hit the dirt for Tony Stewart Racing Enterprises this weekend in the USAC "Buckeye Nationals" event. Featuring the USAC National Sprint and Midget Car Series, the two-day event is scheduled to take place at Limaland Motorsports Park on June 17 and at Eldora Speedway on June 18. For more information regarding Mopar, Wise or Drake, log on to www.moparspeed.com, www.joshwiseracing.com or www.jaydrake.com. Mopar is based in Center Line, Mich., and is the exclusive original equipment supplier of parts and accessories for Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep vehicles.

WOO
    Sure it may be only four races into the 2003 World of Outlaws season, but if the first four races are any indication, then the other competitors may be in trouble, because Danny "The Dude" Lasoski and his #20 J.D. Byrider / Home Depot / Tony Stewart Racing Enterprises are on a roll. Lasoski is using his new Mopar engines to help power him to the early point lead after finishing in the top 10 four-straight times, as well as a feature win (the 51st of his career) and two fast qualifier awards.

"We are really excited about Mopar engines. They have been the key to our early season success", said Lasoski from his team's Dover, Missouri headquarters. "All of the guys at Mopar have treated us really well. We are all really happy with our team's performance thus far. Paul Kistler (engine builder) has put forth a great effort with these engines. He never built Mopar engines before. He is doing a lot, working with the main Mopar people. It has turned out really well. The transition has been smooth.â€

In addition to the success in the Outlaw Series, Lasoski competed in the season's first IROC race, finishing third at Daytona International Speedway during Speedweeks.

Lasoski is also taking team owner Tony Stewart's Winston Cup sponsor Home Depot along for the ride, as they have become a co-primary sponsor with J.D. Byrider.

Team Mopar Gears Up For Knoxville Aug 6 ,2006

Team Mopar is ready to roll into the legendary Knoxville Raceway for the 46th Annual Knoxville Nationals, as Paul McMahan, Joey Saldana, Tyler Walker and Kevin Swindell all have their sights set on winning their first event title — MoPowered style. The group has combined for several victories already this season, and as the green flag drops on the preliminary program on Thursday, August 10, all four drivers will be focused on making the drive to the bright lights and spoils that only the winner’s circle at Knoxville can offer.

McMahan and the No. 20 Tony Stewart Motorsports team will have all eyes on them as they take to the track for the Knoxville Nationals. The team has worked hard this season to mesh, and a recent upswing of strong finishes will boost their confidence heading to Iowa. The team is led by veteran crew chief Jimmy Carr, who has several Knoxville Nationals victories under his belt and is sure to have the No. 20 machine in top shape for the event. McMahan has driven his Paul Kistler-built, Mopar-powered machine into victory lane twice this season, and he is currently ranked seventh in the National Sprint Tour Series points chase.

Saldana and the No. 9 Kasey Kahne Racing team will roll into Knoxville Raceway with one victory at the facility already under their belts for the 2006 season. Having won seven World of Outlaws Sprint Series A-main features already this year, Saldana and crew chief Willie Kahne will have their Speedway Engine Development-built, Mopar-powered machine ready to head to the front of the field. Saldana, who is currently ranked second in the World of Outlaws Sprint Series championship, will drive a sprint car sporting a special paint scheme featuring Curb Recording artists Bomshel for the event.

Walker and the No. 5 Forbrook Motorsports team also head into the event riding a wave of momentum, as the team has posted a recent string of strong finishes. The Gaerte Engines-built, Mopar-powered No. 5 machine is tuned by veteran car owner and crew chief, Guy Forbrook. Swindell and the No. 1 Swindell Motorsports team will look to follow up their World of Outlaws Sprint Series victory at the Dirt Track @ Lowe’s Motor Speedway last May, with a victory in the Knoxville Nationals. The No. 1 machine boasts Gary Stanton-built Mopar power. Swindell became the youngest World of Outlaws Sprint Series winner in history with his victory in Charlotte, and he will look to add to his résumé with a win at Knoxville.

McMahan, Saldana, Walker and Swindell will all compete in the second night of Knoxville Nationals preliminary action on Thursday, August 10. All four drivers will be looking to earn their first Knoxville Nationals event title. Mopar powered machines have won the event three times this decade, earning the champion’s title in 2000, 2003 and 2004.