Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mopars in IRL, Sprint cars, and WOO

Discussion in 'Historical' started by Beentherebefore, Nov 19, 2013.

1. dyslexic teddybear

dyslexic teddybear Active Member

Thanks for posting that. Interesting.

[sigh] So many missed opportunities to........just continue a winning formula.....

2. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Pete Hutchinson from Chrysler was Program Manager. John Wehrly from Chrysler was responsible for the P69 head for the engine. Keith Black did the dyno work. I think we had one on the Chrysler dyno once but I won't swear to it.

3. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Which engine? The ones that Stewart's team used? I never knew that Keith Black had anything to do with sprint car motors - thought that it was all Gary Stanton's doing since he had already been involved with the motors on Mark Kinser's cars. Stewart used some Kistler built motors also. Very interesting. Are Hutchinson or Wehrly still around to provide some input? - either here or maybe they already have put some stuff out on the net somewhere that we can review (?).

Once Kasey Kahne became involved with Mopar, he still used their motors for his Outlaws teams, so the parts and pieces they developed stayed competitive for years down the road. Joey Saldana won 22 WOO races one recent year (2010?) driving Kahne's Mopar powered cars. Of course. once we lost Kahne to "Brand C", there are no more competitive Mopar powered sprint cars running on the WOO circuit. That shows how racing relationships are inter-twined and folding up support for one major program (like Nascar) often has reverberations in your participation and representation in other major US racing series.

4. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

This was on the original Indy car engine program back in 1969-1970.

5. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

10-4 Ed,

Thanks for the clarification.

Mike V posted a link to some really cool pictures of that motor back in post #11 of this thread. There's a sample sitting in a museum in Nebraska. The museum's blog says the heads were designed by Weslake.

You'd think that Chrysler would have taken enough pride in this engineering achievement to keep a sample in the Walter Chrysler museum or some other company repository.

6. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

A friend of mine and Chrysler retiree, Greg Charney, built a 1968 Dart with a 410" sprint car engine. Awesome car and it goes like crazy. See the car at Popular Hot Rodding magazine web site dated November 2013. By the way Greg was Super Stock Eliminator at the 1971 Nationals at Indy with his A990 car.

7. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I'm guessing that he can't run in Stock Elim with a sprint car motored Dart :lol: . What's he using for induction system??

I (vaguely) remember that SS victory at the 1971 US Nationals @ Indy. IIRC, he beat Terry Earwood who raced a Hemi-Cuda convertible for awhile.

Do you have any photos of the race that you can post on the NHRA historical thread? I found a few famous A990 cars to post there but not Charney's.

8. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I just stumbled across this, Mike, which ties in with the "Racing Junk.com" link that was mentioned earlier by "TAP42" in post #26, above. If you scroll down to the comments at the end of the article you'll see some posts by a Bob Sykes claiming that a total of 10 of these engines were built at the Keith Black shop under the supervision of Pete Hutchinson who is mentioned by "Fast Eddie" as the project head in his above post #42. Comments by some other responders mention one of the motors ending up in a boat racer and one possibly in one of the Rod Shop drag racing team cars. No way to absolutely verify the validity of the comments, but interesting nevertheless.

http://bangshift.com/general-news/r...real-late-1960s-weslake-plymouth-indy-engine/

Bob Sykes also mentions that there was a multi-page spread on this engine project in the July '69 issue of "Motor Trend" which is probably how it got stuck way back in the recesses of my mind in the first place (been subscribing to MT on & off for almost 50 years!). Unfortunately, MT does not have it's archives available on the internet as some of the other automotive publications do - at least not that I could find.

#48 Beentherebefore, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  9. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Picture76.jpg Picture77.jpg Here area a couple shots of the Formula 5000 cars we ran. 5 liter .......305"..............sponsored by UOP (Universal Oil Products)................known as "The UOP Shadow".

Beentherebefore and MoparNorm like this.
  10. dartndodge

dartndodge Well-Known Member

Beentherebefore. Martyn L. Schorr's, MOPAR Dodge and Plymouth The Performance Years (Quicksilver Communications c1984), on page 74-75, has a write up on the Rod Shop D/A 1971 Colt station wagon running the 319" Weslake headed, KB built 340 engine, putting out 560hp @10,000 prm. The made in England heads are pt# WRP-135-4002, uses a Crane 282/393-A cam, Hilborn, Vertex, Dougs headers, A833 etc. KB built the engine to run max RPM all day for 500 miles.
    Ray Noltemeyer was the driver, Rick Stickel the designer and Bob Riffle the owner.

Beentherebefore likes this.
  11. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Thanks for that info, D&D. I guess that the comments on the "Bangshift" site that I linked were correct. Very interesting application for the KB built 340. I think that the car was referred to as the "Stickel-Noltmeyer Colt" when it was racing in NHRA and looked like this.............

[​IMG]

The Rod Shop ran some interesting Mopar combos in NHRA and had an admirable win record. IIRC, Mike Fons won the NHRA Pro Stock championship one year in a Rod Shop Dodge Challenger - 1971 (?). I saw many of their cars run @ Pomona over the years, but never that Colt. I'll eventually get around to posting some stuff on their cars on the NHRA historical thread.

#51 Beentherebefore, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  12. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Looks like an interesting piece from what I can see. Having Jackie Oliver as a driver isn't chicken-feed either ;)Unfortunately, I know very little about F5000 series. I think that it was a short-lived series, right? - maybe the US equivalent of European F-1? Norm gets into it a little on the Trans-Am thread. They ran it at the old Ontario Motor Speedway where I attended many Nascar and NHRA events, but between them, NHRA points meets, and following the old Winston West circuit (Mopars prevalent in all of them back then), my annual vacation time was used up and Formula 5000 didn't fit my schedule.

13. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Rumor has it that the Plymouth/Westlake Engine that was recent for sale on RacingJunk Dot Com was purchased by a friend of a friend of mine.

As soon as my friend gets back from Bonneville I will be trying to arrange a meeting to see the engine. It is my understanding that the engine is supposed to go in a 69 Barracuda.

Will let y'all know.

Mike

MoparNorm likes this.
  14. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

#54 Mike V., Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    Beentherebefore likes this.
  15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

16. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Thank you Dave!

Mike

17. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Looks like we might have found that barn! ;)

18. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Just a quick note, the friend of the friend has one of the few remaining LMP engines, not the Westlake setup but still unique and rare.

It is good to know that there may be more of these super cool Westlake head setups out there. Now I just need to find a pair!

Mike

19. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Makes me wonder if the Gurney shop might have a couple laying around....

20. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Email sir.

Mike