AF: Mopars in snow and ice. | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mopars in snow and ice.

Discussion in 'Rumors and General Chrysler Discussion' started by PCRMike, Feb 21, 2015.

1. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

Around here in mid TN, we have been in sheer ice and some heavily slicked roads and driveways. I have noted the skating rink of a road in front of my house has only had had a few vehicles able to travel on it. I was raised in Michigan, and can drive on marbles. I have taught my daughters to do the same. The rest of folks only drive 4x4 on the road. That said, my wife's Durango Citadel is the best handling beast we have ever driven on this slime. The first to do better than our Jeep Grand Wagoneer was. No doubt the GW would kill, KILL it off road, but nobody else around me is as sure footed. My boss' Yukon, neighbors Exploder, nuttin. How has your Mopar handled the weather? My daughter has an 06 Sebring sedan that does better than her sister's Civic.

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Our family has owned generations of small FWD Chrysler cars from Horizons to Shadows to Neons to PT's to Calibers. With a good set of tires, these cars do very nicely in snow.
    My wife has a '11 Liberty. 4WD is useful and she feels secure driving it, but it is thirstier than I like for a daily commuter car.

3. tazdevil

tazdevil Member

Relatively heavy car, four wheel drive, does not a fuel sipper make. Load equals more fuel.

4. moparfan06

moparfan06 Well-Known Member

The first couple of snows this winter I drove my truck in 4WD. Since then I haven't felt the need to have it 4WD. Adding 400 lbs of ballast to the bed really helps. My Caliber is sure footed up to about 5 inches of snow.

5. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Sure footed up to about 30"...:cool:
    [​IMG]

RonGD, PCRMike and Jeepnut like this.
  6. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Yep. My '06 1500 (2WD) does much better with good tires and 300-400 lbs in the bed. Will still slip and slide a little, but that's part of the fun! Our Journey is sure footed up to about 8" or so. At 10-12" it starts to snow plow......

[​IMG]

RonGD and PCRMike like this.
  7. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Did you ever have problems with a wrangler spinning in the snow? My 98 used to do 360's very easily in the snow if I wasnt very careful. I attributed it to lack of abs and the so-so tires I had, but I've never had that before or since in other vehicles. Weird. Could never get it stuck though!

8. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

IMG_20150216_171014:nopm:.jpg IMG_20150216_164644:nopm:.jpg
    Not exactly deep snow here in the Carolina's

PCRMike likes this.
  9. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Just don't try a 1976 Camaro or 1999 Audi TT AWD in snow. Take my word for it.

PCRMike likes this.
  10. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

11. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

No, not even in my very short CJ5
    Yesterday, in SoCal:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With Ray Currie and Don Alexander.

PCRMike likes this.
  12. WS23Mopar

WS23Mopar Active Member

My 07 Liberty is a pretty good snow performer. The wheelbase is long enough to provide some stability at speed, decent ground clearance and 4WD. I'm looking at either a Renegade or used WK2. I've thought about something like a JKU, but didnt know if they would be ideal in the snow. I mainly need something to get out of a steep driveway with 12" of snow, not a lot of off-road capability besides that.

13. Doug D

My first car was a '68 Camaro 327 V8 so I know what you mean. It definitely was not a good snow car. But it was a blast come summer! :D

Jeepnut likes this.
  14. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

My 98 Wrangler used to spin in the snow, and do 360's down the road and into intersections. I had to be very careful when applying the brakes. Most people I've talked to haven't had that problem. It was my first 4wd vehicle, so maybe I wasnt used to it. I've tried to do the same in my Liberty, and can't. Who knows. I must assume operator error at this point...lol. I do wish I had traction control and all the more modern technology in addition to what it already has, but I love my Liberty in the snow. I wish I could get a 3-row version of it...with a manual transmission...not going to happen, but I can dream.

PCRMike likes this.
  15. moparfan06

moparfan06 Well-Known Member

I guess I was too quick to brag. I had to resort to 4WD this morning. I took a "shortcut" only to find it drifted over fairly deep. :D Forgot to mention to me the weight helps counter balance the mighty Cummins up front. :p

wtxiceman and PCRMike like this.
  16. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

IMG_20150225_222938.jpg Live shot Greensboro NC

PCRMike likes this.
  17. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Yeah, I'm crazy but I'm not stupid enough to try my Mustang in the snow. It's surprisingly good in the rain though...

18. Jeepnut

Level III Supporter

19. Doug D

Jeepnut - you're just down the road from where my son is going to school (Winston-Salem State). Thanks for the "live" update - now I know for sure he'll be headed to GA this weekend. He's on the baseball team and they were originally scheduled to play at Finch Field in Asheboro and BB&T Park in Winston-Salem this weekend. Son informed us last night they may be headed to GA if it snowed. Looks like they are going to GA. We were planning on going to see the games in NC, but can't afford to go to GA. Oh well.

20. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Cool pictures! ------ Mid 80's W100. Even when there is only an inch of snow on the road, I lock the hubs and use 4WD,high. With an empty bed, the truck stops MUCH faster!

Jeepnut likes this.