AF: More information on Kokomo | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More information on Kokomo

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by ShawnP, Jan 14, 2020.

1. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

Interesting, I wonder what new engine they'll be building? The inline six?

2. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

According to one article, it's to be GME 4.

3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

GME T4 accordingot the article but I suspect they are also expanding ZF8 production.

4. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

P2 hybrid capability for the ZF8?

5. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Is Tipton at capacity?

6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Tipton doesn't do casting. AFAIK FCA still buys a bunch of transmissions from ZF so higher internal capacity would be good. I wonder what the differences in warranty claims are?

Tony K likes this.
  7. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

All for Alfa and Maserati and all for HEMI.

ScramFan likes this.
  8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Your point? If you have one?

Zagnut27 likes this.
  9. patfromigh

The point being, the larger 8-speed is from ZF. The question then becomes, how will electrification fits into the picture. Is the rear drive hybrid transmission simply purchased from ZF or will the smaller unit built in Kokomo be adapted for hybrid duty. If the Jeep Wrangler PHEV is a P2 hybrid, it will probably be the ZF unit. The front drive hybrid drive transaxle is built in-house, will the rear drive hybrid transmission be built in-house as well? For some historical back ground, the Aspen and Durango Hemi-Hybrids, and the PHEV Ram pickups built for the DOE research project a decade ago used an Allison design built by GM. GM gouged Chrysler for the cost.

10. patfromigh

OK, since I brought up the Jeep hybrid drivetrain in this Kokomo thread, I will also add that Toledo Machining in Perrysburg, Ohio will build the Power Electronics module for the Wrangler PHEV. (The power electronics module is not a mechanical part in the sense it connects mechanically to the drivetrain, the way an electric motor does in an EV.) Coincidentally to this Toledo Machining also builds torque converters to be sent to Kokomo for the eight and nine speed transmissions. A question still remains where will the electric motor(s) be placed within the drivetrain? If it is in the transmission, Toledo Machining may be in contention for building that part as well.

Another question. Where is the 9-speed automatic used in the 2020 MY Ducato models built? The Ram ProMaster still uses the old 6-speed.

XRT2SRT, ShawnP, Dave Z and 2 others like this.
  11. Adventurer55

I thought Tipton was where the 9sp was assembled.

12. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I was wondering about the nine-speed in the ProMaster. We know the ProMaster is pretty heavily modified from the Ducato though I'd have thought the 2020 Ducato would have incorporated some of those changes (for capacity and durability, though maybe there's a weight penalty for both). If the ProMaster switched over, the only two vehicles using six-speeds would be dead men walking.

13. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Good point. Bigger point, there are 4 Chrysler facilities in Kokomo, including Tipton, which is close enough to be within the area of "Metropolitan Kokomo" at only 10 miles south of the city. It would take longer to get through Kokomo than to drive between the two in any sort of traffic. Of course about 3/4 of that made up metro area is grain farms. I drive through there somewhat frequently going to and from my sister's house, which is about 25 miles NE of Kokomo. The new US-31 bypass is the best part of US-31, as it's one of the few sections built to Interstate standards.

A bit of trivia for the group: In the original Blues Brothers, did you know that "Bob's Country Bunker" was supposed to be in Kokomo?

14. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

It looks like the old US 31 was already intended as a bi-pass and it just got bi-passed again.

Adventurer55 and Tony K like this.
  15. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Yeah, very common occurence in the 60s - 80s, I think. We built these 4 lane bypasses around places like Kokomo and Lafayette (US-52), which then built up, defeating the purpose of the bypass when they started adding stoplights instead of building the infrastructure as a freeway to start with. How much better would getting around cities like Kokomo and Lafayette have been today, had they built the road as a proper freeway back when? We have the same problem in Evansville with an expressway through the city that was started in the late 80s that politics prevented from being a proper freeway, because businesses will be harmed. Well, let's be short-sighted to protect your business now, because God forbid we actually design a road network that's functional still in 50 years.

Dave Z likes this.
  16. Adventurer55

Like the first Route 30 bypass in Fort Wayne. Now it's 930.

Tony K likes this.
  17. MOPARTE

MOPARTE Active Member

No expansions approved at this time for the 8 speed in Kokomo.

18. MOPARTE

MOPARTE Active Member

9 speed is presently assembled at ITP1 and Tipton.

Tony K likes this.
  19. MOPARTE

MOPARTE Active Member

At one point in time FCA built 8 speeds had lower warranty claims than ZF, not sure how current metrics look.

wtxiceman and Dave Z like this.