AF: Motor Trend says a new Dakota is coming. | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motor Trend says a new Dakota is coming.

Discussion in 'Rumors and General Chrysler Discussion' started by voiceofstl, Jun 4, 2020.

1. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Technically the last Dakota was a Ram Dakota. For 2011, when it was pretty much done, Dakota switched to Ram from Dodge.

Adventurer55 likes this.
  2. KCP Worker

KCP Worker Well-Known Member

This is why I put 240,000 miles on my 2002 Dakota.

3. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Remember what was going on during that time, and who had control of the "equal partners" company. The rest is common sense.

Donte Lindsey, wtxiceman and DC-93 like this.
  4. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

No idea. When I was shopping for my truck I was really looking for a gen2 Dakota crew cab (or whatever they called it) with 4wd. Something like that would be my ideal truck.

voiceofstl and Adventurer55 like this.
  5. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

You know, I would go along with that, except the 300, Charger, Magnum and just a bit later in the darkest of times the Challenger emerged. So that isn't the reason.

6. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Thinking about it a little. A gen2 Dakota with a Pentastar and the 8 speed auto would be about perfect for me.

cdjr77, Bob Lincoln and voiceofstl like this.
  7. Adventurer55

The point here, I'm trying to make is that Ram and Jeep both currently have a certain "look" that their customers embrace. Even to the point of maybe overlooking other issues that buyers of other brands may take for granted. I also should've added the ugliness also extended in lesser forms at the time to Grand Cherokee, Ram 1500 etc. Goofy headlights, weird bullet taillights and really plain grey on white dashes and Vulcan emotionless interiors didn't help. They have left all this behind today. If a new Dakota does emerge, please don't over think it. Use the generation two philosophy. A baby Ram look.

8. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Remember who pushed the design for these models against the will of Schremmp? Remember the blowback he got when the ME412 was shown, and his desire not to drop Mitsubishi? The latter was the straw that broke the camel's back. Also, remember the PT Cruiser? That was supposed to be a halo vehicle that would sell less than 60K per year at best.

9. Adventurer55

Oh, there's not a doubt in my mind that the German occupation almost fatally damaged the company. But, with that said, some of their designs post Tom Gale were way off base. It wasn't just Chrysler either, look at the Chevy Colorado of that time, way worse then the S-10 it replaced.

10. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Is the Gladiator that this Dakota would be based on, a BOF or unibody? I really don't want a unibody truck.

11. Adventurer55

The Gladiator is BOF. The way it was explained in an unveiling I read was that behind the cab the setup was lifted from a Ram 1500, only sized to fit the Gladiator.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  12. butcher_block

butcher_block Active Member

i have no hope of a nice simple mid size truck. im rebuilding my 02 dak std cab 4x4 V8 and a clutch. good truck but i live in PA so i have the normal for us rust issues. thinking hemi tr6060 and NV244 woudl be fun when i need to change out the motor

13. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Having owned a Gladiator for a while, I can say there is definitely a market for Dakota for a few reasons:
    1) Gladiator (and even JL Wrangler) rides much better than the old Wrangler. But when it gets down to it,Gladiator does not ride or handle as good as my 1999 or 2008 Dakotas. It's a Jeep. I accept the compromise. Some people won't and those will be sales lost to Ranger, Colorado/Canyon, or Ranger.
    2) The Wrangler styling applied to Gladiator results in a narrower cab than a "Dakota" would given the same footprint.
    3) Price - Gladiator pricing is better, but without every model being 4WD, there is room for cheaper trucks.

14. superduckie5000

superduckie5000 THE MAD DUCK
    Level III Supporter

My Wild Guess is it will be Made in Toledo.
    And I Hope It is About the Size of the 2001 Dakota.
    Don't Care What they Call IT.

Adventurer55, jclick, ShawnP and 2 others like this.
  15. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I just want a bed that's at least 6.5 ft x 4 ft, and can take a cap, so that I have locking, dry storage, like I do now.

page2171 and superduckie5000 like this.
  16. dana44

Ad-Free Member

As in the past, I think a smaller version of the Ram itself would be more than ample to sell. Some of us out here don't need a truck that is as large as the half ton Ram. And I sure hope they have a two door version instead of just a four door version, I kind of like having a truck that can only hold three people max, which gives it a little larger bed without it being difficult to park. The '95 Sport Dakota I have is so much easier to get into than the larger truck, too, which is a plus.

17. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

The UAW prez in Toledo said some upgrades would have to happen for the Dakota.

Tells me FCA was/is serious in bringing one to market.

Not a engineer but Toledo Supplier Park looks to have some room to expand and isn't as landlocked as Warren Truck.

Hopefully it can be a 100-150k seller.

ScramFan likes this.
  18. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

is that 4ft between the wheel wells?

19. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Metric ton Made in the USA? :eek:

20. Adventurer55

For a NA product, that would be the logical assembly location, and the Gladiator chassis, modified for ifs would make an ideal starting point. I just don't see it happening anytime soon, given what the corporation has on it's plate at the moment. Then you factor in the unknown status of the economy going forward, plus the merger, and the fact that this company makes product decisions at a snail's pace. I'd guess 2025 at the earliest.