Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motor Trend's 2018 Car of the Year Award: Alfa Romeo Giulia

Discussion in 'Fiat News & Rumors' started by romalerig, Nov 28, 2017.

1. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

danbek and bluskye like this.
  2. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

The Giulia is a great car no doubt. I think it deserves the award. However, to think that advertising plays no role in the whole process is quite naive. There is pay to play, a back and forth that exists. It has been that way for a very long time. It goes both ways, too.

AlfaCuda and jorisr like this.
  3. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

There are manufacturers far more egregious in that type of tactics than FCA. VW is notorious for that.

4. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

Finally saw one on the road yesterday. The thing was gorgeous in dark blue with a nasty exhaust sound!
    Hope the bugs are ironed out when my current lease is up.

BASONE88 likes this.
  5. Heine Pedersen

Noticed something bizar on youtube today. Alfa's 280hp GME doesn't come with a manual gearbox and the redline starts at 5500rpm.

In the new Jeep Wrangler, with the same engine, you can pair it with a 6 speed manual and redline starts at 6000rpm?

Shouldn't it be the other way around??

:)

6. T_690

T_690 Active Member

No, 6100.

7. Heine Pedersen

Isn't that fuel cut-off?

Either way, do you think a manual for Alfa is coming?

8. T_690

T_690 Active Member

6100 rpm although scale suggests different. Fuel cut off is at 6200 rpm.

Wrangler specs say:
    • Max. Engine Speed (rpm): 5,800 rpm (electronically limited)

Deckard_Cain and AlfaCuda like this.
  9. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Yeah, I saw one in the flesh for the first time recently. It was a real stunner in white. It has this unquenchable presence to it. Similar to how a Challenger, or a Hellcat Challenger, or a Viper command attention. Lots of (Ralph Gilles era) FCA vehicles seem to be able to do that.

They have this ability to suck attention away from other much more exclusive vehicles. I have seen plenty of Hellcats now. And I am telling you, there is no car I have ever seen anywhere that gets the ooohs and aaahs and jealousy that Hellcats get.

They are “visual funnels”.

The new Giulia is the same. It’s simply gorgeous.

Deckard_Cain, somber, tlc and 2 others like this.
  10. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

Personally, I don't. American customers always say they want a manual, then they buy the automatic. You need to be selling huge volumes to make it worthwhile for the tiny percentage who follow through on their preference for "stick", and actually buy one. Only 18% of US drivers can drive a manual transmission, according to a recent survey. Even though that percentage will be much higher for customers of a performance car like Giulia, those buyers still need to consider who else has to drive the car, and how they can sell it a few years down the road (and leasing companies don't want manuals; they want cars that are easy to sell on at end of lease)

Even European buyers, who nearly all can drive a manual transmission, prefer the auto transmission in the Giulia, and right-hand-drive markets (Japan, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, UK, Ireland) do not get any manual transmission option at all.

To be honest, the automatic is so good in Giulia, you won't miss the manual gearbox.

AlfaCuda and Deckard_Cain like this.
  11. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

I call it "Rolling Art Sculpture". Car looks great from every angle and sits well on it's tires.

Morty and page2171 like this.
  12. Heine Pedersen

I know the ZF AT8 is a great transmission. But here in Europe we can get the diesels(and QV) with a manual. So, a bit weird we can't get it for the two GME petrols?

13. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Active Member

I have read a few reviews that did not have any praise for the manual box on the QF. So it's just as well I guess. The car that's more likely to match well with a manual box would be the 4C I think.

14. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

That is for sure. Even the Challenger has a few weak angles. The Giulia does not. It is gorgeous everywhere. I thought that the Q, would be the only one that looked great, but when I saw the base car, it is hot looking as well. I was thinking that it was the thrill and performance of the Q that was so attractive.

The Giulia is just a great shape. It belongs in MoMA (NY museum of Modern Art).

AlfaCuda and Morty like this.
  15. pumadog

pumadog Active Member

To observe every angle:

:)

BASONE88 and Morty like this.
  16. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

Now you understand why so many people go crazy about Alfas. ;)

Morty likes this.
  17. M.O.D.

M.O.D. Active Member

awesome

18. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Oh, I have known for years why folks go crazy over them. Thanks though.

I still have yet to get get an Alfa. That is on my bucket list.

I am waiting. I think there are models coming that are more up my alley than the (very beautiful) Giulia. The SUV-Crossover Stelvio is a pukefest. I dislike all of the new sports car SUVs. Bleckth!!!