Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motor Trend's World's Greatest Drag Race

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by GMtoMoparConvert, Sep 25, 2017.

1. GMtoMoparConvert

GMtoMoparConvert Active Member

Somebody PLEASE tell me why the Demon was not chosen to race in this?! This was article was just released a couple days ago, would production be the issue? Surely to goodness Dodge would get one to them if they could have. I know that the Hellcat had a tendency to get loose. Do you think maybe they're worried the Demon would as well? I don't know... These were the cars chosen for the 7th edition of the race:

Ferrari 488 GTB
    Porsche 911 Turbo S
    Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
    Porsche 718 Cayman S
    Lexus LC 500
    Mercedes-AMG GT R
    Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
    Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport
    Aston Martin DB11
    Nissan GT-R NISMO
    Mazda MX-5 Miata RF
    McLaren 570GT

World's Greatest Drag Race 7: Which Car Will Win? The Answer Might Shock You - Motor Trend (at http://www.motortrend.com/news/worlds-greatest-drag-race_7/ )

2. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Probably lack of availability

3. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

No need.

Plus, the outcome would have been predetermined, and on top of that, if it didn't win, then the Motortrend folks would never ever ever had heard the end of it from the Finnegan, Freiburger, Taylor, er al. (The Demon ain't exactly the easiest car in the world to launch.)

GMtoMoparConvert and suzq044 like this.
  4. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

I was wondering the same thing when I read it a couple of days ago. No Demon...or a Mustang even...but they included a Camaro?? I'm often puzzled at the choices of vehicles included in some of these comparos. As stated above, availability may come into play.

GMtoMoparConvert and suzq044 like this.
  5. GMtoMoparConvert

GMtoMoparConvert Active Member

I thought the Alpha held it's own given the field, though.

6. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Probably because its the World's Greatest Drag Race 7 and features cars from the 2017 model year where the SRT Demon is a 2018 and SRT HELLCAT widebody are 2018 models.

UN4GTBL and tomaz like this.
  7. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

What is it? The paid advertisement of Tesla?

8. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

HP Camaros are a dime-a-dozen....................and GM's tentacles reach far and wide when it comes to publicity in motorsports publications/websites.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  9. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

That comparison has some weird choices in there. And I wouldn't include the Q in a drag race. If it was a track race then sure. But just acceleration the Demon would be the obvious FCA choice.

10. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

My favorite, Godzilla, did really well; aging platform and all. Always a contender, though.

Why didn't they include the Demon or the HellCat in addition to the Alfa? I think the answer is obvious.

Not sure the Demon could wind through the field without the driver having had practice runs with a big field of simultaneous competition, that is as opposed to practice runs against the clock at a proper sanctioned drag strip in a different climate.

15,000 feet of broad concrete at approximately a mile inland from Purisma Point, Santa Barbara County, California is, for all practical purposes, a beach location. Not in the Teeth of the Wind, there, but darned close.

Family would drive up to that general area near Santa Barbara as a bit of a get-away from the LA Basin. Brother went to university there. Wife and I loved Solvang/Buellton/Santa Ynez area further inland just South.

Love the atmosphere there.

I've been keeping track of the Greatest Drag Race for a few years. It's fun marketing. I'd hoped they'd run a standing mile, with time traps at the Quarter, Half and full Mile marking points. At a place like Vandenburg AFB you can do it. A single run with potential benefits showing meaningful results. But I digress.