Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mustang Pursuit?

Discussion in 'Police, Taxis, Ambulances, etc' started by ScottB, Dec 18, 2015.

1. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

2. XDCX

XDCX Member

While I enjoyed reading the article you linked I think the demand for a high performance two-door pursuit vehicle is really small.

When Ford launched their SSP Mustang back in 1982 it made sense because the four door police cars of that era were such poor performers. Today, by contrast, even the mid-performance offerings of the OEMs are capable of delivering the level of performance the job requires.

Concerning a Challenger SRT8 police vehicle - there's at least one on patrol. Check out the video in linked in the first post of this thread - click here

3. XDCX

XDCX Member

If you get a chance I really recommend watching the video in the link.

The final seconds of the video show a C7 Corvette flying by a marked Challenger SRT8 parked on the side of the road and the radar flashes a speed of 200 MPH.

4. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

5. XDCX

XDCX Member

I was thinking back to the 1982 Mustang SSP (Special Service Package) and I'm pretty sure the 1979 Chrysler R-Bodies played a role in the development of that car.

As I understand it the California Highway Patrol had a great relationship with Chrysler and loved the 440 Big Block and 727 Transmission in the Monaco. When the Monaco died in 1978 the CHP ordered the 1979 Dodge St. Regis but for some reason the 360 was not approved for California Emissions so the best they could do was order their St. Regis squads with a 318 4BBL. Based on what I've read the CHP liked the overall design of the St. Regis but they hated the low power output of the 318 - especially compared to the 440 Monacos.

Back to the original topic - I think the need for high performance two-door pursuit cars is mostly dead and the public's concern regarding high speed pursuits has forced law enforcement to re-evaluate whether they really need to chase a vehicle and put lives in danger for non-felony offenses.

6. ScottB

ScottB Active Member

I wasn't questioning the performance of today's Chargers, I was just suggesting that a pursuit Challenger is stealthy and that has a lot of benefits.

7. Bearhawke

1979 still offered the E58 360-4V everywhere; 1980 was when that engine was no longer certified for 1980 for sale in California, just the 318-4V which was def a dog.

8. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

But yet that "dog" 318-4 St Regis was faster than any of the other police sedan candidates for CA that year.

9. Bearhawke

No argument there; just that the 1979 model was still acceptable since it could still be had with the 360-4V, the Fords that year were def non players and, as for the Chevy Impala, it was still slower than the R bodies.