AF: My 300 will be my last Chrysler product | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 300 will be my last Chrysler product

Discussion in 'Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by 2012JKU, Feb 1, 2020.

1. 2012JKU

2012JKU Active Member

Have a 2015 Chrysler 300C Platinum AWD. Got it as an FCA company car, 1 year old with 30k km on it. Now at 91k km and warranty is almost done.

The car has been reliable mechanically but have had 5 recalls. (Drive shaft, cruise control, auto park, gas evap cannister, air bag) This is more than every other vehicle i have owned combined! The back-up camera has failed twice and been replaced under warranty. Had to have the shifter replaced as well as the car was stuck in park due to a faulty module.

The worst part is i have been to 4 dealers in my county and the service has been awful. The only one left i didnt try didnt provide loaners....just shuttle service. I paid extra to extend the warranty to 5 year 100k km. It was around $2k from Chrysler.

The final straw for me is the emblem on the trunklid fell off and one of the child latch covers in the rear window broke off. Chrysler will not cover these under warranty! Cheap plastic crap is not covered.

Bottom line is the 300 is a nice looking car but not the best built (lots of squeaks and rattles on the highway that ruin an otherwise nice ride) The quality leaves lot to be desired and the dealers treat their customers like garbage. Very sorry I bought this car. Wont make the mistake of buying another FCA product when they wont even stand behind them.

2. HemiJeepMagnum

HemiJeepMagnum Active Member

Sounds like today's automotive manufacturer policies these days. I have 3 early DCX vehicles, an 05 Magnum RT, which I bought new and now has 80K on it, an 06 Chrysler 300C SRT8, which I bought with 164K on it, and an 06 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland which was bought with 49K on it. All vehicles have Hemi engines. I have never had any notable problems, mechanically or cosmetically, with Maggie and the Jeep, but the SRT was completely original and had not been well cared for. I've spent, over the past year going through everything on it and now I trust it as much as the others. I think, the difference between your 2015 and the earlier ones is that yours was built by Fiat Chrysler and mine were all built by Damiler Benz. That's not to say that mine don't have some of the cheapo plastic crap in them, but if/when I have any minor issues (almost all fair wear and tear items) I fix them immediately. I also do all my own work and none of them have ever been to a dealer for maintenance, EXCEPT for recalls. Maggie was recalled for the air bag inflators, the 300 had the air bag inflators and I recently had the fuel tank replaced under lifetime warranty, and the Jeep has two or 3 outstanding recalls that I won't have done, because some of these forums have reported that the fix is worse than the original problem. ...Final Drive Control Module and Ignition switch. My philosophy on these is that if it "ain't" broke, don't fix it.

I don't plan on buying any of the newer junk and hope to keep these almost forever. The more crap they add, the more there is to go wrong. Just my 2 cents worth.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  3. GaryS

GaryS Well-Known Member

From what I see, no one has to worry about buying a 300 anymore. My wife's been trying to find a 2020 Limited for a couple of months, but the salesman can't locate one and they don't have any on order. I just ran a dealer inventory and found three stripped Touring models and one Limited within 125 miles. The Limited has none of the options she wants and three she doesn't want, plus the color doesn't interest her.

We'd order one, but she wants to see a couple of different colors in real life before committing. Looks like that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

4. 2012JKU

2012JKU Active Member

I predict the 300 will be done after the 2020 model year. New ones are very hard to find around here. Most are fleet ordered as rental vehicles. I saved quite a bit getting a year old one with a few km on it. I dont think that has had anything to do with the issues the car has had. Most of them are due to the bean counters at Chrysler using the cheapest suppliers for parts. The fact stuff breaks and then you need to go to a dealer is when things really go down hill. The dealers just dont give a crap and want to sell extra services or parts. Chrysler has definitely went down hill Fiat took over. I know Chrysler probably doesnt care if i buy another one of their products but they should as when enough people get fed up and go elsewhere, they will be ready for their 3rd bankruptcy.

5. HemiJeepMagnum

You're right on all counts. I originally became interested in the early DCX vehicles and the Hemi engines, mostly because they used quite a few Mercedes parts in them (suspensions, seats, transmissions, and some other stuff), and I had had Mercedes vehicles for about 20 years prior to the DCX vehicles. As I said, I'll only take mine to the stealer for recalls, nothing else. If I have to go to them for parts, I do so begrudgingly. About the only thing I'll have done by someone else (not the stealer though) is front end work, and then there is only one guy that I'll let touch any of them. I am getting too old to do this anymore, although I did most of the SRT's front/rear bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.

I honestly think that, if I ever have to buy another vehicle, I'll go to one of the classic car auctions and buy an older something or other that has been completely restored and has almost everything new on it. I am not interested in more exotic electronics, cheap components, and complex accessories and other systems.

jerseyjoe likes this.
  6. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Actually, from everything I've read, it's not the suppliers who are cheap, but FCA, and FCA has consistently tried to drive down supplier costs to the point where quality is suffering. Suppliers are going to build cheaper quality under cost constraints.

Rick Anderson, page2171 and valiant67 like this.
  7. 1999 White C5 Coupe

1999 White C5 Coupe Well-Known Member

My son bought a 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Outdoorsman with the Hemi - and he loves the vehicle.

FCA has issued 14 safety recalls for the 2014 Ram model year. Although I don’t think everyone applied to his vehicle, there were many, many recalls that affected his vehicle - which required appointments and trips to the dealer for repair.

I have always felt that a vehicle manufacturer should be required to compensate the vehicle owner for the time / travel / expenses of returning a vehicle for a safety recall repair. With both adults working in a family, and only two vehicles in the family, it becomes an inconvenience to return a vehicle (usually daytime M-F) when the adults are working.

8. HemiJeepMagnum

Wouldn't that be nice? Bet it would help light a fire under them to start building better vehicles......maybe wishful thinking though.

page2171 likes this.
  9. 2012JKU

2012JKU Active Member

Scheduling appointments is definitely inconvenient. I have 3 small kids and 3 car seats in the 300. I usually get the loaner and try to get them to finish by the end of the day cause moving 3 seats in that car is a PITA. Next vehicle will be an SUV but certainly not anything FCA makes.

10. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

Remember that fca was under fire for their lack of recalls. I believe a lot of these recalls are so not to get slapped again. A lot of manufacturers use quiet recalls and do the repair during scheduled service, some don’t even bother with either

Tony K likes this.
  11. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

If you really want one that bad, just order it. They’ll build it. All the colors available on the 300 is available on most of the fca fleet. Easy enough to see them in real life. I have yet to see one in a “bad” color

Tony K likes this.
  12. GaryS

GaryS Well-Known Member

We probably will order one if she can see either of the new late availability colors in person. Challenger supposedly offers those colors, but there were none in stock among their dozen or so Challengers. Nearly every new car on the lot was one of the usual earth-tones, or shades of gray.

13. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Have a 2015 300 and my grandkids say Toyotas rattle less. As far as I know every brand has airbag issues. Unless I hit the lottery It will be our last car. My 2009 Challanger only issue is rear quarter panel rust. Sad part is it has never been in the snow. It does pass inspection, just get oil changes. My major beef is had to replace 2 rear directional bulbs. My 2005 300 and my 1998 Neon never had issues. With another merger coming I wll buy a low milage 2010 Mopar.

14. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Yeah, appointments for an oil change!

15. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Always change my own oil.

No issues with my FCA SUV or minivan.
    My older 2010 Sebring was one of our best vehicles ever. I changed a $13. crank sensor. That was about it in 8 years and 125,000. miles.

saltydog likes this.
  16. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I've never had to make an appointment for an oil change. The only time I had to make an appointment for service was when I received the airbag recalls for my '06 Ram 1500. Both times I had to schedule an appointment. But for an oil change, nope, never had to. If they are that busy I'll do it myself or find another local shop.

17. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

Oil changes at my local dealer are done within an hour with no appointments. In fact the only service requiring appts. were for a recall and if I wanted a wheel alignment when I had tire rotations and balance. Three straight LX cars required service other than regular maintenance.
    I moved on to other brands as the LX’s really show their age compared to competition. The Hemi is great but the rest of vehicle lacks the refinement of others. Ride and handling is waaay too stiff IMO. Plus the “Punks are Us” look is getting old.

18. valiant67

valiant67 ...

It all seems to come down to dealer choice:
    1) offer quick lane service for oil changes without appointments
    2) require an appointment and get you in and out quickly
    3) require an appointment and still take a couple hours

My dealer in Georgia was a solid believer is choice #1.
    My experience in Pennsylvania is that #3 is most common, #2 happens occasionally. Because the dealer is close to home and there's always a spare car around, I've just made it a habit to leave the car for the day even for an oil change.

19. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

My last few dealers were like #1 or #2. My current dealer is #3, and it takes 2-3 weeks to get in for an oil change, and then it takes hours to get it done and they don't offer even a shuttle service.

20. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

I've heard of this. Supposed to have something to do with sound insulation inside the car, but so far, I haven't seen anything on mine. Of course, as a general rule, I keep mine indoors if it even LOOKS like rain, let alone snow. I intentionally put 3 season BFG GeForce Comps on it to prevent me from even thinking about driving in winter weather, but they're actually really good in rain. What is interesting after making a trip to the garage just now, that lower 6 inches of metal in front of the rear tire doesn't make a thump, but a solid thud on both sides. Apparently, that lowest part is a heavier frame directly underneath or has internal insulation.

#20 Tony K, Feb 17, 2020 at 2:26 PM
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020 at 2:33 PM