Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My car was hit :(......

Discussion in 'GFAQ: G-Body Frequently Asked Questions' started by Scstables, May 23, 2014.

1. Scstables

Scstables Member

I CANNOT believe this!!!!!! I was on a job site to deliver a check, and a machine operator backed into my car with a skid loader!!!!! OMG!!!! I am sooo upset!!!! Driver door damaged, front fender creamed. They have general liability but I am worried they will total it as it is 26 years old!!!!! I don't what to do need advice. I can barely get the door open to get in it. :(

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

To avoid totaling it financially (as it would be), you can settle for an amount below the total threshold (which is often 80% of book value - not enough to fix it at a shop), and fix it yourself/have a friend do it via junkyard parts. Or in some states, you can take the settlement and buy back the car as a salvage title (which may not allow you to register and drive it, depending on the law).

If it's truly just the fender and door, I'd urge you to fix it. Bob O'Neill had an accident c2005 where someone destroyed his driver's door. He fixed it himself and it looks great.

floridaman2013 likes this.
  3. Scstables

Scstables Member

No adjuster has called me yet. I talked to CRS insurance and told them if I don't hear back from an adjuster, I will call the better business bureau because I want my car fixed back to the way it was before it was hit by that skid loader!!!! UGH. I mean this, I want it fixed.

Only problem is I cannot do body work. I have no idea how to. And I don't want a shitty job done on this car!!!! I will raise hell!!!!

You mean if I have to buy it back after they would total it, I could not get a legit title??? Those dirty bastards better not do this because the car IS drive-able!!!!! I fight the SOB's!!!!

ARGH!!!!!

Yes it's the fender, and my door. You have an email addy I can email you a photo I can't seem to get it to upload here.

4. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

A lot of this depends on your state's laws, if you get a salvage title or not.
    Your best thing to do now is to establish a value for your car. If they value it at $1000, they will total it for $700 in value. You'd get the $1000 minus the salvage value (probably $200-300) so they's pay you only $700-800 if you keep the car. Now if the car can be shown to be worth $2000, then it may not get totaled and get fixed instead.

5. Scstables

Scstables Member

Thank you for that bit of information. I asked the insurance company and this is what they said: " if the insurance company decides to total the car, then I have to apply for a salvage title, then go through the reconstruction process to put it back on the road." So if the dorks total my car, then I have to go through the hassle of this too.

I talked to the appraiser and he was concerned about getting parts. I said there is, if I recall, a Daytona "graveyard" some where in west Virginia. I know it was mentioned some where on this forum. If anyone knows anything about this I would like to find that thread or the information. Also there has to be "after market" manufacturers that can make a front quarter panel...

6. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

The junkyard is in Bluefield, VA. It was said a few years ago that getting the guy to sell parts can be hit-or-miss. Some days he just wants to hoard his stuff, some days he's OK selling them. If you search the forums you can find his contact info.

Scstables likes this.
  7. Scstables

Scstables Member

THANK YOU Bob Lincoln!! I will google it!

BTW, the appraiser said my car is valued at $2,800 to $3,200 and that to fix the damage it would be around $1,900.00. I asked why so high he said because of the labor involved in painting it. That's freaking insane!! But glad to hear the appraiser is doing his best to prevent totaling it so I don't have to go through the reconstruction of the title process if the insurance totals it. I told the appraiser if that happens we plan on buying it back I am not allowing this car to end up in the junk yard ever! Of course I know things happen where a deer or something like that could actually total it (I hope not) but I am doing everything in my power to keep it out of the junk yard and looking good.

Someone that saw my car yesterday from the rear end and said immediately, "collector's item"!! and I said, look at the fender driver's side. They said, oh no, are you going to get it fixed? I said yes of course!

It's looking hopeful at this point. Keeping fingers crossed!!

8. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

It's actually Bluefield, WV, and I found this old post from 2006 - so no guarantees that he's still around:

"Johnny Borich at The Car Farm has over 200 Daytona's he is parting out and he still has a few of the original Mopar cavuum harnes repair kits in stock, but not many. He can be reached at 304-327-9160. He is only open from 7:30PM till he closes and Saturdays from 11:30am to 4:00pm. Close Wednesday and Sunday. He is an Army of 1, often too busy at the counter to answer the phone on the first few rings, but worth a few call-backs to reach him. He has been stockpiling the 2.2 and 2.5 parts for a number of yeras. He has it"

9. Scstables

Scstables Member

Awesome, thanks!! I had another idea, I sent an email to Count's Kustoms to see if they know of anyone that produces after market fenders for the 88 dodge Daytona (don't know if that will produce anything lol).

10. valiant67

Level III Supporter

I'm glad to see they just didn't say, oh it's an old car and worth $1000.

Scstables likes this.
  11. Scstables

Scstables Member

Exactly :thumbsup:

BTW, I have a question for you all. Do I need to find a 1988 fender specifically? Or can I get a 87, or an 89? This would expand my options if I can do this. Thank you.

12. valiant67

Level III Supporter

Looks like it is the same from 1987-1991.

13. Scstables

Scstables Member

I sure hope so, as it would make it easier finding a fender. One place that had one wanted $500.00 and that included shipping (this is nuts!!!!). Ha!! I said I would sent the info to the insurance appraiser. Any how, I located a salvage yard 35 miles from me that may have a 1990 one for a heck of a lot less.

Weaver's body shop in my area uses this web site to search car-part.com and I am find it's very helpful.....

14. valiant67

Level III Supporter

Try www.car-part.com if you have no luck on your own. You can sort by distance and price. Shipping may be expensive on a fender.

15. Scstables

Scstables Member

The insurance company just cut me a check for $1,900.00 to fix my car!!!!!! I am so happy!!

Also thanks to car-part we have located a fender....

I am going to call Weavers and set up a time to bring my car in to get it repaired. I can't wait!!!

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  16. TM1963

TM1963 Active Member

That's good news! Hope it works out well. +1 on car-part.com

17. Scstables

Scstables Member

I am waiting to hear back from the salvage yard in my area that has a maroon fender. I missed their call yesterday and by the time I got home they were already closed. I left a message so I should hear something on Monday.

And I spoke to Johnny from the Car Farm. He says he still has 100 daytonas, and if needed he can pick out the best fender for my car. He says he can ship if necessary as the car farm is 5 hours from me. He says he also has a ton of other parts for daytonas to give him a call if I needed anything else. I said sure. I even sent him a photo of the damage on my Daytona. And he also confirmed that any fender from 1987 to 1991 would work on my car. So, I will keep him on my contact list in my smart phone so I have his information if I need any smaller parts that can be sent by mail.

I can't wait till I get through all of this and get my Daytona fixed! I just wish I could add the effects to the car while it is in the shop because Johnny says he has all kinds of ground effects and spoilers for this year car. If I win the lottery, I might do this but I probably should maybe keep it original...

Bob Lincoln likes this.