AF: My favorite thing about my PT Cruiser | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My favorite thing about my PT Cruiser

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by PtPooter, Jun 25, 2020.

1. PtPooter

PtPooter Active Member

It's starting to get hotter in the Phoenix area, the A/C on this car is so good that's why I decided to fix all the problems instead of it getting towed to junkyard.

I think of all the passenger cars I've driven, at least this PT Cruiser has the best A/C, and that could be because you can shut off the vent on passenger side to blow more air on the driver's side.

My Corvette A/C is cold too, but the blower or vents don't put out as much air pressure, try to close the vent on passenger side, it doesn't close off fully like PT.

Also PT Cruiser has very dark tinted windows, would say most likely illegal in some places, but great for this brutal place.

Do others here think the A/C on their PT is better than other cars they drive?

2. Doctorona

Doctorona Member

I find it comfortable to drive... all the controls are easily within reach.

3. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Yeah, the a/c in my GT was ice cold. And here in FL, that's a must for me. I could get out of that sucker and my glasses would fog up in an instant. Not so much with the Forte, but it has a pretty good a/c. Just not as good as the PT.

4. PtPooter

PtPooter Active Member

I forgot to mention, the low pressure switch was bypassed and I have left it alone.

On GF's mother's PT Cruiser I fixed her A/C after a Firestone shop did timing belt and water pump, a/c didn't work and it was flat, we took it there and they denied discharging the refrigerant and moving the a/c lines.

Her A/C worked fine before going there.

I took her car home tested with nitrogen.

Used to be HVAC technician so still have some tools to help do A/C on cars.

Well it had a huge leak on both lines where they attach near firewall.

I pulled the seals and matched them with new seals I had leftover from a variety bag that I had from doing compressor replacement on Corvette, it leaked again!

I got to looking and figured out Firestone did in fact open the system, these deals were too big and not going in the machined groove of hose ends, they were overlapping the pieces and that's why major leaks.

Looked in bag and got lucky, found 2 that fit perfectly, leak fixed.

Also fixed some hacked up wiring someone did to try to bypass the low pressure switch, as well as added new low pressure switch.

She wanted to go to Firestone and bring me to explain what I found, but I explained to her they don't give a crap about her, and will lie even more.

That "mechanic" put in too large of seals and probably could not figure out why it was leaking, they had already charged her over $2000.00 for the timing belt/water pump.

They told her for $1800.00 they would replace all of the A/C stuff, compressor, hoses, evaporator.

I think they were just going to guess at it and say they replaced all the other stuff.

She thought because she used them for years they would care about her.

Anyways I really didn't mean to get into that, I was going to say her car has good A/C but not like mine.

Maybe it's the window tinting on mine, her car has no tinting.

5. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

Well then, they are still responsible for the a/c not working, if it did prior to their work, because I'm pretty sure it says in the Service Manual to discharge the a/c system and disconnect the lines for the timing belt replacement. ;)

If they say they didn't disconnect the lines, then they took a shortcut and didn't follow the established steps for the procedure. ;)

6. PtPooter

PtPooter Active Member

Yeah, but luckily I know how to fix it, they were lying to our faces and had her car another day before they denied everything.

I had it fixed in a few hours including finding out what was wrong and also another nitrogen pressure test, let it hold for about 1.5 hours, then evacuated a good hour before weighing in new refrigerant.

It really shows how incompetent or dishonest shops are.

To do the timing belt/water pump they had her car almost 2 weeks.

7. 06PTElectricBlue

I would go back there. Your best evidence is that you were able to fix it, without needing to replace all the a/c parts that they were recommending and they can see that the a/c is working just fine. ;)

They should be glad to pay you $100 for your time and trouble to fix their error. :)

If that doesn't work, get a hold of a District Manager.

8. 421 SD Poncho

421 SD Poncho Active Member

The color PP6 BRIGHT SEAMIST GREEN outside and inside. Outside was from factory and inside BSG green and SEM black was by me.

13.18  rear-side with moons & skirts (Medium).jpg

My interior front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My interior rear.

[​IMG]

Rear buckets folded forward and custom rear storage in place.
    seats down & rear cover with decals.jpg

Jerry

9. 06PTElectricBlue

Couldn't find the best place to post this, and wanted to get your attention to it Jerry, but since you have been around the PT craze since the beginning, do you have any history or background on this 3-dimensional flame PT hood? A member is parting out their Gen1 and it has this hood. I think you had a hood thread over on The Crew, but sadly that forum no longer exists.

Here is a link to his for sale thread:

2004 Turbo PT Cruiser part out. Some performance parts!!! (at https://www.allpar.com/forums/threads/2004-turbo-pt-cruiser-part-out-some-performance-parts.226625/#post-1085200589 )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

the3dgm likes this.
  10. the3dgm

the3dgm Member

I think Jerry was just mentioning that they were available. I would have never guessed they looked that good though!

06PTElectricBlue likes this.
  11. 06PTElectricBlue

It certainly is unique, because if you try to Google for it, nothing comes up.

The member is selling parts off his PT, and he's in Oklahoma. With Todd being in Arkansas, he should get this hood, just to keep it from going to the scrap yard. :)

Who knows, he may find someone in the future that would like it for their PT. ;)

Here is a thread on PTCL that mentions a raised flame hood, unfortunately, since I am no longer a member of PTCL, I can't few the pics posted in the thread:

[​IMG]

Hood Flames? - Page 2 - PT Cruiser Forum (at http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/exterior-accessories-forum/37625-hood-flames-2.html#post453192 )

[​IMG]

Hood Flames? - Page 2 - PT Cruiser Forum (at http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/exterior-accessories-forum/37625-hood-flames-2.html#post453403 )

And I wonder where they moved the washer nozzles to on the raised flame hood? You would have to do a mod like Todd did on his 'vert and put them on the cowl covers.

#11 06PTElectricBlue, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  12. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

I like the large doors for easy entry and exit..and the hight seat hieght.

13. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Yeah, I told my wife she'd miss the getting in and out of my GT, but we had to sell it to pay medical bills. Still got bills and no GT. What a loss. I miss my GT. Getting in and out of the Forte is tough for her. I have a buddy that is willing to give me a Saturn SC Coupe, but I don't want it because of how low it sits. My wife would probably never be able to get out of it if she got in. She has had 9 back surgeries, has severe arthritis and bad knees. Oh, and just had her right shoulder replaced 9 days ago. She's falling apart!

14. Henrydcc

Henrydcc Active Member

I like how it feels on the road and the torque, I also like it when I open the hood to feel the fresh air. PT Cruiser 2007 Turbo Convertible.

Attached Files:

15. 421 SD Poncho

421 SD Poncho Active Member

Here's a sample of the ad that they were using in the CRUISER QUARTERLY magazine around 13/14 years ago.

I've seen several up close and personal and the craftsman ship was excellent. They really stood out n the crowd if airbrushed flame colors were added to the hoods raised flames.

These were fiberglass skins that were adhered to a stock fiberglass hood.

Shortly after this ad ran, they added the front fender raised flames and covers for the front rear view mirrors to their product line.

I don't recall what their cost was.

Like everything else PT aftermarket related, they haven't been available for a LONG time. Very hard to come by today.

FLAMED HOOD    8-4-20 - Copy - Copy.jpg

Jerry

16. 06PTElectricBlue

I knew you would have some info on it :cool:

421 SD Poncho likes this.