Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mom's 2012 Journey runs bad

Discussion in 'Dodge Journey' started by Tori G., May 9, 2015.

1. Tori G.

Tori G. Member

My mom's 2012 Dodge Journey runs bad and does show a code,a PO302 misfire code.Did the simple checks and knew to do this.Did a compression test on this cylinder,It is a little low than spec.The plug looks good.It has 67,000 miles on it.My mom bought this new 3 years ago and she likes it.I know it still has a warranty,bought it new August of 2012.I told her take it back to the dealer,still under warranty.What can it be since the plug looks good?Checked for vacuum leaks too,none.

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Which engine? V6 or 4? Check Engine Light on? I agree if still under warranty take it to the dealer for diagnosis.

3. Tori G.

Tori G. Member

the 3.6 V6 and with the check engine light on with the PO302 code which is a misfire.

4. paullybob

paullybob Well-Known Member

Coil pack perhaps but at 67k miles, I'd yank those plugs anyway and start fresh. Dealer trip wouldn't hurt either since the code is there and it has warranty still.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

A misfire could be a spark, fuel or mechanical issue. You already know that cylinder compression is a little lower. A cylinder leakdown test will tell you where the compression is leaking out. It does sound mechanical.
    A leaking valve, valve seat or piston rings will generally show up more at idle and lower engine speeds. Valve leaks generally won't get better with a 'wet' test.
    I would leave the P0302 code in the computer and get the car over to your dealer.
    http://www.sequentialtaillights.com/dodge/SB_PDF/TSB_LC_0900214.pdf

6. Tori G.

Tori G. Member

I did not clear the code.I talked to friend of mine that works at a Chrysler dealership,said the cylinder head might be bad with a burned up valve.He has seen this twice causing the misfire with the 3.6.

7. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

I concur as this was one of the early models of that engine to be changed with the L/S cyl head re-design.

8. Tori G.

Tori G. Member

It was checked out on Monday and going to be done under warranty.Has a bad cylinder head and both are getting replaced.Found the compression was borderline on one cylinder in the other head

PCRMike likes this.
  9. Tori G.

Tori G. Member

My mom is happy now and runs good now.Installed the revised heads too

10. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Glad to hear it is fixed.

11. Tori G.

Tori G. Member

They did find burned out valves in the old cylinder heads and I seen it.Were not repairable