AF: My mopar project | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mopar project

Discussion in 'Projects, mods, restoration' started by Panterasr9, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

So this is the beginning of my newest project. Starting with a 318 out of a 1998 Dodge ram. Doing all the disassembly then off to the machine shop where it will be getting high compression pistons and a large camshaft along with new heads. I am talking with the engine builder to decide the exact specs. Anyways heres the status now.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  2. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

So pictures in order from start to finish. It is at the machine shop now waiting to be built. As some of you may know the body for this project is to be determined, but the goal is a 13 something second mopar and weekend cruiser. I will be updating as I go !

Attached Files:

3. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

Awesome .. are you going to stoke it... I sure would if taking it apart. Owned 4 318s in my day, love em.. Keep posting them pics eh!

4. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

Alright update found a body for the engine going to pick it up next weekend will definitely post some pictures but for now here is a screenshot
    of the body I found.

5. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

1988 Dakota v6 this is what the 318 will be going in !

Attached Files:

6. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Just so you know, it is going to be a very tight fit putting the 318 in an '88, so think about electric fans for cooling instead of water pump driven fan. Otherwise, nice looking Dakota.

Shane Estabrooks and Panterasr9 like this.
  7. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

Good info and thank you for the heads up!

8. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Welcome. They eloquently made the front nose a few inches longer when they started putting V8s under the hood of the first generation Dakota. It is almost imperceptible, but they did to allow the extra two cylinder room. I didn't know it until someone else mentioned it.

9. valiant67

valiant67 ...

For 1989, there was a V8 put in the flat nosed Dodge Dakota. This was done as the Shelby Dakota and it used electric fans.
    In 1991 the Dakota nose was extended. The fenders stayed the same, but the grill bowed out and the radiator moved forward. If you put them side by side, you'll notice it was a several inch extension in front length.
    Schumacher Creative Services made brackets to put the V8 in the early trucks, but I think they are now discontinued so you'll probably have to fabricate.

Panterasr9 and Bearhawke like this.
  10. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

Update on my truck. It has all the chrome and steps taken off now this is how it looked before I started sanding and took the chrome off. I also did a little bit of bondo on some rusty fenders really enjoyed it haha. Primer pics are next. The truck is completely sanded now and ready for primer. Making really good progress so far on the weekends. Next step is the bed coming off to sand and paint behind the cab. Should be completely painted by the end of next weekend! Anyways more pics coming this weekend to show progress. Engine is at the machine shop still he said 2 more weeks. Anyway check it out any advise or opinion is welcome. Ok Mopar family talk to y'all later.

Attached Files:

#10 Panterasr9, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  11. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

Do any of you have a suggestion for what transmission to run on this 318 project truck? Computer controlled is out. I found out the factory transmission in this truck is burned up so I need something new to put in it. 727? I'm not sure what route to go. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

12. valiant67

valiant67 ...

You have a choices:

If you want a regular automatic, a 727 or 904 will work. You'd probably want to find a 1987 V6 Dakota in a junkyard to provide the proper transmission mount cross member.

If you want to run an overdrive, you can use either an A500/42RH or A518/46RH. As long as the transmission is from a 1995 or earlier truck the only computer functions are the lockup solenoid and the shift to 4th (overdrive). The shifts between 1-2-3 are hydraulically controlled like the regular 904/727. Some people just use toggle switches to control overdrive and lockup, but there are automated setups out there. These transmissions bolt to the existing cross memebr in your truck.

Avoid the more common 1996+ transmissions 42RE/44RE/46RE as electronics control all the shifts on these.

Panterasr9 likes this.
  13. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

Nice that is great info! I have heard great things about the 727 I will talk to my builder about it.

14. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

15. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

16. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

All right update time, all bondo and primer done here is the result. Engine is still at the machine shop but making progress all the same.

chuzz and Shane Estabrooks like this.
  17. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

Engine builder is yanking my chain quoting me 1k more than what he offered initially and for less work. Going to have to go another direction. I may just buy a 360 magnum put a cam, air gap manifold and carburetor on it and call it a day.