AF: My new Dakota | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new Dakota

Discussion in 'Dakota, 1998-2013 Durango and Aspen' started by Panterasr9, May 30, 2019.

1. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

I checked today no trans cooler going to add one to it later this year those help so much the with the longevity. I dont tow anything but with the extra power and Texas heat I am sure it could use one.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  2. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

Wanted to update and name drop.
    Nick the owner of Airram performance spent an hour talking with me today. He is the 4.7 guru! If yall need any 4.7 parts he should be the first stop! With that said my next mod for this 4.7 dakota I own is going to be 4.56 gears. He said it is the best mod for the money. He also told me that the y pipe is the most restrictive part of the engine and replacing it sees large gains.
    So after that 2008+ 4.7 camshafts will be going in. I am on my way to making this a Chevy and Ford eater! Stay tuned I will have pictures and results in this thread soon.

3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I had a 2008 Dakota with the much more powerful 4.7. When I had to put a new catalytic converter on it, they sent the assembly for a 2005-2007. My y-pipe converter assembly pipe diameter was huge compared to the earlier one.

#43 valiant67, Jun 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    DC-93 and Panterasr9 like this.
  4. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

Yes I have replaced that restrictive Y-pipe on a few trucks I've owned. Will be doing it to my current one too and would have done it sooner but this 6.4 is so awesome as it is. The 1995 Dodge Truck we had, did High flow cats, Y-pipe and flowmaster... was blown away at what it did to that 318.

Panterasr9 likes this.
  5. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

That is awesome because I planned on doing the high flow cat and y pipe on my truck as well. Cant wait to see the results!

6. valiant67

valiant67 ...

On the old 5.2 and 3.9 magnum engines, the 1992-1993 version had larger manifolds and piping, plus a "better" cam.
    The claim was the 1994+ versions had better low end torque. But my guess was the new setup was cheaper.

7. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

Well ordered my 4.10 gears today, everyone in the performance world talked me into gears said it would be the best modification I ever do to my truck.
    HO cams are getting ordered in November going to make this thing quick at dragstrip if everything comes together!

8. chcharlie

chcharlie Member

i understand this thread is about Panterasr9's Dakota, love the enthusiasm.
    i asked on another forum if anyone else recalls a news item from earlier this year that fca had refreshed the rights to the Dakota. anyone? my 99 is getting long in the tooth. didnt like boxiness of 2006+.
    mine is a baby ram!

9. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The trademark for Dakota was filed. Doesn’t mean the truck is or is not coming.

chcharlie likes this.
  10. chcharlie

chcharlie Member

darn, was hoping 4 more positive news. tnx 4 ur thots on this. at least u answered my Q about trademark. in my dotage i forgot what was filed for.
    i could wonder why fca would file this if not intending to use but remind myself that this is fca, after all.