Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Uncles 10 Foot Utility Trailer.

Discussion in 'Models - Games - Toys' started by 528-Hemi, Nov 29, 2016.

1. 528-Hemi

528-Hemi Member

Thanks Dave,
    Ohhh I am, I am! This one has my almost FULL attention as its a close relationship to my Uncle that owned the real one, that had passed away earlier this year and that time of year with family.......you know.... Which brings him close in thought as well as my Dad that I lost a few years ago on top of it. SO this one build helps with the family loss.... Seems to make it just a little easier this time of year!

Sadly, this time of year has been difficult with the loss of family specially those 2..... So a lot of times my "Family builds" of the models family members had, I'm going WILD on detail to be almost replica's of that family members build because I can, and enjoy it and that family member and the car, I myself, have a close relationship to and well... brings that loss a little less of a "loss"................ if that makes any sense, But it helps! I guess its my way of healing that way, and dealing with grieving the loss....

Thanks tho! The push and ambition gained for your "keep on going" does in fact keep me going, makes that urge to complete it that much stronger (not that it was ever weak, but thats sort of "cheering me on"!!!!!

Much appreciated!

2. 528-Hemi

528-Hemi Member

So as I said a few posts ago, to stay tuned some INTERESTING detail was about to be revealed!!!! So here it is!
    [​IMG]
    Heres those 10 foot storage tube end caps..... NICELY detailed! The ring is hand made, as well as the braided cables and the crimp tubes for the braided cables! (First time, I have EVER used necklace "crimp tubes" for what they're meant for, on a model!) -Just for security, the crimp tubes once the braided cable was looped, I CA glued the back side of the cable! Those damn things were NOT easy to make. Took damn near 4 hours to get them done! My fingers are not what they used to be (prior to my accident!)
    [​IMG]
    Bright shot! Remember that outside tube "cap" is in fact REMOVABLE! -BUT, this shot shows the braided cables nicely as well as the crimp tubes on them!
    [​IMG]
    SEE? Outside tube has a removable cap..... I WILL be finding some "detail" to put inside this tube too! -We'll see, I'm not sure what that might become!
    So there ya go on the tubes! Those are now complete, for the most part, I just have to think what I want to put inside the opening one got "looks".... The detail on this trailer are just beginning..... (A Close friend of mine calls it CDO, LOL backwards of "OCD" with my "detailing habits".... He's funny) LOL Thats OK I enjoy it.... I like to see just "How Far" I can go. to find a limitation of my own..... Having said that, I can tell you a lim,itation of my own right now........ NOT DETAILING!!!!!
    Thats it for now, more to come... Stay tuned right after these short messages! Comments always welcome ~Enjoy!

3. 528-Hemi

528-Hemi Member

So those following along, will get to see some that I've posted on different things this next detail being one of such things! When I mentioned that there was a "bald" spot on one of the cross members for an up coming detail, WELL, heres that detail!
    [​IMG]
    A (I THINK) 200 foot extension cord reel...... I remember this detail specifically on the trailer, as there was a lot of trouble with the thing! First thing, in real life my Uncle had I THINK 5 of them in the garage, and one was just laying around, NOT knowing it then, we too kit and mounted it up on the trailer just as you see here come to find the damned thing didn't work! LOL WELL that got me an extra job as I had to remove the "reel" part only hoping not to un-pressurize the spring tension for the retractable part, nicely designed equipment allows those to "work" on it when it needs it.... This just so happens to be one of those such pieces of equipment, I got it apart, to add a new "cord" to it, and not mess with the retractable mechanism, (they suck, REALLY SUCK to work on!) So with that, we got the old cord out off the reel, I THINK it was 200 feet, as it was some freakin' long cord that we took and tossed the junk onto the scrap pile was cut, burned you name it in SEVERAL locations all the way through one or the other of the 3 conductors (altho, if it were just the "Ground" it really not have mattered! So. BUT that just wasn't the case!
    So ole John, got to replace and rewind a whole spool of new stuff on it that was black! the original colored wire was Orange..... But thats OK I think the original extension cord was 14 gauge wire..... The replacement we had to have any sort of "length" too was 12 gauge. So, a little heavier wire!
    SO, the model detail reflects a lot of this, specially the color! The wire is black thread, that I gloss coated on the reel! The orange reel is machined on my Unimat to size.... The holder that it hangs from is made from multiple scraps I had, as well as this who works "swivels on that black mount on the ladder rack frame work. If you look, I have the reel "plumbed" to a gray electrical box just like the real one with a "Wet location" electrical box that was waterproof in real life and then plumbed through the steel frame work and bent to fit a lot of locations, where it enters the downward support of the ladder rack that was a slot cut into the steel tubing in real life, and then the conduit used was bent to go all the way down through the ladder rack frame, into the stack pockets of the trailer and plumbed out the boot on the stake pocket, as you'll see in updates to come.
    [​IMG]
    Up-side-down, you can see the conduit I made with other types of wire that was galvanized type stuff, for industrial use from a garage/shop my Uncle did the "Mill Wrighting" too and got some leftover stuff from the job... This is why he kept/held onto all that leftover stuff, very little to buy when he had projects of his own to do!
    [​IMG]
    As you see, I got the Extension cord end, depicted, I have yet to add a "plug" to the end of it, BUT I have to figure out HOW I am going to hang that from the ladder rack edge, and be semi-removable, "looking"........ IF NOT removable! -We'll see..... BUT, I don't want to make all that and have the end, to deal with if I need to put the "cord" through a slightly smaller hole then the plug is!
    Thats it for now! Stay tuned, MORE as I am able...... As always, comments welcome, & enjoyed -Thanks of following along!