Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

n00b from Downunder

Discussion in 'Welcome to Allpar!' started by Dakiwi, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Dakiwi

Dakiwi New Member

Hello All,

New to the boards.

Have just purchased a 1956 De Soto Diplomat 4-door (export version of 1956 Plymouth Plaza-Savoy-Belvedere).I believe a SP28 / P28-2 model. She needs a bit of work, but is a beauty.

I hope I can gain some expertise, advice and links to parts providers for my new pride and joy.

Dakiwi
    New Zealand

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  2. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Welcome to Allpar. Does your Desoto have a hemi? I have an older brother that had a 59 Fireflite two door that had (I think) a 361? He's 15 years older than me and I was 10 at the time. My Dad had a 58 Fireflite four door at the same time that had a hemi, but I don't recall which one. I do remember it was pretty fast, though.

3. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

someone from the land of plenty.... awesome. Welcome and I hope you find the info need to restore that beauty.

I have family in Christchurch... have been to new Zealand twice... wish I could live there, it is so amazing. Make sure you post us some pictures eh!

4. Dakiwi

Dakiwi New Member

Unfortunately, no Hemi. She had the original flathead six until recently. A previous owner transplanted a 70's 318 V8, auto and Valiant diff in. Fortunately he was an engineer so it was a decent job. I might build up a stoker later. For now, priority is body work!

5. Dakiwi

Dakiwi New Member

*Stroker* ... (big fingers lol)

6. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Sounds awesome!

7. dartndodge

dartndodge Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    So is your '56 a US/Canada export version Desoto or an Australian Keswick made 1956 Desoto?
    I ask, because they are different cars.
    I have no idea what Chrysler's were available in 1950s NZ, hope you can shed some light on Enzed Mopar history.

8. Dakiwi

Dakiwi New Member

Hi dartndodge,
    It is a Canadian built/export version. I believe they were exported to NZ, Australia, UK, India and South Africa.
    Only 3 were exported to New Zealand in 1956. I have the full vehicle owner history.
    However, sometime in the last 60 years the Vehicle ID / Info plate has been lost - i.e. factory codes for engine, paint etc. All I have is the vehicle serial number.

Does anyone know who I could contact to obtain original factory data for my car?