Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NASCAR NOW NEEDS A BEER SPONSOR

Discussion in 'Motorsports / Racing News' started by Fast Eddie, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

MillerCoors not renewing deal with NASCAR
    7:00 AM ET
    UPDATE: NASCAR officially is in the hunt for a new beer sponsor, as MillerCoors will not renew Coors Light's deal as the official beer of the sanctioning body.

The sides were not able to come to an agreement to renew the deal that expires on Sunday despite last-ditch efforts by NASCAR in recent weeks to salvage some form of a pact. The sides confirmed the move Friday but declined to comment further.

Coors Light sponsored the pole award winner every week. Sister brand Miller Lite is remaining in the sport with an 11-race deal with Team Penske, meaning the company -- now owned fully by Molson Coors Brewing Co. -- is not exiting NASCAR as a whole.

It will be a challenge for NASCAR to find a large-scale beer partner to replace MillerCoors, as the marketplace has changed to focus on more micro and craft brews, while consolidation has also impacted sponsorship spending.

superduckie5000 likes this.
  2. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

3. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Here's a good part of the reason,according to Brendan Marks of the "Charlotte Observer";

The problem is when that social media experience starts hurting actual interest in races. Why watch 350 laps when you can get Twitter updates at the major points? In some ways, social media is acting as a DVR for fans: alert me to the biggest and best moments so I can tune in, and everything else is white noise.

Read more here: Four ideas to keep NASCAR exciting – and make it even better – in 2018 (at http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nascar-auto-racing/thatsracin/article191886709.html#storylink=cpy )

Nascar claimed recently that they had over 26 million followers on "personal social media". Even if they are off by 50%, that's a heck of a lot of "eyeballs". I'm not a big follower of "personal social media" but from what I have seen of Nascar coverage there, the car brands that are participating are still getting plenty of exposure.

4. 71Charger_fan

71Charger_fan Active Member

I was a huge NASCAR fan until the cars just became generic. I haven't watched it in years. At one time, manufacturers had to innovate on the production line to be competitive in the series. The last cars I remember off hand that were manufactured especially to gain an advantage in NASCAR were the aero roof Monte Carlo and Gran Prix. Now that the race cars are blobs with decals on the nose, I'm not interested. I feel pretty much the same way about NHRA Pro Stock and Funny Car. At least at one time, the fiberglass funny car bodies at least had enough production styling cues you could tell what it was supposed to be without any decals or lettering.

multimopes, Ernesto, DC-93 and 4 others like this.
  5. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

And all those “eyeballs” are not seeing the millions of dollars being spent by businesses on advertising on TV during a NASCAR race. NASCAR’s TV marketing value continues to drop like a rock and the odds of it continuing to receive extremely lucrative TV deals in the future are no where near as good as they previously were.

This is the point you and others continually keep ignoring. NASCAR makes its money off TV deals. If the “eyeballs” are not watching the big dollar advertising on TV then the lucrative TV deals will eventually go away.

Mike

DC-93 and MPE426HEMI like this.
  6. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

Nothing to do with a Toyota Camry pace/race car, what a joke NASCAR has become. TV idol drivers with formula cars. Bring back stock cars and have at it.

DC-93 likes this.
  7. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Loss of revenue, decreased viewership, waning interest, competition from social media...

These are problems every single TV based racing series shares. Racing in general is waning in the public consciousness, but...

There are bright spots however. Trans Am continues to grow, continues to attract larger crowds each year, and is having problems finding pit and grid space for all of the teams and cars. Though they do seek a TV deal, they do not consider TV esssential to what they are trying got do.

Inside IMSA-GTD, GTLM, PC, and DPi are all flying high. The F1 level expensive P1 Class is dead in America, and is almost dead, and is now completely irrelevant with one only make racing in Europe. Europe/WEC is seeing similar things happening to them, as is happening in IMSA.

NHRA’s top classes are suffering, but their lower classes are flourishing.

All types of dirt racing are seeing seeing a real resurgence.

Most folks accept that F1 is well past it’s golden age, and is now on its way to Golden Estates. They’ve even talked about a “seniors” tour.

Everywhere, the upper echelons of racing are seeing big, big contraction. Conversely, interest in racing at the grass roots level is growing. Interest in lower classes (of top tier racing), is good, but how long until that fades?

If NASCAR is to survive, it must figure out what entry level racing is getting right?

8. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

As long as the France family controls NASCAR, they won't go back to "stock" cars. NASCAR hasn't used stock cars for 30 years. I don't see that changing anytime soon. And by the time they do it'll probably be too late.

9. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

The number one thing nascar can do to help themselves is to do what i day car does. Half a schedule with road and other half of oval. After that they should try to do bodies like v8 supcar and use the basic dash layout to help look like a production car. They should try to make it to where teams are truly limited and cut the amount of spending if possible to close the extreme gaps, if they can’t do that then make nascar a way to let automaker see test possible new functions like in f1.

10. Meester Beeg

Meester Beeg Active Member

Stop manipulating outcomes and things will turn around. Concentrate on racing and not trying to be like MLB; etc.

DC-93 likes this.
  11. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

The cars are just rolling ad billboards now. Advertising is everything to NASCAR. I don’t really think they need any manufacturers involvement, no more than Indycar anyways. People’s viewing interest is more based on drivers now, much like Indy.
    The true “stock car” form will never return. Not happening with NASCAR. They’re never going to reneg on any safety aspects either. The closest it will come is making that body more similar/identifiable to the street vehicle, such as NASCAR has already (I guess?) been trying to do.

12. Doug D

So now MLB manipulates the outcome of games? Oh Puleeeeezzzzzeeee! What ARE you smoking?

13. Robert J Sublett

Robert J Sublett Active Member

He has a point, knowing when cautions are coming is stupid. Go back to basics. We don't need stages, GWC's, etc. First one to complete distance is winner no matter circumstances.

14. Doug D

But it really isn't a caution. They don't display the caution at the end of the stage - it's a green/white flag indicating the end of the stage. Then the caution flag is displayed.

Just my opinion, but the stage racing has made the racing better in that all the drivers (or at least most) are trying to lead or be in the top 10 (to get stage points) rather than cruising around for 350 miles of a 400 mile race and then hitting the go button.

Blakdak71 and DC-93 like this.
  15. Robert J Sublett

All I know is that since the GWC there has been unnecessary gimmick after gimmick.

16. Doug D

I assume by GWC you mean the Green White Checker rule used if there is a caution at the advertised distance of the race. The fans wanted this - they didn't like races ending under caution (yellow flag). They preferred to see a race end under green racing conditions so NASCAR borrowed the GWC idea from another racing organization (I forget which - might have been ARCA).

Green–white–checker finish - Wikipedia (at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green%E2%80%93white%E2%80%93checker_finish )

The GWC was actually one of the better rules NASCAR instituted in the past few years.

GasAxe likes this.
  17. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

There are so many problems with Nascar today, you'd need to write a book.
    :eek:

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  18. Robert J Sublett

Followed NASCAR for 38 yrs. Went to my first race at Marty at six years old. I get your point, however, ask yourself, how many times since instituted have they used the GWC to manipulate an outcome? Think of it like this how many races per year ended under yellow before the rule as opposed to how many ends under GWC. Go back to the 15 years before the rule. I don't have the numbers but I would say 2-3 a year on avg ended under yellow. Now they use the GWC just to set up drama, it's not right.

#18 Robert J Sublett, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  19. Robert J Sublett

In my opinion the only rule they have added in the last few years I like has been double-file restarts.

20. Doug D

I don't get where you think NASCAR is "manipulating" the outcome via the GWC. If there is a wreck bringing out the caution how is NASCAR setting up drama? If NASCAR was throwing a phantom caution at towards the end of EVERY race to set up the drama, I would concede the point, but it doesn't happen at the end of EVERY race. If anything, the institution of stage racing has the drivers racing hard at the end of the stages and end of the race for any points they can get. Not a lot if give and take and when that happens there is bound to be wrecks. So, yes, there may be more GWC's now, but that's due to the driver's racing hard for any and all points they can get. Don't blame NASCAR - blame the fans. The fans wanted the drivers to race hard and not lay back for 90% of the race.