AF: NASCAR to go to center locking wheels for 2021 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NASCAR to go to center locking wheels for 2021

Discussion in 'Current Motorsports / Racing News' started by Fast Eddie, Mar 3, 2020.

1. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Yeah, saw this the other day.

What the hell are they thinking????????
    I say, keep the 5 on 5 and give them 4 way wrenches! =)

2. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

They better get them tight. The penalty for not doing so won't just be a (relatively) small fine and/or a few points.

DC-93 and Doug D like this.
  3. ChargerZ

ChargerZ Active Member

I read that the center locking nut will keep the wheel in tact and that a loose lugnut on the 5 lugnut pattern resulted in cracking of the wheel but I don't know where the person who stated that got their information.

4. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

What I've heard about them going to a single lug nut is to try to even out all of the teams on tire changing time. Obviously there are some tire changers that are faster and better at 5 lug nuts, than some other tire changers. By having a single nut, then all of the tire changes, between all of the teams, should be able to be completed in about the same amount of time.

When did Indy-style cars go to a single lug nut?

What's next to try to even out the teams? Eliminate the jack-man and go to the on-board jacking system like Indy-style cars have?

If everything in the pits is pretty much even and equal for all the teams, then the only other variable would be how good the driver is.

5. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

My guess one of the main reasons going a single style if due to safety. Less time the guys have the be over teh wall teh safer it gets. That's the main reason they got rid of the other tire carrier years ago

Tony K likes this.
  6. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I've heard rumors of this exact proposal.

7. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

How good is the driver?

Have heard that the cars drive so easy these days almost anyone could do it.
    There are a lot of tracks where you don't have to lift.

Take away downforce and let the drivers do their job, THEN we'd see who is capable.

Gerry G and Tin Man 2 like this.
  8. dartndodge

dartndodge Well-Known Member

9. Clinton H Davis

Clinton H Davis Well-Known Member

I know there are probably some advantages to the single lug nut thing, but here is where the problem is:

They keep saying they are trying to make the cars more closely resemble the ones they represent in the real world. (except Toyota obviously, no one can buy a v-8 rear wheel drive Camry, anywhere)

Please tell me what car you can buy at a dealership right now that has a single lug nut? I'll wait.

That's what bothers me about it. They have made a big push to make the bodies of the different brands look like real cars instead of being exactly the same, and have been pushing that to the public for the last 2 or 3 years and now boom: single lug nut.

10. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

If its truly for safety just like purpose built tube frames etc I can live with that easily enough.

11. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Nah...they're just different......:p

Imagine how fast a pit stop would be with changing only a single lugnut and an on board jacking system. ;)