Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

navigation swap

Discussion in 'Wrangler, CJ, Wagoneer, other traditional Jeeps' started by w.ferrell, Nov 7, 2016.

1. w.ferrell

w.ferrell New Member

I have a 2012 Wrangler 2 dr sport. My buddy is upgrading his navigation radio and has offered me his factory navigation radio. Is the swap into my Jeep an easy swap? Anything special I need to do to get the "new" navigation to operate in my Jeep. The local dealer says it can not be done....that seems illogical to me. Any help would be appreciated.

2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

It's fairly easy. If you don't have sat radio, you will have to add an antenna. If you have Uconnect, you will need a jumper wire to keep it working. And another jumper wire to keep the USB port in the console working.

OEM Auto Parts Company
    Is one place that can sell you the needed parts. I did the same swap in my 2007 and 2016 Wranglers with their help.

3. w.ferrell

w.ferrell New Member

I have a satellite radio but don't use it. Will existing antenna work for the nav and radio?

4. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Yes, that satellite antenna feeds both the satellites radio and GPS so you are good there. There is a separate feed for the AM/FM antenna.

What year is the other Jeep? There are a few different compatibility ranges.

5. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work...
    Level 2 Supporter

Love that the dealer says it cannot be done. They just don't want to be on the hook if it ever doesn't work.

6. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I have heard of different CAN bus speeds in the 2012 that might cause issues. I don't know the details.

7. w.ferrell

w.ferrell New Member

Mine is a 2012, the nav is coming out of a 2013.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  8. 2012srtchallenger

Supporter

I don't know what year they started but new radios read the vin if they don't match the radio locks,might be what the dealer means,otherwise I swap navi and satellite parts all the time