Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gearhead

gearhead Well-Known Member

I've inherited an '87 Wrangler. It originally had a 2.5l engine. It's had an engine swap and now has a 6cyl.
    1- How can I tell whether the engine is a 4.2l or a 4.0l?
    There is no mechanical fuel pump boss on the block, but from what I can determine the 4.2 was available with F.I. for a couple of years and didn't have the boss in those years.
    The intake manifold looks like an OEM aluminum 2bbl manifold. Both bores are the same size. There is a circular electric heating element in the bottom of the manifold held in with 3 bolts. A Carter 2bbl for a 273/318 fits on it perfectly, It had a Motorcraft progressive 2bbl on it, but the mounting bolt holes were totally buggered to make it fit. The exhaust "manifold" is a tubular header style with round ports and looks OEM.
    Any ideas on exactly what I might have? Thanks.

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Engine #? It should be stamped into a boss on the passenger side of the engine.

3. gearhead

312MXI7
    I'm pretty sure it's at least got a 4.0 head on it since I bought a 4.0 intake/exhaust gasket for it today and it fits.
    This is the other one of the unfinished father/son projects that I've decided to complete, but this one doesn't need any bodywork. LOL!

4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

5. gearhead

I'm almost positive it's a mongrel. LOL! I have noticed on a couple of Jeep forums I've browsed that the 4.0 swap for pre '90 Jeeps is relatively common, and that it usually involves using the 4.2l intake manifold. I think by now I'm pretty certain I've got a 4.0 (and not a 4.2 with a 4.0 head on it, which is also a popular "upgrade") since there's no provision for a mechanical fuel pump on the block.