Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neon caught going 146 mph

Discussion in 'Neon' started by Glenn81, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

"Stupid is as stupid does."

If one has the need for excessive speed, that's why they build race tracks.

wolfsblood07 and Bob Lincoln like this.
  2. edlin

edlin New Member

its a good thing he got stopped,might not of seen his 19th birthday,146 in a neon,

Bob Lincoln and Doug D like this.
  3. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

He must not have been trying as the top speed of a NSRT 4 is at least 153 mph

Thanks
    Randy

awyseguy likes this.
  4. Doug D

It should be noted it wasn't just any old Neon, it was a SRT-4 Neon.

I did something like that once when I was young and dumb. Long story short I found myself over 100 mph on a motorcycle ('82 Kawaski KZ550). Fortunately I did not get caught and I never did it again.

5. John Wood

John Wood Well-Known Member

I was a passenger in a Chevy Blazer several years ago and the dude driving was showing me how the computer in his vehicle shuts the engine down at 115 MPH. Apparently Chrysler cars don't do that.

I was actually pretty uncomfortable going that fast. The stopping distance is quite long and just a fraction of an inch movement of the steering wheel moves the vehicle off the center of the road quickly. At 146 MPH, I hope they pulled the guys license.

6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

They CAN do that. The SRTs do NOT do it. All the others do.

New and with premium gas and “certain conditions,” e.g. no headwind, flat road, etc. And there’s slop in the radar and laser readings (not much in the latter as I vaguely recall). In fact, he could have been going anywhere from 130 to, I guess, 153... if it was radar.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  7. edlin

edlin New Member

doud d I was a passenger in the early 80s on a kz1000 when my friend opened it up,i was so scared,well over 120,but a little neon at that speed,

8. Doug D

Actually, most Chrysler vehicles (modern ones, anyway) do have a speed limiter. It's usually based on the tire rating of the OEM tires. I think my Ram has a limit of 115 mph or so. I haven't been that fast in it so I can't confirm that. Fastest I've had it was about 80.

edlin - The scariest bike I remember was the old Kawasaki 750 triple (2 stroke). I watched a friend pop a wheelie with one with a passenger on the back. My former roommate had a Kawasaki Z-1 (900cc). Both of those bikes were scary fast.

In VA speeds above 80 mph or 20 mph over the posted limit bring an additional wreckless driving charge which can bring mandatory jail time and possible suspension.

Dave Z likes this.
  9. edlin

edlin New Member

getting caught racing is a bad charge too,i got caught when I was younger,i was losing too,cop asked me why I stopped I said because you turn your lights on,he said that's why your not going to jail and able to keep your car,on a country road no cars around,but chp ,paid on that fine for years,i have a 09 crown vic x highway patrol car,has a rev limiter set at 140,

10. Doug D

Yeah, racing on the street is not smart. 30 years ago when I lived in Denver, the law enforcement worked with Bandimere Speedway (home of the Mile-Hi Nationals) to promote Friday Night Grudge Night to get the racing off the streets. Basically you paid a $10 fee, they safety checked your vehicle and you could race any one you wanted to all night. They had emergency vehicles on hand just in case. It did cut down on street racing, but some of the fools still did it.

Dave Z likes this.
  11. awyseguy

awyseguy Well-Known Member

MY old KZ550 would get a high speed wobble at about 110MPH. But I used to drive my Furys and especially my RoadRunner fast Furys 130-140.. RoadRunner 160+ MPH. I know, I know.. I shouldn't even be here by now.

12. awyseguy

awyseguy Well-Known Member

13. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Yeah, that KZ750 2 stroke was a MONSTER of a bike. Brother in law had one, used to take him 2 minutes to get to work from five minutes away.

Yes, the SRT-4 was always one of the fastest FWD little turbo cars on the street, kind of proved it, but a person has to have a little bit of sense to them so as not to do harm to themselves or others. I do have to say I am a little impressed.

14. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Although, -------- looking at this in a different light, it could be considered 'defensive driving'. There is an almost zero chance that he would get rear ended by a Tokyota or Honduh driver while they were texting.

Doug D and dana44 like this.
  15. AvengerGuy

AvengerGuy Active Member

As an enthusiast that knows more than a little bit about lots of cars over the years, I'm more than a little bit shocked when reading the comments on the newspaper's site where most commenters are completely unaware that Mopar offered a seriously hot and affordable, hi-po factory Neon sedan for several years. Or, if they did know about the SRT/4, they apparently had no clue how high the top end is. Really thankful the young offender didn't wreck and kill himself and/or someone else. And, although smaller and a 4-door sedan, the Neon SRT/4 was something of a latter-day RoadRunner. A really awesome car! Back 5-10 years ago, I was acquainted with someone who had one. He spoke of getting quite a few tickets, but he really loved the car. There's times I think I'd still like to find a nice unmolested SRT/4, but all the ones I find on CraigsList are heavily modded, both internally and in appearance.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  16. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

Neon SRT-4 were one MOPAR that I have never seen price discounted or with rebates.

The civilian ACR Neons were speed limitd to 130 MPH but I believe the original 1995's were not.

Finding a nice clean non hacked up NSRT-4 can be a challenge for sure!!!

Make mine with the rear wing delete please.!!!

Thanks
    Randy

17. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

When I ran my 70 roadrunner 383..over 100 I could tell it started feeling light in back, I guess thats why they put those huge wings on the superbird. But a Full size Fury felt rock solid at high speeds.

18. Doug D

Since you brought it up:

The Real Reason the Dodge Charger Daytona's Wing Was So Huge

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/the-superbird-wing-was-not-idiotically-ineffective-or-1704941408

Simply, put the big wing stabilized the back end while the front nose cone gave the front end the much needed down force. The Superbird and Daytona Charger were specifically designed for NASCAR tracks. Too bad NASCAR banned them after a year (the Winged cars dominated the series).

19. paullybob

paullybob Well-Known Member

The Neon SRT-4 (NSRT) was a fantastic car. I had mine and first thing I did was find a nice straight stretch on a clear piece of high way and dropped the hammer.......154 mph is when the speed limiter cuts in! Shortly after that, I bought the Stage 3R package with the toys like Dial-a-Boost, intercooler sprayers and the like. Bad move for me, the car was a beast...I mean totally insane. You had a very difficult time launching unless you dialed the boost down to 1 and had great street tires. Never tracked the car but I should have...man I miss that little car. Oh, the point to this story was the speed limiter yes, now I remember, lol!!

somber likes this.