Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neon Green foam leaking from my undercarriage (14 Dart GT)

Discussion in 'Dodge Dart / Viaggio' started by Jared, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Jared

Level 2 Supporter

Changing my oil yesterday and I brain farted:

I loosened a bolt next to my oil filter and neon green foam started spewing out along with a hissing sound... yikes! (I had forgotten the oil plug has it's own hatch on the belly pan).

I quickly re-tightened it, but the the foam continued to leak and hiss, albeit slowly.

At first I thought it was the drain plug for the cooling system, but coolant in the Dart is purple. I peered through the opening in the belly pan and it looked like the plug was to the A/C compressor.

So, my concern is despite re-tightening the foam continues to leak and foam.

What should I do?

2. peterjon1

peterjon1 Well-Known Member

Sounds like your refrigerant is leaking. Probably an o ring seal is now damaged, and you will have to get it replaced, and the system recharged.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  3. Jared

Level 2 Supporter

Yeeeeeeeeuuuup. That's what I feared. Hopefully I can avoid doing it at the dealer. I suppose I could do it myself, but...

4. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

If you can't stop the leak from tightening the bolt, it's likely a damaged O-ring as mentioned, and that means opening the system. If you do it just for a few minutes, you might get away without changing the drier canister (assuming you don't wait a week or so with the leak, and let a significant amount of air in). But either way, you'll have to evacuate the system with a vacuum pump, probably add a tiny bit of the proper PAG oil back (maybe less than an ounce), and then recharge to the proper amount. Unless you are experienced at this, have a good gauge set, I would NOT do it. Especially on a fairly new car.

ka9yhd, PCRMike and Doug D like this.
  5. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

Yepper, as Bob Lincoln says, if you don't have the proper tools and equipment to do it right, take it to the dealer. Chalk it it up as a learning experience not to do again and pay attention, as we are are all getting older! LOL.

ka9yhd and Dave Z like this.
  6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

... should he be getting a new filter/dryer too?

7. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

If the system is opened to air for any long period, I would replace it. Not sure what the factory specs are on the new AC Freon setups with R134 today.

8. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

I would take it in and tell them to fix it under warranty.

9. hotan80min

hotan80min Active Member

I know the assumption would be that the system is R134 but didn't Chrysler start switching vehicles to the new 1234yf in 2014? and was the Dart one of them?
    Either way its probably best to get someone with the proper equipment to deal with the leak sooner rather than later.

10. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

?

11. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

This IS a 2014, right? Is it obvious that it was messed with? You do have a 36K mile bumper to bumper.

12. paullybob

paullybob Well-Known Member

I know for certain the 2016 Dart is indeed a R1234YF car and please, PLEASE OP do not stuff some wannabe A/C refill in there....you messed up, bite the bullet and get it done right. Lesson learned!

ka9yhd likes this.
  13. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Active Member

A warranty will not cover something he did to the vehicle. The AC system will need to be evacuated and recharged properly after replacing the O ring.

Sorry but something like this happening boggles my mind that someone does not look at what they are un bolting..... The oil drain is usually at the lowest point on the engine which is in the oil pan.

14. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Active Member

Talking with a friend the other day who is a mechanic and Chrysler did not start applying the switch to the newer refrigerant until 2016 or 2017 model year. So you should still have R134 in 2014.

15. runfromcheney

runfromcheney Member

Sounds like you loosened a bolt on your A/C system and your refrigerant leaked out. You might of damaged the o-ring, or overtightened/stripped the bolt/nut since you said you still heard hissing after you tightened it.

2014 was a changeover year for the Dart in terms of refrigerant, the service manual lists both a capacity for both R134a and R1234yf. You can know what type your car has by looking at the refrigerant capacity decal under your hood. But don't try to fix this yourself, take it to the dealer and have them fix it. 1234yf can only be removed/charged using a special machine only the dealer has and I don't even think a layman can get the refrigerant itself over the counter yet. Be warned though, 1234yf is very expensive.