AF: Neon returning as stopgap? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neon returning as stopgap?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by AdminDave, Dec 19, 2016.

1. AdminDave

Staff Member

James A likes this.
  2. npaladin2000

npaladin2000 LOAD "*",8,1

It could definitely work if they make the right decisions. Question is, do you use the name "Neon," which has a relatively positive history here, or "Chrysler 100," which is a new name?

Could make a nice commuter/highway car with ther 1.4L turbo and a PROPERLY tuned 9-speed automatic. Plus a nice uConnect.

JayhawkOne likes this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Please, no 1.4T engine.

XRT2SRT, Moparian, Mopartial and 9 others like this.
  4. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Makes sense, everyone else is leveraging a global car in this class... not a NA specific.

5. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Well-Known Member

Since its a rebadged Fiat Tipo, used as a stop gap measure until the "Chrysler 100" comes along, I'd think it would be a mistake to name it the "Chrysler 100". If its a failure it will saddle the upcoming "100" with a bad reputation.

I don't know, seems like the Dart had more invested in it and it didn't sell. Why would a vehicle with less developed and invested in, do better than the Dart? Just because they name it Neon?

6. Rick Anderson

What's up with the 1.4T engine? Doesn't perform well? Too expensive for a entry level class vehicle? Too unreliable?

jerseyjoe likes this.
  7. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Pretty much all of the above. It's adequate in a car the size of the 500, overworked in the Dart and 500L. A search of the problem areas for Darts tends to show the 1.4t pops up a lot as an issue. And it's a premium fuel engine or performance and economy drop off. Cost of a tune up (primarily just spark plugs) was a big factor though costs of the plugs have come down - and, unless it's changed, they are 30k mile plugs.

8. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Most people consider it unreliable due to early issues with the clutch and some turbos needing replacement, and because it has turbo lag, they think it's slow. I quite enjoyed my Dart. Then again, it was a stick.

If you can find a non diesel turbo that doesn't recommend higher octane fuel, I will be impressed. It's not a requirement. That said, you're right about the plugs, they were a bit much for a low cost entry vehicle owner to have to eat the cost of.

Also, did the new 4-banger engines hit a snag or something? They should (IMO) have been out by now.

#8 suzq044, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    dmcdonald and UN4GTBL like this.
  9. Rick Anderson

The plugs themselves are very expensive, or the labor to do a plug replacement since the plugs are buried under other equipment is what raises the cost?

I helped a friend change plugs on a Ford Explorer V-6, we had to remove the upper plenum of the intake manifold to get access to half the plugs. Easier than I would imagine, so they do some engineering to improve the situation, but still, it shouldn't be that hard to change the plugs.

jerseyjoe likes this.
  10. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Cost of the plugs plus the labor. I think the cost of plugs has dropped.

I know most turbos require premium fuel. That's why as an entry level car, a turbo motor isn't the best choice.

jerseyjoe likes this.
  11. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Agreed... and no DCT. The 1.4 will be phased out anyway but just don't bother using it here.

Oh and it needs to be a Chrysler, not a Dodge.

Mike

12. Andraz3d

Andraz3d Active Member

in europe, this engine is considered quite bullet proof. Just saying.

Prabhjot and TripleT like this.
  13. Mike V.

I prefer they not use the name Neon.

Mike

XRT2SRT and somber like this.
  14. Mike V.

Unfortunately the engine did not do well in the US when placed in heavier vehicles like the Dart.

Mike

somber, jerseyjoe and valiant67 like this.
  15. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

The 1.4 was not well tuned for NAFTA, they could have 10 HP less and more torque at lower rpm.

They can use any engine - transaxle combination that can be used in the Small family of architecture. In the Ram Promaster City they use the 2.4 + 9 speed automatic. If they built it at Tofas plant the logistic, tools, ... for 2.4 engine/9 speed automatic are already in place.

Max Wedge and Prabhjot like this.
  16. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

Looking forward to having a mid-size sedan to show to clients! Since incentives have been removed, a new 200 LX (base) is just shy of $30k CAD, and a Dart SE (base) is just shy of $20k CAD. One of these has power windows, door locks, mirrors, keyless entry, air conditioning, and a 9 speed automatic transmission. The other is $10k less.

Robert Johnson and UN4GTBL like this.
  17. npaladin2000

npaladin2000 LOAD "*",8,1

The nice part is the 2.4L/9-speed auto is already ubiquitous. The downside is that it doesn't get great FE, and the 9 speed has aquired an iffy reputation. At least with the small turbo, it could be re-tuned to generate more low-end torque.

18. Mike V.

This won't be a midsize, it will be a compact.

Mike

19. jam1

jam1 Well-Known Member

Wonderful news! Also, many dittos on it being a Chrysler. FCA, please be careful with this one...... critical part of the line up!!

20. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

In that case, we still don't have a mid-size sedan!

Zagnut27 likes this.