AF: Neon returning as stopgap? | Page 50 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neon returning as stopgap?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by AdminDave, Dec 19, 2016.

1. grungerockjeeper

grungerockjeeper Well-Known Member

They do when Chrysler is actually unabashedly being itself, like it was with the 300C. Its still thought of as a near luxury car. If you have one and drive for Uber/Lyft, its a notch above the usual cammacord dreck that most of them use and you can charge a premium.

Archknight, Ryan and GasAxe like this.
  2. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level 2 Supporter

Maybe. I still think that Joe Average's view of Fiat is less than desireable and knows diddly about any reliability awards.

I wouldn't buy a 500 because I think it is an ugly vehicle. I looked at a 124 and would be interested in one but not at the price they're going for. Not even counting the $2000 dealer markup they had added.

3. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

exactly... the biggest issue with 500 is its simply to small for Americans who don't have to park in tight city centers, it just for people who want something cute... that is much smaller demographic and the Boutique launch debacle they are correcting.

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

To me, the Mini is also a boutique car, although it is more firmly established and may have better recognition than the 500. The 500 has convertible and wagon versions like the Mini does. The 500 Abarth is for the sporting-types like the Mini Cooper-S drivers.
    I saw a couple of ladies at the marina having a blast in their 500 with the top down and wearing their fancy hats. It was an attractive car with a pastel green finish and tan top/interior. For them, it looked like the perfect car for the occasion.
    Boutique or 'cute' cars have a niche also. Some may still only see it as a commuter car, but it can have a 'fun factor' as well.
    My mom's old Fiat 128 was fun in high school. It fit 4 of us, was good on gas and it was like driving a go-cart.

Deckard_Cain and Mike V. like this.
  5. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Remember the Mini is quite larger than a 500, and hit the market at just the right time. FCA tried to copy that but missed the window. But I from the start thought it was a mistake not to just leverage the existing dealer network even if it was selective like SRT.

6. Ian

Ian Car Freak

And Mini's reliability has not been that great!!! People will badmouth Fiat's reliability and quality while the competitor is not that great. I'd certainly buy a 500 before a Mini if I was in that market.

suzq044 likes this.
  7. Archknight

Archknight Well-Known Member

Next-Generation Fiat 500 Could Get Four-Door Version Named 600

Maybe the addition of this new model is why Chrysler is abandoning the numeric naming scheme and they are looking to expand their appeal since the 500L never actually caught on.

This could also allow the Tipo/Neon to move slightly upmarket, so that they can align with others in the compact segment. With the 200 and Pacifica's interior as a guideline, I would hope that they just shrink it down and revamp it for a a sportier feel.

#987 Archknight, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    freshforged likes this.
  8. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

This is exactly what most people do not understand about the 500 and active enthusiast group that owns them.

Mike

KrisW and ImperialCrown like this.
  9. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

That's a speculative opinion piece about the future of the 500. The car is supposed to be on the market at least untill 2019 and there's still no decision in replacing the Punto with a subcompact car.

10. Robert Johnson

"People" badmouth BOTH brands because they BOTH have toilet circling quality..........

I would not touch either one despite one "quality" award.

11. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Well-Known Member

The mini has a retro appeal, the 500 does not. The mini's styling appeals to me, but I wouldn't buy a mini simply because of the size, so a 500 is out also.

Not bad mouthing the 500, simply saying it doesn't appeal to me at all, in styling and size. From what little I know, meaning I don't know the answer, but it appears to me those are the reason the 500 isn't taking off.

12. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

HUH? put a new mini and old mini side by side and old 500 and a new 500 and again tell me how Mini has retro appeal and the 500 does not.

AlfaCuda, tlc and suzq044 like this.
  13. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

The 500 has retro appeal, just not in the US.

[​IMG]

Compared to mini..
    [​IMG]

somber and TripleT like this.
  14. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

yeah driven one on the right for a morning quite fun. But I did have new enough that I did not have to double clutch. Around the hills near Florence. The New definitely has a retro flavor IMHO way more than the Mini.

AlfaCuda and suzq044 like this.
  15. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Whats interesting is how much bigger both are and giant in new mini is... it is B segment car for goodness sake.... and why it is more appealing to Americans.... looks small be actually isn't

AlfaCuda and suzq044 like this.
  16. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

When the outside keeps growing but because of safety regs, the inside stays the same.. sort of. Lol

17. Ian

Ian Car Freak

Not as many people badmouth the Mini as much as they badmouth Fiat. I probably wouldn't buy either one of them either but if I was looking for a tiny car like that, I would buy a Fiat.

Robert Johnson and freshforged like this.
  18. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Well-Known Member

Hahaha, (laughing at myself), but that sorta shows the problem, I had no idea the 500 was a retro version of a previous Fiat. I doubt I'm the only one that never made that connection. Again part of the problem, other people have mentioned before, Fiat has a steep hill to climb in the U.S. market. I'd totally acknowledge its ignorance, the new Fiat is not the same that left U.S. shores 3 decades ago because of poor reliability and quality. But also because of that, no one knows anything about Fiat here either.

GasAxe and Robert Johnson like this.
  19. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Come on I thought every on everyone saw the movie Car by Pixar and knew the little car that sold tires was a old 500 :D

UN4GTBL, suzq044, tlc and 1 other person like this.
  20. npaladin2000

npaladin2000 LOAD "*",8,1

Well, clearly that bit of product placement didn't work out so well. ;)

In hindsight, kids don't have money for cars, and parents taking their kids to movies generally want something bigger...