AF: Neon returning as stopgap? | Page 51 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neon returning as stopgap?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by AdminDave, Dec 19, 2016.

1. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

valiant67 likes this.
  2. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Well-Known Member

Hahaha, OMG, you're right I never realized that till now. And when I saw cars, which I believe was before Fiat bought Chrysler and formed FCA, I'm pretty sure I said to myself, Oh that must be some little Italian car that was crappy, it should be farting oil out the exhaust pipe to be more accurate. lol

Its not fair, but that is the image and reputation that Fiat has to climb a hill against a stiff breeze to overcome in the U.S.

suzq044 likes this.
  3. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

They are exceptionally nice and not really that limited. They can be found on the used market also.

Mike

4. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

This is newer 500 vs. "Nuova 500" (1957) size. It is a Fiat 500 Ron Arad Edition that was in the market, if I am not wrong, about 2 years ago.
    [​IMG]

Here part of Ron Arad's exhibition "In Reverse".
    [​IMG]

#1004 MJAB, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    somber, freshforged and Dave Z like this.
  5. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Kids can't buy movie tickets either

6. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

I have to admit until I started traveling to Europe and specifically.... I had no idea why on gods earth you would ever need a A class vehicle. Then you go to these small city centers that you cannot even fit a C segment aside park it.

And lets be honest many of these Eu cars didn't come to America as a practical matter until the 70s fuel crisis, and while yeah quality wasn't great but either were the hastily developed Big 3 autos either.

7. Rick Anderson

I've said it myself, the few U.S. cities to exist before the automobile were under developed at the time. And most didn't even start till after the introduction of the automobile. So the U.S. is better laid out for automobiles. Meanwhile, Europe has 1000 year old cities that were overdeveloped and crowded before the invention of the automobile. Their infrastructure only has room for ox carts.

There are other reasons, taxes, regs and government policy, government energy policy and taxes on fuel and refining that makes fuel more expensive, etc

But honestly, in many places in Europe, if you buy a car as big as a U.S. Car, it will simply be impractically large and unable to fit in the city, and smaller cars are in demand.

TripleT, suzq044 and npaladin2000 like this.
  8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

1) Pixar actually skipped product placement for Cars 1.
    2) The 500 is large inside - in the front.

Ian and suzq044 like this.
  9. Rick Anderson

Well kids did watch DVD's of it again and again. My kids did at least. I don't think kids put the car model together with the character, and did make a for a better movie to choose all sorts of classic cars to fit a character instead of a current car for product placement. The center and star of the show was a 50's Corvette.

The 500 being a comical bit player side character did little to improve the product placement, nor hurt it I'm sure.

My daughters favorite character was always Manard, and we don't see any demand by teenagers for rusty old tow trucks, so I don't think product placement really carried over.

10. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

There is similarities in the characters enough to tell you what it's supposed to be, but they're not exactly badged with a giant logo, like what product placement tends to be. The cars were representative of the characters. Redneck stereotype: rusty old truck; Hispanic syereotype: lowrider Impala; stoner stereotype: VW bus; military stereotype: Willy's Jeep...etc
    [​IMG]

That said, I'm pretty sure that the main character is supposed to be your generic NASCAR body.
    [​IMG]
    Looking forward to the next movie too. Am car nerd will watch car movies.

#1010 suzq044, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    somber and UN4GTBL like this.
  11. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

in 1990 a upstart animator came to Purdue to give a presentation to mostly a empty theater showing of his shorts and Comercial work in the field of computer animation. Had I had a Chrystal ball I would have stayed after and asked that man for a Job. It was John Lassiter

MJAB, KrisW and suzq044 like this.
  12. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Japan (especially Okinawa) is like that as well. I drive a Nissan March (a size down from the Versa), and it is the perfect size. I can drive and park it pretty much anywhere I want. The family car is a Toyota Ipsum (a tall wagon, not a crossover, about the exterior size of a Dart), and it can be a pain to drive if I get off of the main roads, and parking can be a nightmare. I generally try to park away from other cars, not because it is that nice (it is almost 20 years old), but because it is easier to park, and, unless the parking lot fills up, easier to get out of the parking spot.

13. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Nissan March is sold globally as the Nissan Micra, and is a popular car in Europe too.

@TripleT - I think we've taken the same driving tour in Florence...

But Rick has a good point - a lot of the appeal of the 500 is nostalgic, and if a lot of Americans have no idea that the old car existed, it's hard to see the point of the new one, especially when its size is so much at odds with the built environment.

page2171 and TripleT like this.
  14. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

"Cars" was made well before FCA existed - during the DaimlerChrysler era. I believe it was in 2005 the movie debuted.

Only us old farts would remember Fiat of old. I only ever saw a few and the few I saw always seem to have problems- hence the slogan Fix It Again Tony.

15. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

There was a time that Fiat was the third biggest auto group in the world and they were above the germans in everything. This was in the 60s/70s. Then they entered in a prolonged decline.

Anyway, the Neon is selling well in Mexico! It's much easier for it to have a competitive price and since the dollar is strong right now and the turkish lyra is devalued it makes sense to try to bring it to the US. Unless Trump threatens to put a tariff on it as he did to GM and Toyota. I'm afraid that this may derail the chance of you guys getting a new compact sedan in the US. Maybe he won't notice this since the car comes from Turkey and not Mexico... :D

Marchionne won't build a new compact in the US, Trump threatens tariffs in sedans from abroad. This may ditacte the end of a compact car from Chrysler/Dodge for the next four years.

#1015 Deckard_Cain, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  16. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The local Fiat dealer had an original 500 on the sales floor when they opened the Studio.
    It was there for quite some time, still around to sit beside the 1957 commemorative editions.

17. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Trump is no more a King then the last want to be King.... he may want tariffs but will have to go through congress and there are enough free trade congressman on both sides that he may not get what he wants..... be careful with Ford thing they are pandering, the 1.7 billion in Mexico couldn't be justified with the margin dropping out of the sedan margins anymore than making them here. So they shifted the plan to existing capacity the Focus is still moving. But if he does get his way the small domestic sedan will die in the US especially if he figures out how many GM cars come to America in short fiber boxes and transfer center into Ropaks.

18. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Mine is a little different than the average March/Micra. It is a Bolero edition, only sold in Japan.

[​IMG]

19. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Otherwise known as a "Lancia oh really, yeah?"

Lancia Aurelia GT : https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/Lancia_Aurelia_GT_B20.jpg

It was probably bought by the dealership, or borrowed from a local owner. I know of a couple of classic car owners who've managed to get a local dealership to garage their pride and joy in a nice dry showroom while they're not using it - one was a mechanic at the dealership, but another was just an acquaintance of the principal.

20. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I think they said they had it on consignment, for sale - but still belonged to the owner and not the dealership (as a normal used car would).