AF: Neon returning as stopgap? | Page 52 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neon returning as stopgap?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by AdminDave, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I think targeted consumers of the new Fiat 500 were in two camps...

Those that recall the original and went for the nostalgia.
    Those that don't know anything about the original and bought into the marketing as a unique and fun little city car with Italian flair.

Body it as an updated Chrysler Java (ie; more wagon-like) and perhaps it would have done better.
    Brand/body the 500L with a name like "Java Venti" and perhaps it would have done better, too.

(Hindsight's great in that regard - but reality says that the powertrain was likely the bigger issue for consumers not enthralled with needing higher-octane gas and extremely frequent spark plug changes.)

But back to the Neon/Tipo...

2. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

I have consistently said the Panda would be a better vehicle then the 500, and I have no idea why that not offered here. You add a Cute campaign playing off it name combined with it far more exceptional packaging and you would sell more ..... just like it does in the EU.... Now there talking about a 600? There is already a 4 door 500 the Panda.

3. npaladin2000

npaladin2000 LOAD "*",8,1

I would have said the 500x, but either way, I'm not sure how much more money FCA should pour down the FIAT hole in the US. Growing FIAT as a brand might need to take more of a back seat to filling out Chrysler and/or Dodge.

eastcoaster likes this.
  4. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

More useful packaging and better dealer network are all pluses. Certification is not a great deal of expense on a product that will easily out sell the 124

5. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

Agreed. Don't hate me but the Panda is perfect for the elderly. Easy ingress to the drivers seat and plenty of room, and still maneuverable. Remember all those PT's, Scion xB's and Cubes elderly people were buying up?

UN4GTBL and TripleT like this.
  6. npaladin2000

Not to mention the Souls they're STILL buying up.

Then again, FCA has the Renegade in the "box" space, they have to be careful not to cannibalize those sales. Maybe a 2WD only Chrysler box....

GasAxe and UN4GTBL like this.
  7. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I think the 500L should have taught the importance of an appropriate drivetrain for the market.

500 has a decent powertrain. 500x has a decent powertrain available but is overshadowed by Renegade. 500L was, in my opinion, a very nice handling little box that suffered from some odd styling but mostly a poor engine/transmission selection for this market.

"Neon" looks good with a proper powertrain.

dmcdonald likes this.
  8. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Panda is in the same foot print as a 500 far smaller then a Renegade.

9. npaladin2000

Something that small would probably scare older folks. Remember, they came up in the days of big Detroit iron. They like the smaller boxes because they can slide in instead of climbing down, and then climbing up to get out. You could give them that in that tiny a footprint, but will they buy the idea that it's safe enough?

10. Stratuscaster

It's my opinion that - as far as the US market goes - the Panda is mostly known by regular viewers of Top Gear UK.

Panda also doesn't really "fit" the FIAT US marketing shtick of "Italian boutique."

If and when they decide to play in the lower end of the pool again, then sure - bring on the Panda.

11. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Without a cutsy marketing campaign I think your right, but with a proper campaign even hood graphics on some models it would fit perfect.

[​IMG] not saying it would be cross chopped by a Charger buyer.

12. npaladin2000

No, no, please God just no.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  13. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Dude.... the Soul sells this way... not everyone wants or needs something Cute but half the population trends that way... and that is a giant market. Giant Panda that is.

[​IMG]

UN4GTBL likes this.
  14. npaladin2000

AHHH!!! MY EYES!!!

wtxiceman and TripleT like this.
  15. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

16. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

I do not think you can compare the Renegade to the Soul unfortunately - IE: Renegade starts at $23,540 CAD, Soul? $17,495.

To compete one must have a competitive price point. You cannot say that the Renegade is a "better" vehicle either, as consumer polls are showing the contrary.

17. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

take a Soul out on the trail and you will be picking up parts and pieces..... no they are not comparable vehicles other then rough size.

18. npaladin2000

Size and function is enough for some. Bobbi, in the US the Renegade is only $3k off of the Soul when you compare base models. If you equip them comparably the difference is narrower. And while yeah, the Soul can't hold a candle to the Renegade's capabilities, the Renegade is what FCA has to try and steal Soul sales away from Kia. Until they come up with something closer...like a new-gen PT Cruiser based on the 500L, for example, to sell at Chrysler dealers along side the Dodge Neon. :)

19. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

The "conquest" purchases here care little about Trail Rated capability. This is another "tall car" comparison, as you so avidly support in these forums. Also, the comparison is FWD vs FWD, I doubt the Renegade is any more capable in this format.

$3000 USD is a lot for an entry level, and can make or break an affordable payment for a client. Typically you see entry level and full load buyers, with little in-between. For comparison, a SX Turbo (top trim) Soul is $30,095, or a Limited Renegade for $36,040. $6000 is again, a big difference.

20. Stratuscaster

Renegade vs Soul is like saying the Neon absolutely HAS to go up against, let's say, a Nissan Versa sedan.

No, it doesn't HAVE to. FCA has stated they are not interested in playing in the shallow end of the pool.

Does the content of a base Renegade match up evenly with the content of a base Soul? If it doesn't, then the comparison between those two base models isn't valid.

Mike V. and TripleT like this.