AF: Neon returning as stopgap? | Page 53 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neon returning as stopgap?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by AdminDave, Dec 19, 2016.

1. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

Bolded are Renegade standard feature advantages. Note, the Soul has Bluetooth standard. Do you see $6,000 of value here?

Base Renegade:
    STANDARD EQUIPMENT
    1.4L MultiAir® 16V I-4 Turbo with 6-speed manual
    3 rear-seat head restraints11
    3.5-inch Electronic Vehicle Information Centre (EVIC)
    Cargo tie-down loops
    Cloth seating
    Front and rear carpet floor mats
    Front centre sliding armrest
    Height-adjustable, reversible rear cargo floor
    Manual 6-way driver's seat adjust, with 4-way passenger adjust
    Passenger assist grab handle
    Power windows with front one-touch up and down
    Push-button start
    Radio 3.0 multimedia centre with 4 speakers, USB port and auxiliary audio input jack
    Rear 60/40 split-folding seat
    Capless fuel filler
    Halogen headlamps
    Incandescent taillamps
    Rear window defroster, wiper and washer
    Wheels and Tires: 16-inch Low-Gloss Black styled steel wheels, 215/65R16 LBL all-season tires
    4-wheel disc antilock brakes and Advanced Brake Assist
    7 standard air bags
    Electronic Park Brake with Safe Hold
    Electronic Stability Control (ESC)7 with Electronic Roll Mitigation (ERM), Hill Start Assist and All-Speed Traction Control
    Remote keyless entry with panic alarm
    Tire pressure monitoring system
    Tire service kit
    Trailer Sway Control
    4.438 final drive ratio
    Cargo tie-down loops
    Engine block heater

Note, the Soul has Bluetooth Standard.

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Unfortunately FCA's reputation is such that they can't determine what area of the pool they get to play in.
    They tried deeper water with the 200 and they needed flotation devices (rebates and incentives). Pacifica seems to be faring a little better so far in its move to deeper waters.
    FCA needs years (decades?) of consistency (product names, quality, etc.) before they can truly abandon the shallow end of the pool. So they either leave markets or sell on price. Such is the result of decades of poor decision making.

suzq044, jerseyjoe and GasAxe like this.
  3. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Brand name is not valuable?

Also fit and finish of Renegade is a class above Kia.

suzq044 and TripleT like this.
  4. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Well the $17,395 (+ $0 destination) Kia Soul LX has for example the 130 HP and 118 lb ft engine, has no air conditioning as standard equipment, no keyless entry, ...
    Has the canadian Soul the engine block heater ?

For a comparable power level one has to go to Soul EX model, but is only sold with the 6 speed automatic.

Want a lower cost Renegade? for example a 1.4 with 138 HP cost less than the 160 HP version.

5. 97 plymouth neon expresso

97 plymouth neon expresso Well-Known Member

For the price difference many would choose the Kia over the 2wd Renagade. Renagrade requires premium gas. I have not seen any complaints about the fit and finish of the Soul. Good comparison here:

2016 Jeep Renegade vs 2016 Kia Soul - The Car Connection

6. Not just that -- The Kia warranty is just way better, too. I am a huge Mopar fan, but I'd never buy a Renegade over a Soul. If I buy an SUV not built in America (like the Renegade), then I'm doing it to get the most reliable vehicle possible. Sorry to say, but the Kia/Hyundai powertrains are very likely to have better longevity than the turbo motor in the base Renegade. I'd say it's probably a wash with a 2.4 Renegade, but that is considerably more expensive.....

Do we even need to mention that the Soul was rated highest in class in JD Power Appeal surveys -- while FCA fill up the Consumer Reports most regretted purchases?
    Chrysler really needs to do better, there quality is still lagging behind their competitors......

#1046 73PlymouthDuster, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2017
  7. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Not to mention 2 years of FEA and additions strength that is in every model no matter how the vehicle is used

KrisW and Mike V. like this.
  8. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

Is it though? I'm not sure I'd agree, particularly as it pertains to the Soul vs. Renegade.

9. crouchta

crouchta Well-Known Member

I guess I don't understand the love of Soul.... That thing just misses it with me. To each his own I guess.

Christopher likes this.
  10. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Yet they sold thousands of Patriots and even Darts on that end of the pool quite easily. If you think Kia and others playing on that end of the pool don't also use incentives then you would be incorrect.

Mike

11. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Rugged, longer lasting... it's a Jeep.

Mike

TripleT likes this.
  12. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

FCA's root problem with the 500L is they chose to go with the 500 theme instead of the Panda flavor. Yes, there were powertrain problems, but even as they are addressed, the 500L doesn't have a clear mission other than trying to be a cool station wagon. At least it doesn't get a Panda face, but the 500 with a fat lip face on the "L" isn't much better. The latest Brazilian styling themes would be more popular here. The Panda would be a failure here, it's too small. The 500 is a boutique item and nearly a corporate icon. Just style and sell the L as a Panda.

The Renegade and 500X have bass acwards marketing. FCA tries to sell the 500X as a Jeep and the Renegade as an economy car. That's just my perception from looking at the ads and websites. I realize the Renegade has the Trailhawk package, but Jeep still has to convince consumers their vehicles are fuel efficient. It's hard to achieve that that while maintaining the ruggedness image.

The Tipo/Whatever can't get here soon enough.

TripleT likes this.
  13. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

I agree on the Tipo but Panda would outsell the 500 here for the same reason it outsells it in Europe. Its Cute and more useful. Not just Cute... it is small but surprisingly well packaged for its footprint.

14. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Yes.... what isn't listed

15. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

The Panda would not sell here, it's too small. I've been seeing A-segment cars from Mexico (such as the Nissan Micra) ever since a big corporate concern in my neighborhood received contracts for Latin America. When I see something like that on an American street, it gives me some perspective. Smart cars and the Fiat 500 seem to carry the scale of much better, since neither are considered serious family vehicles by the typical American car buyer. They're in a special niche. Four doors that size strike me as a hard sell here in super-size land.

16. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

It would sell for the same reason is sells better in EU, Yes its small, but for being small and Cute is more Useful and no I don't agree that is carries it scale worse if anything it seems big for it size. Actually rode in one as Taxi in Rome yes a Taxi.... it was astounding the room inside compared to its footprint.

17. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Fiat Panda looks like a crossover and "live" is different than in photo, it is better looking.
    The Panda is an european A segment vehicle, but longer than a Fiat 500, about 10 cm / 4 inches, and taller.

Rumors about 500L are that it was originally a big B segment Panda that than became at last minute a 500L.
    If ones look at the design will see that the lines are the ones of a Panda, also the interior is like that.
    In the side photos two trekking versions.
    A good name for it could be "Multipla".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1057 MJAB, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    TripleT likes this.
  18. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Multipla, this is the original 600 Multipla. The name was derived from italian "multiplo/i" since the car could be used in multiple ways, it had room for 6 persons and rear seats could be made flat to carry goods. There was also a taxi version with luggage cargo space instead of front passenger seat.

19. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Also the name of one of the Oddest car every made to sell in Volume. Eventually it lost it odd snot and light for a more conventional nose job. The tooling was moved to China and is or was recently still made there.

[​IMG]

20. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

The 1998 Multipla is probably one of the most interesting Fiat vehicles of the last decades.
    It had a steel spaceframe structure, with floor area engineered to contain natural gas tanks or batteries.
    The spaceframe allowed reduced tooling costs and the use of same tooling to potentially manufacture different vehicles.

At Geneva auto march 2000 show was showed a Multipla plugin hybrid version, that had around 50 miles range full electric, in hybrid mode it started as electric only and than thermal engine had torque infill from electric motor and braking batteries recharge.
    It had also the "range extender" with vehicle propulsion assured by electric motor and thermal engine recharging the batteries, up to 65 km/h the recharge energy was higher than the one used by electric moto to move the car.
    Electric engine 30 Kw and 130 Nm of torque, batteries NiMh, recharge time connected to house power (220V) 10 hours.
    An initial fleet of ten vehicles was manufactured.

Than always in march 2000, was signed the contract with GM and than all Multipla project and connected projects were drop.

Hybrid version.
    [​IMG]
    CNG version
    [​IMG]

somber, abarthisti and TripleT like this.