Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

neon stage 3 emissions fail

Discussion in 'Neon' started by DEMONIZEDCAT, Mar 1, 2017.

1. DEMONIZEDCAT

DEMONIZEDCAT New Member

I bought a 04 srt4 then installed mopar stage 3 with toys ,pcm was flashed at dodge to marry vin. I have a code scrubber to erase the auto trans codes that pop up . first two times I tried to pass igot codes . all codes are gone now but I failed the 3rd time due to monitors not ready . so I went thru chrysler drive cycle to ready the monitors. well now I have to have a shop sign off on it to take another test but the 7 year old mopar battery is dead after the cold weather . if I put a new battery in will drive cycle still be ok ? illinois test

2. T-Dot25

T-Dot25 Member

If the battery is dead, as you have indicated, your drive cycle is already gone. Replace battery and begin new drive cycle. If the battery is weak and still in the car, and registers under 12 volts, I would just replace and start again. It sucks but when the battery drops below a certain voltage, it can't sustain or maintain proper voltage and monitoring of sensors, etc, which could have been the reason your vehicle was coding prior. With a new battery, you may find that your codes will return with any problems that remain unfixed, intermittent, or problematic. Hopefully not after clearing the pcm and redoing the drive cycle. Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

3. Gerry G

Gerry G Well-Known Member

As a note, for your '04 in Illinois, one of the monitors in the 'not ready' status is acceptable and will not cause a test failure.

T-Dot25 likes this.
  4. DEMONIZEDCAT

DEMONIZEDCAT New Member

Well I took the vehicle in to get alignment done after in stalling new battery and going through chrysler drive cycle to ready monitors. They were going to sign off on my repair of monitors free for me so I could go through emissions but the monitors still say not ready. Why won't they ready themselves
    Is this a loosing battle ? Anyone around chicago area who knows All codes are off !

5. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

If your "code scrubber" is erasing codes then that restarts the not ready monitors.

T-Dot25 likes this.
  6. DEMONIZEDCAT

DEMONIZEDCAT New Member

The only code I had was p0888 that was which you get with the stage pcm .so the code scrubber took care of that but I can't get monitors to ready! These are results of test 1 and 2 the 3rd is identical to 2. 20170302_123410~3.jpg 20170302_123347~2.jpg

7. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

If this is a automatic-transaxle PCM in a stick-shift car, it may not get rid of P0888.
    I have read that the SRT-4 Stage upgrades technically aren't emissions legal. If you read the fine print, they are for "off-road use only".
    You would likely get away with one in a state that looked for a 'ck eng' light and didn't plug into the OBDII connector. I don't know if the Illinois DMV offers an emissions test waiver? Probably not for vehicles on public roads, but it might be something to ask about.
    I had a '96 Neon that I installed a Mopar Performance PCM on. It had a CARB (California Air Resources Board) E.O. certification number and passed state NY emission tests fine. It did OBDII monitor tests and could support cruise control.
    It was for stick-shift only (the lock-up torque converter signal was not there). Mopar recommended the use of 92 octane.
    https://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-265-18.pdf
    If your PCM is not supporting Catalytic converter, Evaporative emissions or O2 sensors ("Not Supported") in the OBD Test Information images that you posted, then I doubt that it is a street legal PCM.

T-Dot25 likes this.
  8. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Stage 2 and Stage 3 were not emission certified, at least that's what I see in old Mopar literature.
    Some system monitors take longer than others to clear. I'd get a cheap OBDII scanner. The one I have will display which systems are and are not ready. I've looked at the code scrubber and can't tell if when it removes code P0888 if it resets the monitors or not.

T-Dot25 likes this.
  9. DEMONIZEDCAT

DEMONIZEDCAT New Member

True they are not street legal but many people that bought them were able to pass I just don't know how they got the monitors ready !

10. ka9yhd

ka9yhd Active Member

Illinois used to offer a waiver after 3 failed tests, but that was a number of years back. You will need to find out if they still offer the waiver.

ImperialCrown likes this.
  11. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I have never heard of a fault code erasure tool that didn't erase the OBDII readiness monitor results as well. A tool that could do that could encourage widespread emissions cheating. You just can't erase one without the other.

12. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Typically after codes are erased or battery changed, you have to drive something like 20-40 ignition starts and as much as 200 miles before it will attain ready status.

13. Gerry G

Gerry G Well-Known Member

My 2 cents worth, just looking at the test information, I do not see a reason why the car failed. That said, being an '04 there are a number of monitors on your ticket that say 'not supported' but were in place for an '04, for example, evap system. The car may be failing because the setup you have does not match/support the monitors the emission test believes you should have.

Given the results in ticket 2, I believe you will need to talk with someone more knowledgeable to explain exactly why your car is failing when your ticket is showing 'ready' and 'not supported', no dtc's and mil off; all good results. Regarding the monitors that are not supported, no amount of drive cycles will ever get them to change from 'not supported' since the pcm does not have a test/check for that monitor (hence the not supported).