Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 2013, 2014, 2015 Dodge Darts for sale in Detroit

Discussion in 'Dodge Dart / Viaggio' started by Fast Eddie, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

There are 3 or 4 dealers here in the Detroit area that have new 2013, 2014, 2015 Darts for sale. If anyone is interested I can post some links for you. I would assume there are some good deals to be made.

RonGD and PCRMike like this.
  2. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

Let me know. I have 2 kids who want a new Dart.

3. PCRMike

Thanks buddy!

RonGD likes this.
  4. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

I wouldn't do it. Trust me I have a 2013 Dart Limited. Maybe I would consider a 2015 model, but don't buy one unless you trust that the dealer can address all issues that will come up and make sure all updates are done before delivery.

5. iNeon

iNeon Well-Known Member

What issues have you had in your 2013 that were addressed later?

How bad has your service at the dealership level been?

Where were all these warnings a year and a month ago when I was car shopping? Everyone kept how bad these cars a secret until right after I bought one in January 2016 and I'm a bit angry/disheartened by it. It was like a veil lifted and there was immediate negativity that was not there just weeks/days earlier.

Two weeks after buying the car Sergio came out and said all the things no one would say before the purchase and the whole thing has soured me on giving Fiat Chrysler another chance with the next car-- and I will not be consulting the y'all's or the internet's knowledge next time-- everyone's biases and our collective high hopes helped me to make a terrible car purchase.

6. tlc

tlc Active Member

I bought mine in June 2016. Been flawless so far. Fun to drive. Manual with the 2.4. Handles great.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  7. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

If you buy a 2015 or later you probably won't have the issues I had, but since I see a few 2013 Limiteds for sale still I would be cautious unless you have a dealer with really good service and makes sure everything is updated prior to delivery.

Here are a few things off the top of my head:

1) Car would not remote start when very cold, car would just shut down immediately. A software update came out to correct it (and it took a while)
    2) Vibrations in steering wheel at high speeds. A software update for the electronic steering came out to address it (and that was after numerous trips to the dealer balancing tires before FCA figured it out)
    3) I've had 2 Uconnect 8.4 radios replaced and numerous software updates. Radio would spontaneously reboot- screen would turn white and reboot. Nothing has permanently fixed this though, but it does not happen very often now.
    4) Creeking noise when turning steering wheel, especially when cold and parking. This also took a while to figure out but the struts were rusting from water entering the strut towers in the engine compartment. The strut caps were not water tight, new redesigned strut caps were used after late 2014 because of this. Had to have front struts and caps replaced
    5) Passenger front seatbelt sensor when out causing an airbag warning (was told this was very common)- had to have the sensor replaced, which essentially was the buckle.
    6) Gas cap gets frozen and will not release. The dealer is supposed to use some type of grease that keeps it from freezing. Later Darts stopped using the cable method to open the gas cap. If you get one with the old cable where you have to open it inside the car make sure you aquatint yourself how to open the gas cap from inside the trunk if it freezes.
    7) My hood prop bar kept coming loose, dealer had to replace the retaining clips.

All of the above should be addressed by your dealer before you get delivery IMHO as FCA has software updates and fixes for them

Here are other things that went wrong with my 2013 Limited that I would categorize as something that may happen to you after delivery.
    8) The bottom black leather cushion on the drivers seat delaminated for me, had to be replaced
    9) Passenger door led lights for the door handle and pocket did not light up at delivery- new wire harness had to be installed in door.
    10) 3 wheel bearings had to be replaced, 2 in the front driver side and 1 in the front passenger side. 1 of the replacements were because I hit a pothole but the other 2 just started making noise and had to be replaced. So far my rear ones have been fine, but I've read a lot of reports from Dart owners who's rear bearings went out too.
    11) Had to have all 3 motor mounts and the transmission mount replaced at 80,000 miles. Car vibrated really bad at idle. I was shocked the mounts had to be replaced already, but it was the fix as the car is smooth as can be now. Car was idling like that for so long I forgot what it was like at first. I suspect the mounts were bad long before 80K miles.

That's all I can remember for now. Good luck.

#8 DBY2014, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  8. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

I have bought and had my cars serviced at one of the dealers listed, Rochester Hills Chrysler and have been totally satisfied for over 15 years with them.

Mopartial likes this.
  9. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

Great to here. The dealers close to me are not great at all. If I did not show them TSBs and had the information for them things still would not have been fixed. As great as a dealer is, it is still frustrating to have to keep going back for service irregardless. The Dart has been a pain in this regard. The time I have spent back and forth is just ridiculous. If you buy a 2013 Dart you're going to have issues, just be prepared.

10. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

My brother has a 2013 Limited. He's had a few problems. Transmission work a couple of times and the blower motor once or twice. All work done has been covered by either the normal warranty or his extended warranty.

He has 149K on it and is debating on purchasing another when he gets home from his business trip in a couple of weeks.

11. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I sure hope those prices are a joke. My brother is looking at a couple of loaded 2016 GTs. He can get them for 21K out the door including the lifetime Maxcare.

12. PCRMike

I owned a 2013 Limited for nearly 80K miles. I had none of those issues. I had a switch below the shifter replaced so the backup camera would come on. No other issues. Rear wheels were out of alignment at delivery, but they took care of that. Mine was a 2.0 auto.

somber likes this.
  13. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Those are the MSRP"S................

14. somber

somber 370,000 miles
    Level III Supporter

We've had similar good luck through around 90K miles with my daughter's 2013 Limited 2.0 auto. She's had a broken hinge on passenger sun visor, broken bracket on catalytic converter that caused a weird howling sound, and I think something to do with her bluetooth connection with her phone (dealer took care of it). I guess this puts it over the average number of problems for JD Power, but since none of the issues were the kind that would strand my daughter, we're happy with it.

Mopartial and PCRMike like this.
  15. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

Glad you all didn't have the issues I have. My 2013 was built in Nov 2012. I don't think none of my issues were petty stuff. Irregardless of my warranty, the time and effort I had to spend to take my car in the dealer is extremely frustrating. I am tired of it. I am about ready to just throw in the towel and trade it even before my 100K Maxcare ends. I am fortunate my job is flexible, don't know how in the heck someone could deal with it if they didn't have the type of job where they could spend all that time dealing with service. The Dart has been a huge inconvenience for me. I hope you have better luck. I'm about ready to go to the dark side and see if the grass is really greener with the foreign brands.

16. 97 plymouth neon expresso

97 plymouth neon expresso Well-Known Member

I don't blame you for bailing, even though you won't get much on trade value. There's no equivalent FCA product anyway, so what are you considering for your next purchase?

17. DBY2014

DBY2014 Active Member

Had a 2016 Toyota Camry SE for a rental for 3 days last week. It had almost 30,000 miles and was still a solid car. I was quite impressed with it. I am giving up a lot of amenities that the Dart has but if I can get a car that drives perfectly fine on the hwy and I don't have to bring to the dealer all the time I would be happy at this point. They are discounting the 2017 Camrys at a dealer near me because the new ones will be out soon. I am very tempted. I do like the new Civic Hatch and the Acura ILX. Who knows what I am going to do.

Citation84 likes this.
  18. 2012srtchallenger

Supporter

you have to remember all companies make lemons,one of my friends bought 2014 Toyota four runner and had to be bought back because they could not fix very bad vibration at hwy speeds,i have been very lucky with Chrysler products for over 35 years,even through Daimler years.

jerseyjoe likes this.
  19. PCRMike

And yours was an early production one. Mine was a May 2013 build and had zero issue. I wonder if that had anything to do with it?